D&D 4E How would you re-envision Ravenloft for 4e.

Toben the Many

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
Why? If the Gazetteers were re-released as rules-neutral setting books, anyone could play in the Domains they wish to. The Core book would have enough of an overview to allow people to get started.
Two problems right there. For one, word "re-released". If you re-release something that's pretty much the same as it was before, not as many people buy it.

As an aside, I don't think that releasing a series of Gazetteers again would work. The Gazetteers, while being excellent for Ravenloft, and perhaps the best of all of the 3e material, were the worst selling products in the line. That's because usually just one person in a group bought a Gazetteer (the DM) and then usually the DM just bought one Gazetteer - the one featuring the domains he/she needed.

I think what Ravenloft would have to do is to release a single, large Gazetteer or world book, much like what is done in many other settings. Anyhow...moving on.

You do need to do something though to reduce what I think of as "the reverse-Elminster problem." The Darklords are too powerful and too all-seeing.
Interesting you should say that. Because the Darklords aren't really all that powerful and all-seeing.

For example, Ivana Boritsi is an Expert, I think. I mean, that's it. No wizard levels, no sorcerer levels. Many of the other Darklords aren't really anything powerful, with many of them with NPC levels. Also, few of them have access to scrying abilities. Keep in mind that many Darklords have died over the years. So they certainly aren't untouchable. Azalin stands alone as having ridiculous amounts of power (more than any god in 3rd edition, as a matter of fact).

However you raise an excellent point. And that is that there is this perception that the Darklords are all-powerful and all-seeing. And that would definitely need to change. Because you're right. That's what turns most people off from Ravenloft.

I think the main way to do this is to give the Darklords something better to fear / do than bother the PC's all the time. I think Toben's suggestion of allowing war between the Domains is a good one (not the only solution, but a good one). Keep the Domains as (imperfect) prisons, but allow the Darklords to war upon each other absorb the Domains of the loser. Whatever benefit they derive some absorbing a new Domain should be great enough that they'll spend 98% of their time either trying to absorb neighboring Domains (if in a strong position) or defending against any such attacks (if in a weak position). To keep the Domains as prisons though it should be clear that Darklords can only enter Domains immediately neighboring theirs, and only for short periods of time.
I agree 100 percent.

It might be something as simple as - if you exit your Domain, you lose all of your cool Darklord powers. Which is sort of an insidious way to make a prison. I can see many of the Darklords in Ravenloft never leaving their Domains because they don't want to give up their power. I think it would play right into the constant theme of irony in the setting if basically, the Darklords could really leave their Domains at any time, but each of them is so addicted to having access to their powers that they feel like they can't leave.

Occasionally however a Darklord may end up not being powerful enough to control his new Domains, and parts of it will splinter off into new Domains or be absorbed by neighbors. This will allow for turnover within the campaign and explains why Azalan or whomever hasn't absorbed all of Ravenloft by now - he's reached the limit of what he can control, and he knows it. But that doesn't mean he won't just kill one of his Darklord neighbors if they piss him off too much, so neighbors are still afraid of him.
Interesting.

The best side-effect of preoccupying Darklords with each other is that this allows lots of lesser evils to pop up like toadstools after a rain storm. Werewolves can take over whole villages, infernal cults can establish temples and low-order assassin guilds and blood-thirsty bandits can be a menace that low-level PC's can try to deal with.
I like this a lot and totally agree.

I'd also like to see a new Core class (probably a Skill-monkey/Striker) like the Rogue (or maybe just a Rogue-variant), but with less emphasis on burglary and more emphasis on tomb exploring and undead/were-creature killing (think Van Richten meets Indiana Jones). This could possibly be handled with Feats, Talents, Paths, Skill-specials etc. depending on how those work in 4E.
That could be handled easily with Paragon paths.

Najo

First Post
bringerofbroom said:
how about:

the domains of ravenloft are a cluster of astral domains floating in the astral sea close to the nine hells. the influence of the nine hells causes the closed nature of ravenloft, and occasionally domains will be pulled in to ravenloft, and occasionally they will spin off in to the astral sea. Ravenloft need change very little, but it can be integrated in to the new cosmology.

I think it is possible with 4e to not try and make the comosologies of each setting work together. Ravenloft could be completely independant of Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Birthright, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc.

Sure, you could keep things like sithicus, and there could be the occasional ode to something disappearing in one setting and being sucked into Ravenloft, but I think trying to plop ravenloft into the planes actually hurts the feel of the game setting.

The heart of the game setting is evil powers being gathered and imprisioned on a plane where their subconcious failures, fears and frustrations haunt them and the place where they commited their evil is replicated into the land itself.

Some how, Ravenloft needs a more playable world and natural feeling world. When I ran Ravenloft, I actually took the domains and correlated them to European countries. Renamed the countries using the domains, and then set my time period about the 1600s. It wasn't meant to be earth, but the world itself played better. The mists were still there as a plot device, domain lords were still given territories they ruled over, except with space between them, the tech level was kept with black powder and spread around a bit so things felt like a natural world with theis darkness hanging over it.

In fact, it was like a historic World of Darkness meets Ravenloft, and it worked really well.

I think it would be interesting to alter the concept of domains much in the same way Expedition to Castle Ravenloft worked by tying key landmarks/sites to the powers of the domain. Eliminate the barriers to crossing from one domain to the other, but the domain advantages would keep the lords within thier area while allowing the others to roam, for once a Lord leaves their domain, the additional powers become domant and others can take over those key landmarks/sites easily.

My home campaign is normally 'set' in Ravenloft, and most of the characters are not aware of the fact. Having it be a plane attached to the Material through the Shadowfell would be interesting, but cosmology doesn't matter much to me. The main issue is to make it so planar travel to and from is very difficult and dangerous.

Unless you expect the domain lords to be undefeatable, the domains would have to be mutable, shifting locations. The Vistani could have a unigue ability to know how to get from one place to another without wandering into a dangerous area.

I would reduce the impact of the Mists, leaving the 'snatched from the real world' effect to only one case, when a new Domain is grabbed. The main reason for the mists is to hide the mutable land and misdirect travelors. In the PoL conceit, the Mists become the real unknown terror that keeps villagers within the bounds of thier community for fear of becoming completely lost.

Definately would need a good horror-stricken mechanic and some means of handling Taint :)

A campaign arc bridging the alterations between settings could be cool, if done right. Perhaps a DragonBorn domain appears and the warrior race pushes out against the other Lords and gaining enough power to push through the Shadowfell...and the PC's have to save the Material world by saving the Darklords :)

I would like to see the Gazetters re-done in an edition-free setting book, with online addendums for the edition specific crunch. That way people could play Ravenloft with whatever rules they wanted.

Darrius Adler

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
Definately would need a good horror-stricken mechanic and some means of handling Taint QUOTE]

I don't have time to type a long response right now most of the ideas discussed so far are interesting. The one thing I never want to see in Ravenloft is the Taint rules I have seen thus far in Heroes of Horror. Nothing like mutating the PCs cause they decided to be heroic and fight the evil in a sinkhole of evil. I prefer Powers Checks mutating PCs for being evil :)

HeinorNY

First Post
I would make it a little (maybe a lot) more lovecraftian.
Ravenloft should be the scary campaing setting, but vampires, werewolves, ghosts, mummies and sinister gipsies don't scare D&D players.
Unspeakable and unknown terrors from beyond imagination and nightmare, with an alien and unthinkable agenda, do.

The Little Raven

First Post
Darrius Adler said:
I don't have time to type a long response right now most of the ideas discussed so far are interesting. The one thing I never want to see in Ravenloft is the Taint rules I have seen thus far in Heroes of Horror. Nothing like mutating the PCs cause they decided to be heroic and fight the evil in a sinkhole of evil. I prefer Powers Checks mutating PCs for being evil :)

Just change the method of acquisition for Taint. Taint can simply represent the notice of the Dark Powers, and gaining it can substitute for failed Powers Checks.

Also, there's the concept of falling from grace. As Nietzsche once said "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Last edited:

Irda Ranger

First Post
ainatan said:
I would make it a little (maybe a lot) more lovecraftian.
Ravenloft should be the scary campaing setting, but vampires, werewolves, ghosts, mummies and sinister gipsies don't scare D&D players.
Unspeakable and unknown terrors from beyond imagination and nightmare, with an alien and unthinkable agenda, do.
I'm not sure if there's a place for that, or if it's just distracting from the Transylvanian feel that it's going for. Cthulu certainly isn't necessary to scare PC's; if vampires aren't scaring PC's, it's because the DM is doing something wrong. Anything can be scary. I mean, Cujo is about a dog.

Ravenloft is hard to DM because, like Planescape and Dark Sun, it's as much about mood as any rule or setting sourcebook. You have to work at making sure that everything you do supports this mood, and doesn't detract from it. DM's who use vampires or were-wolves as just another monster to fight (and gives the PC's all the magical gear they need to dispatch them easily) shouldn't be surprised if the "Ravenloft mood" never materializes. You have to use pacing and word choice and all those other "writers tools" to keep it working.

The least scary story is the one you know the ending to. The key is suspense. At first you don't even know what your enemy is (people just disappear). Once you figure out it's a vampire, you don't know who or where it is. Once you do that, you still can't know if you'll win (this is important; the fights should be hard, and any PC that falls to a vampire or were-wolf or necromancer, and gets left behind, should be used by the DM to come back and attack the remaining PC's to remind them of the price of failure). And all along you don't know if you solve the puzzle in time to save your allies, your friends or yourself.

I suspect that Ravenloft's greatest diversion from 4E may be the return of near-instant kills. Part of playing in a horror game is the reminder of your own mortality, and that just can't happen when you have 100+ HP and no way of losing them except slow attrition. To do his job a DM needs to be able to kill you with a silent knife in the dark, or a single soul-sucking kiss.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Hum... I will add that one Eberron-made Isle or Terror or DOmain would be cool. Something like the Thief games plus gothic or chthuluesque elements, or a dark, freaky jungle... or an even darker riedra....

BTW, insta-kill is not necessarly horrotr - a slow descend into death can be freaky and frighteing, too...

Irda Ranger

First Post
The Ubbergeek said:
BTW, insta-kill is not necessarly horrotr - a slow descend into death can be freaky and frighteing, too...
Getting your head ripped off isn't supposed to be horror - it's adrenaline-pumping scary!

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
Getting your head ripped off isn't supposed to be horror - it's adrenaline-pumping scary!

yeah, but there is also a certain freaky thing about slowly dying... like lost, confused in a dark mension, with no way obvious to go out....

You are wounded, loosing your blood - and your mind... Pain, fear...

see?

Last edited:

Remove ads