• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Human Wizard (Level 1, 11, and 21)

ShockMeSane

First Post
Kraydak said:
No sweat! As it happens, I think you were perfect in your 1st level Daily choices. Flaming Sphere is amazing compared to the other options.

Nah, you just need a cheap, non-magical implement to use the specialization abilities. With a 13 starting wis (I'd bump it to 14, 16 if possible, not with the basic array) and Spell Focus you can impose a -7 on saves against one spell for one target at lvl 28. A 16 starting Wis and Demi-god boost that to -10. At that point, standard monsters will need 20s to save, and you should have a few total-incapacitate effects in your spellbook. I wouldn't suggest boosting wis any higher than that, as you don't want to push your DM into "fudging" NPC saves (besides, you can only get 2 more points of penalty, not enough to force failure on elites, and it'll hose your Int).

While it's most impressive at high levels, with a starting 14 and taking Spell Focus at lvl 11 you can force a -5 at lvl 11 and -6 at 14. That isn't any too shabby.

Sadly Demi-god is probably the best mechanical choice almost universally for every class. 28 regen/round, +2 to all stats and never-ending encounter powers are too good to pass up.

neceros

Adventurer
ShockMeSane said:
Sadly Demi-god is probably the best mechanical choice almost universally for every class. 28 regen/round, +2 to all stats and never-ending encounter powers are too good to pass up.
I was surprised at the lack of Epic Destinies. They had more for the 3.5 article.

Sojorn

First Post
ShockMeSane said:
What's Divine Miracle's action type? Minor or free?

neceros

Adventurer
Sojorn said:
So Demigods just stop caring about at-wills? Is that the level 30 power?
30th. Basically, it means you only have one encounter power readied at any given moment after you expend them all, but once you use that encounter power, you pick another one (or the same one) to ready.

Pretty slick.

Simplicity

Explorer
Hmmm... your level 21 has essentially the same at-wills with essentially the same damage as your level 1 character. Something tells me that this is suboptimal. Eventually, combat comes down to at-wills and those will do nothing to your opponents.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Simplicity said:
Hmmm... your level 21 has essentially the same at-wills with essentially the same damage as your level 1 character. Something tells me that this is suboptimal. Eventually, combat comes down to at-wills and those will do nothing to your opponents.
There are only a couple of choices for at will powers, they are all 1st level powers. I'd rarely swap them out unless the personality of my character changed. All the other options do the same damage.

Although, he did forget to apply the damage increase to his at wills at 21st level.

WereMike

First Post
I thought only Daily/Utility spells (not Encounter powers) are added to the wizard's spellbook, right?

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how many spells a wizard gets at the different levels. I am studying the OP to see the progression and it's helping. Is there a chart, table, or thread that tackles this?

ShockMeSane

First Post
WereMike said:
I thought only Daily/Utility spells (not Encounter powers) are added to the wizard's spellbook, right?

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how many spells a wizard gets at the different levels. I am studying the OP to see the progression and it's helping. Is there a chart, table, or thread that tackles this?

Yes, only Daily/Utilities go into your spellbook. Basically every time you gain access to the next tier of Daily/Utility spells, you get to pick 2 instead of 1 and they go into your spellbook. You may choose between those 2 when preparing spells. There is also a feat that allows you to pick 3 (which in some cases is all of them at certain tiers), Expanded Spellbook.

Insofar as to how many you can actually cast in a battle, the base number is set at 2 at-will, 3 encounter, 3 daily, 3 utility for all classes, you achieve this at 10th level. Your paragon path will add 1 encounter, 1 daily, and 1 utility by 20th level, increasing the numbers to 2/4/4/4 respectively. Finally, your Epic Destiny will add another Utility power at 26, bringing the final total of powers for every class to 2/4/4/5.

As you level you begin replacing lower level powers with higher level ones past 10th level. The only real difference for a Wizard is that instead of just picking a Power and saying, "this is it!", you get to pick 2(or 3 with the feat), and choose what Daily/Utility spells you want to prepare for the day after an extended rest.

Wizards still choose their Encounters/At-wills like everyone else. All of this is completely independant of Rituals, which although go into your spellbook as well, exist as a system of their own.

I hope that was what you were looking for.

Last edited:

Remove ads