Hugo Awards controversy

Also, looking at the WorldCon website, looks like these are the upcoming bids (yeah, not sure wha'ts up with 2073 - maybe it's a 100 year anniversary? Also looks like Uganda is still bidding, but for 2028
while not as overt as China and Uganda, I can happily point out issues with the other locations.(well Dublin might be harder for me due to lack of knowledge) But then it all becomes shades of gray instead of black and white.

yeah, not sure wha'ts up with 2073 - maybe it's a 100 year anniversary?
No, that's not it. The first con was 1939, with four years missed between 1942 and 1945 inclusive, so 2073 would be the 134th or 130th anniversary depending on whether you count the WW2 gap.

1939. And now I'm thinking about that Norman Spinrad novel Iron Dream, a metafictional post-apocalyptic scifi novel written by an alt-history Adolf Hitler who moved to the US in 1919 and became a pulp illustrator and writer that got an unattributed wargame adaptation by Task Force Games. Second weirdest thing on the mandatory reading list in my freshman year scifi class back in 1984, right after Doris Piserchia's Earthchild.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
while not as overt as China and Uganda, I can happily point out issues with the other locations.(well Dublin might be harder for me due to lack of knowledge) But then it all becomes shades of gray instead of black and white.
Nowhere is going to be perfect - we all have skeletons in our national closets. But I would hope that WorldCon would find a way to avoid going to countries where someone risks life imprisonment for being homosexual. Common sense would suggest local authorities should tread carefully on such an international event, but then there's a dearth of common sense these days.

I have come to terms that many award shows are more about hype building and celebration then honoring the highest quality works.

At least I learned there's a huge Sci-Fi lit Fandom in China??? That's cool I guess?

Nowhere is going to be perfect - we all have skeletons in our national closets. But I would hope that WorldCon would find a way to avoid going to countries where someone risks life imprisonment for being homosexual. Common sense would suggest local authorities should tread carefully on such an international event, but then there's a dearth of common sense these days.
Saudi Arabia should be a big "NOPE," as well.
Hence the shades of gray, as long as "inset issue here" isn't as overt as China, S.A, and others people will be fine with wherever the con goes.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yes, but... I have enjoyed most Hugo award nominees (ironically speaking of Chinese fandom, Three Body Problem was not to my taste)
Wow, the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy (of which Three Body Problem was the first) were among my favorite sci fee novels of all time. Alternate history, speculative future, dollop of hard(ish) science. Loved it.

Remove ads