• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Would You Have Handled the Forgotten Realms?

How Would You Have Handled the Forgotten Realms?

• Advance the Timeline

Votes: 60 45.1%
  • Reset Button

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Choose a Different Continent

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Go into the Past

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Reduce the Fluff

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 25 18.8%

Brian Compton

First Post
I'd avoid New Continent and Earlier Time. Dragonlance tried a new continent and I don't think it went over well. Likewise, the Realms did the Arcane Age, and other than the Cormanthor material, it wasn't all that popular. Our group didn't even play in the timeline, we just liked the flavor stuff.

I don't really see how an "Ultimate" FR would work out, either. When Marvel did it, it wasn't like everyone had to chuck all their old issues of SPIDER-MAN and X-MEN to enjoy the new stories. I think you'd definitely lose your old players, and I don't know how many new players it would acquire.

Much as I hate to admit it, I think advancing the current timeline is the only way to go. It keeps all the old history and information valid, while allowing for new directions. It also allows for some old plot threads to finally get resolved (the hints of Lathander evolving into Aumanator and the establishment of the new Myth Drannor, for instance). Then gamers can either take it or leave it.

Not a fan of the reset. Only is cases such as DC's Crisis on infinite Earths.
I would advance the timeline or if they where determined to reboot I would do one super-adventure that does a Crisis like event that reinvents the realms after the dust settels.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The Realms definately needed a diet. It has been so long since it stopped being Greenwoods interesting and eccentric homebrew and became a great bloated mass built by too many TSR and WotC employees.

Of course, contastantly blowing up worlds (see Dragonlance) has its own downsides.

Yep, tough decision.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I don't dislike advancing the timeline, but a reboot seems to be a workable option, since a lot of the issues I hear about with running a Realms game are the masses and masses of lore.

Maybe call it "Crisis of the Infinite Realms" and scrub it clean?

Brad

GVDammerung

First Post
delericho said:
Honestly?

If the powers-that-be were absolutely determined to make the changes to the game that they are making, then I would retire the Realms. Make a whole new setting built from the ground up for the new environment, and sell people on that.

However, if that were declared to not be an option, for whatever reason, then I would use the Reset Button, and do "Ultimate Realms" or a BSG-esque reboot.

Exactly mirrors my thoughts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads