• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you choose a philosophy in D&D world?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I tend to view the real-world philosophical worldviews I ascribe to as rather lacking in overt supernatural displays.

So going from a world where nobody has overt supernatural displays, to a world in which everybody has them, isn't going to change the (negligible) importance of those displays in making my decision.

I'm going to pursue any non-deific magic available to me, and I am going to be become a god and then use my godlike power to help as many other people as possible become gods themselves, and if I'm going to worship any other gods along the way, it's going to be on the basis of their enthusiastic support for both of those goals. Like in real life, except with an actual chance of succeeding in this lifetime.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I tend to view the real-world philosophical worldviews I ascribe to as rather lacking in overt supernatural displays.

So going from a world where nobody has overt supernatural displays, to a world in which everybody has them, isn't going to change the (negligible) importance of those displays in making my decision.

I'm going to pursue any non-deific magic available to me, and I am going to be become a god and then use my godlike power to help as many other people as possible become gods themselves, and if I'm going to worship any other gods along the way, it's going to be on the basis of their enthusiastic support for both of those goals. Like in real life, except with an actual chance of succeeding in this lifetime.
Almost promethian. Or cultish.

Celebrim

Legend
Most ordinary humans in my campaign are neutral. They are uninterested in philosophical questions and are simply struggling to survive. They treat philosophy something like a buffet, taking what they like from it, primarily from the standpoint of, "How does this benefit me?" Most of them are fairly cynical concerning the gods and philosophy and the like. The common complaint is that the 'good' gods charge reasonable 'fees' but are too picky about your 'credit rating'. While the 'evil' gods are like loan sharks that will do business with anyone, but their fees will eat you alive. Most people spend most of their time thinking that they are in some fashion getting the better of the system, cheating both good and evil (or law and chaos for that matter) with their cleverness.

As a GM, I tend to try to keep my personal biases hidden. Nominally, all the philosophies on the great wheel make good arguments. Just as with the NPCs in my game, it should not be obvious to the PC's who is right and who is wrong. They are expected to bring their own ideas to the table and try to explore them.

Since none of you are in my campaign, I'll risk revealing my author insertions.

There are two deities in my homebrew that I feel especial sympathy for, and who would be I think my patrons where I within my homebrew.

The first is Pitarian the God of Fools (Chaotic Good). Pitarian attracts me because of his forgiving nature, the fact he holds no grudges, his humility and his deep compassion. He's more than he seems at first, and despite being a figure of fun and mockery and even scorn, he's actually I think one of the most heroic individuals within my multiverse. 'Paladins' of Pitarian are hilarious as NPCs, and some of my favorite characters to run. I just wish I was witty enough to do one justice.

And the second is Kanafa the God of the Small (Neutral Good), the unpopular incarnation of humility and protector of the weak and lowly. Kanafa clerics are always fun.

PC: "I'm super-important and powerful."
Cleric: "That must be nice."
PC: "Yes, well, I'm trying to save the world."
Cleric: "That sounds like a very noble quest."
PC: "Yes, well, it's very hard work and all so you should definitely consider helping me out."
Cleric: "I'm sorry, but that sounds like much to important work for me. You see, while important people like you are doing big things, it's my job to see that the small things don't go undone."
PC: "Yes, but it's the fate of the whole world at stake!"
Cleric: "Well, I wish you the very best then, and I'm glad you are on the job. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some small and unimportant things to do."
PC: "Is he casting greater restoration on a sick cat??"
Cat: "Meow"

Celebrim

Legend
Almost promethian. Or cultish.

He'd actually get along really well with the BBEG of my current campaign.

I always wonder that the people who want to become gods and make other people into gods don't take a good hard look around at what the likely consequences of that would be. It's amazing how many otherwise truly intelligent people think that making themselves into a god would be a good idea.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
He'd actually get along really well with the BBEG of my current campaign.

In my experience, people who qualify for those initials aren't much interested in reaching back to help other people up the ladder once they've climbed it. Instead, they tend to reach the top and try to pull the ladders up after themselves.

I always wonder that the people who want to become gods and make other people into gods don't take a good hard look around at what the likely consequences of that would be. It's amazing how many otherwise truly intelligent people think that making themselves into a god would be a good idea.

If there are any gods at all, then some percentage of the entire population of sentient beings are gods; why would you ever believe that the world would be a better place-- for anyone but the gods-- by keeping that percentage lower than it possibly could be? The concentration of massive power in few hands always, always leads to needless suffering.

The gods know this. Thus, any god that would claim to be Good must be opposed to it.

Kaodi

Hero
The gods you worship are probably going to be defined mostly by who is most likely to screw you over if you do not venerate them (worship is probably a strong word in many cases). If there are any actually good deities they should, by their nature, not be given over to actively screwing people over. So their ability to protect you from being screwed over has to be greater than the competitions' inclination to screw you over else there is no reason to submit to their doctrines.

Everybody who depends on the weather for their lives or livelihood are definitely going to park first at the altars of those deities. Because dying in a storm or starving to death from losing your crops is not cool. Gods governing professions may be a bit more take 'em or leave 'em.

Celebrim

Legend
In my experience, people who qualify for those initials aren't much interested in reaching back to help other people up the ladder once they've climbed it. Instead, they tend to reach the top and try to pull the ladders up after themselves.

No, that's not the problem in this case. He really does have a plan to share the power. He's really serious about it. In a sense, he's a very selfless person.

The problems in this case are not something I want to specify, since my players haven't yet fully figured it out. But one problem that they have encountered repeatedly is that if you think, "At some point in the future, I'm going to be a god.", then it tends to go with the thought, "I can break anything I want along the way to that goal, because once I attain it, then I can put everything right." In other words, the BBEG believes that the ends are so good, that any amount of evil - any amount of collateral damage if you will - along the way is justified by the ultimate goal. Once he makes humanity into gods, then all that brokenness he created along the way can be fixed - the dead can be raised, the maimed healed, the impoverished enriched, and so forth.

If there are any gods at all, then some percentage of the entire population of sentient beings are gods; why would you ever believe that the world would be a better place-- for anyone but the gods-- by keeping that percentage lower than it possibly could be?

Well, for one thing, I've lived in my head. I can assure you, you don't want me to be a god. There are actually a bunch of other problems with the statement, but I think it's enough to stop there.

And no one that would covet that power could be trusted with it. Why would you ever believe that increasing the percentage would be to anyone's good? Humanity for example, surely some percentage of the entire population of sentient beings and all the ones we can easily enumerate, is notorious for not using its power wisely or responsibly. What makes you think that giving any of them more power than they have would work out well? And since when have ever the members of that race which strive for power been the sort you'd most want to obtain power? It doesn't in my opinion seem to matter much how you spread out the power. Whether anarchy or autocracy, humanity seems to find a way to be miserable. And it's not like the wealthy and powerful seem to get less problematic, nor do the poor and disempowered consistently cover themselves in glory. There are problems here that go much deeper than how you arrange the chairs.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In other words, the BBEG believes that the ends are so good, that any amount of evil - any amount of collateral damage if you will - along the way is justified by the ultimate goal. Once he makes humanity into gods, then all that brokenness he created along the way can be fixed - the dead can be raised, the maimed healed, the impoverished enriched, and so forth.

I like that villain’s twistedness. Nicely conceived, C.

As a GM, I tend to try to keep my personal biases hidden.

Since none of you are in my campaign, I'll risk revealing my author insertions.

Cool. Not that anyone asked, but:
(a) I agree with you on a mostly neutral world, with NPC's with their own agendas.

(b) I try to act neutral about the gods. In general, I think some gods are cooler than others, but if a PC is into a god, I'll look deeper and see what's interesting about that god, which is often a lot. I see the appeal of Fharlanghn, Rao, Heimdall, and others. And understanding what makes a PC's god "tick" is helpful to DMing.

(c) But my secret favored god is St. Cuthbert. I loved the Dragon adventure about going to 1980's London and St. Cuthbert being the actual English ancient saint. So in my campaign (a Greyhawk campaign), not only is that true, but, St. Cuthbert's power as a D&D god is because of actual God . . . so Cuthbertinism is the one "true" religion in my campaign world. The others are lesser gods, or maybe saints, or devils . . . don't know, don't really care anymore than the average peasant does. But St. Cuthbert is the real deal . . . and once, a real "miracle" in the campaign world happened by his intersession . . . the players aren't on to me yet, I think, but NPC's far and wide know the story and are often impressed by the PC cleric of the Saint who was granted the miracle.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
And no one that would covet that power could be trusted with it.

That's a lie told by the powerful to keep the powerless from reaching above their station.

Why would you ever believe that increasing the percentage would be to anyone's good?

Power is relative. When everyone has power, it's much harder for anyone to have power over anyone else. And even when power is not universal, the larger and more diverse the portion of the people that possess it, the less abusively the powerful can afford to use it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads