• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would YOU build a Goliath Wizard?

Eric Meyer1

First Post
I've actually just built one! Now, normally I'd go with the Off-Tank abjurer, but since this guy is coming in to replace the Tank that was my LAST character, and the party already has 2 OTHER tanks... I need to not tank.

I do like the idea of a more brutal, shamanistic, atavistic wizard, and for that, I found a 'school' on Middle Finger of Vecna called the Prehistoric Wizard, which is basically saying that your Wizard is Wizarding from before it was a known, taught, learned pursuit. Still doing magic with intellect and learned gestures, etc, but learning those things through trial and error instead of being taught them. One of the suggested things is actually having your spellbook be tattoos or a cave wall or tablets of carved stone or something. My guy's been Encino-Man'd, and is gonna be found in a block of ice.

Undrhil

Explorer
I made a Goliath Necromancer that I play in Adventurer's League. He's really focused on finding a rare book to gain entrance to Candlekeep, in the hopes that therein lies some rare Necromantic tomes.

After playing with a caster with very low spread out stats, i might change stats a bit around.

Str: 14+2
Dex: 12
Con 13+1
Int 15
Wis 10
Cha 8

I am content with 12 Dex and accept that I am rather easy to hit.
I'd start with 14 Con and will prepare to take resilient con at level 8 I guess.
Before I would most probably raise int to 16 at level 4 to prepare for level 5. You also raise con to 15 to prepare for resilient con. That is the time when you need to transition from versatile staff to fireball. With sword coast adventurer's guide you have booming or greenflame blade to stay relevant in melee. At level 8 you have 16 in all relevant stats. You have a con save of +6 which is quite reiable. You can lower damage by d12+3 to prevent a con save from marginal damage.
If you take warmage or abjurer slightly lower AC is irrelevant. You can also reliably keep concentration.

Brashnir2

First Post
Would this build work okay? I was thinking about it today.

Goliath
Wizard (was thinking Conjurer, but Divination would make more sense)
Sage - Astronomer
HP: 9
Str: 16 +3
Dex: 12 +1
Con: 16 +3
Int: 14 +2
Wis: 8 -1
Cha: 8 -1

Spell Save DC 12 Spell Attack 4

Saves:
Int +4 Wis +1
Skills:
Athletics +5 Arcana +4 History +4 Insight +4 Investigation +4

Spells:
Cantrips - Blade Ward, Mage Hand, True Strike
Level 1 - Chromatic Orb, Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Shield, Sleep

Switch out True Strike for literally any other Cantrip and I love it.

Switch out True Strike for literally any other Cantrip and I love it.

Or keep it. For use with chromatic orb its actually not totally useless. You can make sure your spell slot is not wasted. Also with my crossbow using arcane trickster i wished I had it to negate disadvantage on ranged attacks at long range once in a while. An alternate spell would be minor illusion. You can create a wall to hide behind so you get advantage due to being unseen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads