• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How will 4E skills be? SWSE or IH

crossfirecreek

First Post
How do you think the skills will be handled in 4e. We know things will be combined, like move silent and hide, but in what way?

Do you think it will be more like Star Wars Saga (1/2 level, plus ability, plus trained, plus focus) or,

Like Iron Heroes (skill points you spend to raise ranks, but each class has access to ‘skill groups’ which combine related skills like move silent and hide, so when you spend a skill point on a group, all skills in that group go up a rank. You can still spend skill points on skills outside your groups and raise them one-for-one. There are no cross-class-skills)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My bet is on similar to SAGA.

Less skills, everybody has some training in them.

Specifically, they mentioned that no PC would ever be caught without an essential skill just because they didn't invest in it. That screams "free skills all around!" to me.

pawsplay

Hero
I hope it doesn't scream "+10 to a skill at 1st level" however. That's one of a couple of things I actually don't like about the Saga skill system.

Aus_Snow

First Post
All the things I've heard from WotC have indicated that Saga is a significant preview for the way 4e will go. That, and the Book of 9 Swords. I also get the impression that something much like reserve feats in effect, and a Warlock-ish class will feature strongly. But anyway.

pawsplay

Hero
Aus_Snow said:
All the things I've heard from WotC have indicated that Saga is a significant preview for the way 4e will go. That, and the Book of 9 Swords. I also get the impression that something much like reserve feats in effect, and a Warlock-ish class will feature strongly. But anyway.

It burnsss!!! It burnsss!

Aus_Snow

First Post
pawsplay said:
It burnsss!!! It burnsss!
Muh?

Feeling very bleary this time of Sunday night Monday morning. Um, I'll just take it at face value that you don't like much of what you've heard, so far.

In which case, I can sympathise. But either way, I'm willing to see how it all turns out.

Anyway, yeah, I get the feeling skills will be Saga-style.

pawsplay

Hero
Aus_Snow said:
Muh?

Feeling very bleary this time of Sunday night Monday morning. Um, I'll just take it at face value that you don't like much of what you've heard, so far.

In which case, I can sympathise. But either way, I'm willing to see how it all turns out.

I'm just specifically not pleased with the idea of Bo9S infecting, say, the vanilla fighter or rogue, and while I like the warlock as a walorkc, I don't consider eldritch blast appropriate for wizards or sorcerers.

Greg K

Legend
crossfirecreek said:
Do you think it will be more like Star Wars Saga (1/2 level, plus ability, plus trained, plus focus) or,

Like Iron Heroes (skill points you spend to raise ranks, but each class has access to ‘skill groups’ which combine related skills like move silent and hide, so when you spend a skill point on a group, all skills in that group go up a rank. You can still spend skill points on skills outside your groups and raise them one-for-one. There are no cross-class-skills)

Neither. Both skill systems turned me off to their respective games. I was telling some of the people in our group (1 who DMs for another group) about how skills work in SW Saga and they all thought it was lame.

drothgery

First Post
pawsplay said:
I hope it doesn't scream "+10 to a skill at 1st level" however. That's one of a couple of things I actually don't like about the Saga skill system.

That has its advantages, though; it means you can make a noheroic 1 that's unquestionably an expert in a skill, and so goes a long way to addressing the 'why does the elderly, noncombatant master sage have better combat stats than my 4th-level soldier' problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads