• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How well does a warlock do after level 11?

jgsugden

Legend
I found that it was a no brainer to continue as a warlock going from 11 to 12 - and all the way to 17th. When the Warlock was running around at 17th level with 22DCs on a bunch of powerful spells, it was devastatingly strong. Getting a few more slots of lower level was not that important to me, even when it came with metamagic and sorcerer class abilities. I found that I had the slots necessary to cast meaningful spells to help us gain control of a combat and was able to downgrade to cleanup cantrips/unlimited spells when the combat was well in hand.

At 11th level I had unlimited silent images and eldritch blasts. I had a ritual book loaded with utility rituals that I cast quite often outside combat. I had Mass suggestion once per long rest as well as 7 castings of Banishment, Hypnotic Pattern, Banishment, and Hold Monster and a bunch of utility spells if I wanted to cast them. I contributed a lot and had the highest DC on my spells in the party. I was not struggling for spells anymore. So, from there on out, it was more important for me to add power to the PC rather than volume of spells to the PC.

To be fair, you do get an extra invocation at that level.

I think if they added really juicy Otherworldly Patron subclass capstone abilities at 18th level in addition to the 8th invocation that it probably would have balanced the perception that the class was weak at higher levels.

The only other class obviously crying out more for additional subclass levels is the Bard maybe at the expense of some of their core abilities (which are many, in addition to their full spellcasting) and maybe Sorcerer which needs to get some extra oomph from somewhere.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads