How Visible To players Should The Rules Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aco175

Legend
I pretty much just play D&D, but understand RPG games in general. I could sit at a table in another system and play, with a lot of questions and not that strategic. Knowing the rules would likely make the game better for me, but if I played and liked the new game then I might get the rules and learn to be able to play again. There is even rules to D&D that I still find that I am not using or using the right way. Heck, how many rules interpretations do we discuss on this site, so maybe nobody is playing the 'correct' way.

Playing D&D, I want my players to know the general rules of the game and the more specific rules on their class and spells if needed. This may be if they have played more than several times. Show some effort and buy the PHB and read through it over the next few months between play. If we have played a campaign over a year and a player is still not showing any signs of learning the game, maybe it is not for them.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The less the players know of the rules the better. Once things like player-facing systems are in the mix you get system mastery as a goal unto itself and rules lawyers. The rules get in the way of the fiction. The fiction is where players and referees should be focused, not the rules.

It’s like that bit from Enter the Dragon. Bruce Lee is pointing at the moon but the student is focused on Bruce’s finger instead. The fiction is the focus, not the rules. The rules only vaguely abstract the fiction and the world. The rules get in the way.

The best gaming I’ve had is playing FKR, where you play the world, not the rules. The second best gaming I’ve had is playing Paranoia, where only the referee is allowed to know the rules. Makes things go so much smoother and faster when the player simply declares what they want to do and you handle it as the referee.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I prefer game rules be 100% transparent, including the reasoning behind why they work a certain way.

In my last session, we encountered a strange phenomenon that affected magic users in an area. The DM asked what kind of spellcasters we were, then had us roll our primary casting attribute. He told me that I had advantage, being an Arcane caster.

Thinking this might be important, I used a Bardic Inspiration die I had to try and succeed at the roll. Having succeeded, the DM told that I was now suffering a penalty- apparently success on the roll is bad!

I'd have been a lot happier knowing that in advance, lol.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Unless you have experienced players I prefer that players only know the basics. Learn the specific details as and when such situations come up in game. My reasoning for this is that I have had players, often new to the hobby, who read the rules and then try to game the system rather than use it as a storytelling/narrative.

Andvari

Hero
It depends a bit on the game, I suppose. Unless the system is very light, I think it's typically best if players have the rules in hand for character creation and development, as well as basic resolution mechanics. I run and play Pathfinder 2E, and the idea of me having to memorize all of the abilities and spells of of every PC is ridiculous. In complex rules system you need to outsource knowledge.

For simpler games like Basic D&D, I think the player should at least be able to read class descriptions, equipment and spells, so they have a menu of options to go by. They don't, strictly speaking, need to know all the combat rules, but they should at least know what things like strength or AC does because they'll be working with those terms as they create their character.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads