• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How well does a warlock do after level 11?

rfkannen

Villager
Just curious, the warlock starts leveling differently after level 11, does it still do alright? Does the playstyle change much? Any tips on building warlocks that do well after level 11?

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Like most classes they slow down a little, but they still do fine.
12 is an extra feat, which could be 20 Cha, inspiring leader, moderately armored, resilent, healer, +2 con, etc.. plenty of good options.

13 is great, as you get force cage, which can often win a battle.

14 is decent. Possibly a little on the weak side.

15 is just ok.

16 is another feat. Still plenty of good ones.

17 is HUGE. Foresight is a big boost and another spell slot.

Then things change for the worse.
18 is the most empty level in the entire game.

19 is another feat, which is still good, but not enough to go though 18 for.

20 is weak.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I am playing a Warlock, I highly recommend multiclassing after Level 9 or 12 if you really want that feat.

Warlock is a really great class to multiclass no matter the build and since you don't get anything even as good as any other class after level 9 EXCEPT Eldritch invocations. Your spell slots don't get any higher so you don't get your choice of higher level spells or the ability to cast your lower spell at a slot level above 5. Mystic Arcanum are better then nothing but in no way make up for the lose of higher level spell slots. I could recommend any caster class providing lower level spell slots which makes using more efficient use of hex and if you get to level 4 or 5 slots way more casting options than the mystic Arcanum though you do lose all hope of casting any spells above 6.

On the other hand if your not going to a primary caster and magic/eldritch invocations are used as melee support, skill junky options, or even crowd control abilities then I would recommend Paladin or Fighter(Eldritch Knight) for melee both providing spell slots for more flexible spell casting and lvl 5 spell slots that recharge on short rest are great for smity paladins with cure wounds while Eldritch Knight's melee prowess and multi attacks combine with warlock pact of the blade and/or enhanced eldritch blast just makes a stronger Eldritch knight.

For Skill junky I mean ... Bard...charisma... spell slots and skills for days also because of cure wounds with 2 level 5 spell slots that recharge on a short rest you can heal the group with those remaining slots before any short rest to keep group health up.

For Crowd control, I recommend Sorcerers, again charisma based and some good meta magics which help of set the lose of a few eldritch invocations.

I get some of the eldritch invocations you get at lvl15+ are really good but if you compare them vs what you get from 8-11 levels of another good class features its really hard to stay warlock all the way, in my opinion. IF your going Pact of the blade, Hexblade or Fiend, you can hold out to Warlock level 15 and get all but one Eldritch invocation (access to level 15 evocations) while still multiclassing for spell slots and/or multi-attack at level 5, which can replace the warlock invocation thirsty blade meaning you don't really lose ANYTHING by going Eldritch Knight in trade for one eldritch invocation. If you go Eldrich Knight to level 6, you lose level 15 eldritch invocation access but you get your feat back... If you go 9 warlock, 11 Eldritch Knight you get 3 attacks per action, the standard 5 ASI/Feats, and 5 of 8 Eldritch invocations.... Not to shabby.

Again... In my opinion... multicasting warlocks some where between lvl 9 - lvl 17 is almost just common since, this class dies after 17. If you go paladin "smite knight" you can leave warlock at level 7 or 8, but if I started with warlock I would avoid paladin and get the eldritch smite invocation instead. If I started paladin and was just looking to maintain with the group 8 level or warlock would be nice.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
To be fair, you do get an extra invocation at that level.

While true, I find I can usually get all the abilities I REALLY want out of the first 6-7 of the 8 invocations you can get and I am would just be trying to find interesting niche filler abilities for the last one or two. On top of that if you measure the value of what you get from any one invocation against what you get from taking 3, 4, or even 5 levels of any other class.... Its not even close to comparable, the class is going to give you so much more even dropping the 9th level Mystic Arcanum.

While true, I find I can usually get all the abilities I REALLY want out of the first 6-7 of the 8 invocations you can get and I am would just be trying to find interesting niche filler abilities for the last one or two. On top of that if you measure the value of what you get from any one invocation against what you get from taking 3, 4, or even 5 levels of any other class.... Its not even close to comparable, the class is going to give you so much more even dropping the 9th level Mystic Arcanum.
The 9th level Mystic Arcanum is foresight, which grants advantage on all checks all day every day. That's not something to be ignored lightly.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
High level Warlocks make great targets for Simulacrum.
Pact Magic might not work past the first, but free-cast Invocations and Mystic Arcanium do!

Dausuul

Legend
My warlock is still low-level, but here's how I look at the horizon:

• First and foremost: It doesn't matter what you can do at level 20. It matters what happens along the way. If you spend most of your character's career slogging through near-dead levels, eyes fixed on the prize at the end, you'll spend most of your career doing boring stuff.
  • That goes for multiclassing, too. I would never even consider multiclassing if the multiclass didn't offer significant benefits within 1-2 levels. 5 is right out. Four levels of waiting for your new features to come online while the rest of the party races ahead... that's too much, man.
  • To me, Mystic Arcanum looks like the biggest draw of the high-level warlock. The invocations are nice, but forcecage, plane shift, foresight, psychic scream... those are where it's at.
  • Bladelocks have a strong incentive to stay the course till 12th, for Lifedrinker. Other warlocks can jump ship at 9th; it only slows down your next ASI by one level, and you've already earned enough to hit Cha 20, anyway.
  • Paladin 2 is great for bladelocks, with Divine Smite powered by warlock slots. Sorcerer and bard give you a nice expansion of your cantrip list, but take a while to do much more than that. Fighter 2 gives you exactly one thing - Action Surge - but that one thing is sooooooo good...
  • Personally, I'm inclined to stay with warlock, because I'm all about the high-level spells. But I can see a strong case for multiclassing, too.

jgsugden

Legend
I advanced a warlock from 12 to 20. It was a blast. You can enjoy it plenty. And I didn't go foresight.... true polymorph was more fun.

Irda Ranger

First Post
One house rule I've implemented when I'm DM is that the Mystic Arcanum slots are just normal spell slots that regenerate after a long rest. So you can cast one of your lower-level spells using a level 6-9 slot, or cast one of you level 6-9 spells more than once per day.

As for multiclassing, I'm currently an 8th level GOO-Tomelock, and I cannot see multiclassing before level 11. I'll lay out the logic-

9th: 5th level spells (obviously a must)
10th: Cantrip + Patron Feature. Sort of "Meh" my GOO/Tome build, I'll admit. The Fiend feature is great.
11th: 3 spell slot/SR. HUGE.

The third spell slot is really the killer feature here. Combined with my Rod, you're looking at up to 4 5th level spells in a single fight. BOOM.

12th level is also tempting for the ASI/Feat, of course, but I've already got CHR 20, so there isn't anything I "have to" have. There's also no Invocation equivalent to Lifedrinker for Tomelocks, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Remove ads