• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How To Run A Pie Eating Contest

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I don't like competitions that are roll-and-lose. The turn something that is fun into a tendon game based only on the results of each die roll --any roll can lose, multiple rolls are needed to win.

Instead of a fail meaning you barf and lose, have a failure be just the loss of a turn while you recompose yourself. I'd adopt some variant of jayoungr's suggestions that allow players to choose their level of risk/reward per turn. Finally, I'd start the contest by putting a pile of poker chips or dice in the middle of the table to represent the total number of pies in the contest. When you successfully 'eat' a pie(s), take the appropriate number of pies from the stack. Game is over when there are no more pies and you count the 'empty plates' in front of each contestant to find the winner. NPCs get their own stacks. That way everyone has immediate feedback on how the contest is progressing and when it's likely to end.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Go by rounds with an increasing DC each round (Con DC 10 + 2/round).

2 strategies which are selected per round:
1) Slow but sure, skill challenge with 3 success before 3 failure. If you fail you're out.
2) All in, one check with Advantage. If you fail you barf (spectacularly out).

If someone barfs, everyone make a Con save DC8 or also barf. Raise the DC to increase the odds of a complete and total barf-o-rama.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Pick a time limit, express it in attempts at pie eating (like rounds).

Assume some base speed of pie eating (ie - no matter what else happens, everyone eats some set amount of pie each turn).

Allow a player to follow one of several strategies each round:
1. Just eat at a normal pace. Spend your action to roll each round with appropriate stat and subtract the DC. That's how much extra pie you eat.
2. Eat at an accelerated pace. Choose a DC up front. Roll, and on a success, you eat (DC - base DC)*N extra pie. Fail and you suffer a penalty (ie - gag, lose your round, hurl, hurl after a set number of gags etc). Set N appropriately
3. Do something else in addition to eating the base amount of pie. Taunt your opponent, disgust your opponent, hide pie, cast a spell, fight back and remove a previous gag etc etc.

Winner is the person with the most eaten pie.

Adjust as appropriate to form chase rules if you feel like it.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Is it a separate supplement, then? Forgive me--I don't know all of what's available for 3.X.

EDIT: Never mind, found it on DriveThruRPG. And I see it's from "EN Publishing." :eek: Well, in my defense, I've played very little D&D 3.5 and even less Pathfinder.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It's not free.
Weird. I owe someone money, then, as I googled it, took the top link, and downloaded a PDF that had all of the things talked about in this thread.

EDIT: it appears to be up on angelfire if you'd like to make a complaint. I've deleted my download.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Weird. I owe someone money, then, as I googled it, took the top link, and downloaded a PDF that had all of the things talked about in this thread.

That awkward moment when you see Google indexes a pirated version of your book before the actual for-sale version.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I might update some more of that material for EN5ider. I did with the Archery Contest rules. A lot of it isn't so much rules as a structure with which to play out an event using existing rules - the archery contest rules, for example, are about how to handle the contest, not the to-hit rolls. That makes it very transferable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads