How Would 3.75 Impact Your 4.0 Decision

How would 3.75 impact your 4E spending habits?

• I'd get 4E and not 3.75. "It's not 'D&D'"

Votes: 145 49.8%
  • I'd get 3.75 and not 4E. "4E is not my 'D&D'"

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • I'd get both. I love having more games.

Votes: 23 7.9%
  • I'll decide later, wait for the reviews, flip through the pages of both and decide then.

Votes: 65 22.3%
  • "PLANE SHIFT!" "Lets earn some XP!"

Votes: 30 10.3%

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
dmccoy1693 said:
Assuming this is representative of the total market (and obviously its not a perfect representation but it is definitely telling) any small overhead company could live very well off of 18+(unknown amount of undecided)% of the D&D market.

Hmmm ... well, let me just say that you will probably be getting a lot of posts talking about how much an online poll is representative of reality. :D

I would definitely not stake my or any one elses money on a plan to "live very well" off a subset of the D&D market.

Maybe I would put in money if someone had a plan to "scrape by" off a subset of D&D gamers. That at least would strike me as a realistic goal.

/M

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You know, from this...

WayneLigon said:
One thing I mentioned on the Paizo thread: do a 'Arcana Unearthed'. That, to my mind, was a '3.25'; magic system changes, spell changes, magic item changes, new classes, new feat concepts, etc. If you're going to do a "Pathfinder RPG" then make it something uniquely Pathfinder. They're already making changes to monster fluff, so why not go whole hog?

And this...

Eric Mona said:
but for Paizo, "3.75" is just a code name for what we would do _after_ supporting 3.5 for a while, once you could not reliably get 3.5 rulebooks anymore. The core of our audience would have those books, so it might not be an immediate need. Eventually, we'd take the OGL version of 3.5 and update it into a new game that addresses commonly agreed upon problems, and from that point forward we'd essentially be publishing an RPG independent of Hasbro and Dungeons & Dragons.

There might actually be something to this. Its not just Arcana Unearthed, there was also Conan, True20, even Castles and Crusaders... all OGL sword and sorcery games. Hmm.

Jack99

Adventurer
I would still buy 4e. I would check 3.75 out, but it would have to be better by quite a margin in order for me to switch.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Cadfan said:
I wouldn't even look at it.

Why would I? Why in the world would a 3.75 be a better idea than just continuing to publish under 3.5?

These are my thoughts as well. (Although 3.75 may be a misnomer since, in Paizo's case, they would probably just be printing a 3.5-like book to have something available for their adventures that isn't out of print as 3.5 would be.)

I might make a "3.75" of my own with house rules, but I wouldn't purchase it. (My main beef with 4.0 is the timing. The last thing I want to do is buy another edition.)

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
If I convert to 4e, then I will have no interest in a 3.75e. If I do not convert to 4e (as seems likely at present), then I may well be interested in a 3.75e.

Were I running a d20 company right now, there is absolutely no way I would consider putting out a 3.75e. The only way I can see it doing well is if the Digital Initiative tanks and takes D&D with it... which is not impossible, but I wouldn't bet my company on it.

Arnwyn

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
So time to say, if this scenario does happen (even temporarily) how will this influence your spending habits?
It won't at all (i.e. none of the above in the poll - or PLANE SHIFT!). My players and I are no longer in any position to get a new game (4e, 3.75, or otherwise).

Edit: OTOH, I would be more likely to by adventures based on 3.75; 4e adventures would be ignored.

Last edited:

Remove ads