• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How well can your players and NPCs maintain concentration for spells?

EroGaki

First Post
Meh, agree to disagree then. Every caster in my group has been forced to take it; there aren't enough spell slots in this edition to blow them every time you stub your toe.

sdt

First Post
Easy solution to Concentration saves is to require it on spells cast on unwilling targets like Hold Person but not on friendly targets like Bless.

aramis erak

Legend
Easy solution to Concentration saves is to require it on spells cast on unwilling targets like Hold Person but not on friendly targets like Bless.

Part of the effect of concentration is to prevent having two concentration spells at once.
Thus, only one bless spell per caster.
No Entangle with Charm Person.
Etc...

It's a great limiter.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Meh, agree to disagree then. Every caster in my group has been forced to take it; there aren't enough spell slots in this edition to blow them every time you stub your toe.

None of the casters in your group have been forced to take it. Every player of a caster in your group chose to take it.

We have 5 casters out of 6 PCs in our group and none of those players have taken it.

Starfox

Hero
Which rules are important in an actual game depends greatly on playstyle. In a confrontational, tactical playstyle I guess concentration checks are common. In a relaxed game focused on storytelling and roleplaying, much less so.

EroGaki

First Post
None of the casters in your group have been forced to take it. Every player of a caster in your group chose to take it.

We have 5 casters out of 6 PCs in our group and none of those players have taken it.

Good for them.

But as the casters in our group lose concentration pretty often, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you and say that, yes, we have been forced to take it.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Good for them.

But as the casters in our group lose concentration pretty often, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you and say that, yes, we have been forced to take it.

Inigo: "You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means"

DaveDash

Explorer
Good for them.

My front line Cleric lost concentration until he took the resilience (con), but the back line casters don't often lose it at all, especially arcane casters with the shield spell.

There are also some great defensive spells for arcanes that don't require concentration. Blink, Mirror Image, Fire Shield, etc..

EroGaki

First Post
My front line Cleric lost concentration until he took the resilience (con), but the back line casters don't often lose it at all, especially arcane casters with the shield spell.

There are also some great defensive spells for arcanes that don't require concentration. Blink, Mirror Image, Fire Shield, etc..

Our cleric has the same issue. But our DM usually has archers or other ranged combatants to fill those in the back lines full of holes.

sdt

First Post
It is too big of a disadvantage to the front line cleric and melee ranger to expect them to maintain Concentration on spells like Bless and Hunter's Mark. They are at a decided disadvantage to a back line cleric and archer ranger. Just make 'friendly' concentration spells NOT require a save when they take damage; the one Concentration spell at a time is limiting enough. Regulating all spell casters to the back line is stupid; even the better Paladin spells become useless because the paladin is going to get many attacks thrown his way (if he's doing his job,) so it's cure spells and the rest will be used to smite evil - this is fine but I'd like other options like trying some of the other spells the paladin (also ranger and cleric) have.

Remove ads