• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you choose a philosophy in D&D world?

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a level 1 commoner. I'm in a fantasy world. Multiple different philosophies, traditions, and religions all seem to produce miraculous results. Which would you choose to follow? How would you choose?

Comic for reference.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The gods demonstrably exist and regularly intervene in the affairs of mortals. Seems like the only sane thing to do is devote yourself to the most powerful Good-aligned god or pantheon you can.

Greenfield

Adventurer
First, I've never consciously chosen a philosophy in my life. I don't know that a commoner in the D&D world would be that different.

Most people in polytheistic societies pray to and worship all the deities in the pantheon. Greeks prayed to Aphrodite when they wanted love or children, prayed to Poseidon when they went to sea, prayed to Artemis before a hunt, etc.

Which deity do they favor? That's probably arrived at in an evolutionary manner: Their personality will dictate their Alignment (in terms of philosophy), and that, along with their trade or interests would certainly influence which deity they prayed and made sacrifices to most frequently.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It would be character driven. Even a polytheistic commoner might pray most often and more earnestly to a god who rules over a major aspect of his or her life. A farmer might favor a harvest god or one of civilization. Or even more specifically, one who is in charge of more particular crops, like the Corn Lord, or the God of Alcohol. A soldier or mercenary might pray to a war deity. A judge to a Goddess of Wisdom. Miners pray to lords of the earth; sailors to those ruling wind and wave.

The god favored by your family would be a likely choice, just like in our world.

Also, if there's a patron god of the settlement, or of the country, or the noble rulers, that might also be a good choice.

Or, as folks said, just want you like. A similar thing in my life was Confirmation as a Catholic -- you choose a saint to be your second middle name. People choose the saint they like. Some people like the patron saint of the land of the ancestors (e.g., Patrick for the Irish, Anthony for the Italians). My sister chose the saint that was already her middle name so got it twice, so it was essentially picked by our parents. I choose the saint my uncle and grandfather were named after -- but mostly because I thought that saint's story was really cool.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
First, I've never consciously chosen a philosophy in my life. I don't know that a commoner in the D&D world would be that different.

If you can cast fireball or speak to plants or get a sweet deal on a demonstrably real afterlife, I think there's incentive to make a conscious choice.

S

Sunseeker

I'm a practical person, so whichever god offers the least amount of devotion for the most amount of freedom, and I'm happy.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I would follow whatever Philosophy either gave me the best stuff or looked like they were ripe for me to take over and bend to my will.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads