D&D General How wrong were the parents right to marry each other for selfish reasons and not for love? and as it happens they ended up never loving each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMISBEST

Explorer
Out of boredom I decided to create and then generate the background of A Dnd Character and I've ended up with a amusing combination of parents

The father was A Wealthy Merchant that married A Minor Noblewomen that had no lands and held no titles and he married his wife/the characters mother, not for love but rather so that his children would be of noble birth, after all his wife may only be A Minor Noblewomen that had no lands and held no titles but that's still enough for any children the 2 have to be of noble birth

The mother was A Minor Noblewomen that had no lands and held no titles and she married her husband not for love but rather so that she could live a good life as the wife of a rich man that would give her anything she could ever want

So tell me how wrong was it for the 2 to marry each other when they didn't love each other and ended up never loving each other, rather they married each other for different selfish reasons?

Zardnaar

Legend
Depends on the situation. Odd by our standards but back in the day things like this happened.

1. Rich "commobers" marrying broke nobles. Your kids are now nobles, the nobles get money.

2. Marrying up in the colonies. Upper class gent wants a wife there's a shortage of women. Yup coukd upgradevyour social status hia marriage and your prospective partner is willing to overlook things like class, background or misdeeds.

From memory of you did every thing "right" it took about 7 generations to go from the bottom to the top in say England. Exception existed and you could lose the daily wealth in a generation or two.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
That background seems like standard procedure for most of human history. But if we apply a modern perspective on children and childhood, even if the parents don't love each other they still got what they wanted out of the marriage, and could still love their kids. Combined with material wealth and nobility I would say the probability for a very happy childhood is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads