• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Human Wizard (Level 1, 11, and 21)

keterys

First Post
So, it's clear that a non-wizard 10th character has, say:

Daily: Level 1, 5, and 9
Utility: Level 2, 6, and 10

For a wizard... is it clear whether they can prepare, say:
Daily: 2 Level 9s, 1 Level 5
Utility: 2 Level 10s, 1 Level 6

I know they only get 2 choices and can't repeat, but I'm wondering if they can max out their high level choices or if they clearly get '1 Lvl 1, 1 Lvl 5 (or lower), 1 Lvl 9 (or lower)' same as everyone else.

If they can high-load, that's a huge advantage potentially.

... They get a feat to take 3 per pick instead of 2, too? Wow.

ShockMeSane

First Post
The player's handbook states that "after an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level." I would say that preparing two 9th level spells as per your example would be in blatant defiance of "what you can cast per day for your level." Fortunately for me, I am the DM in my group so that is how it will go. However it is certainly worded vaguely enough that I can see this causing arguments from certain kinds of players.

keterys

First Post
I'm kinda hoping it's more clear than that somewhere (for or against)... if not, that may be an early FAQ worthy question.

I'd definitely prefer if it were 1-5-9.

Drakhar

First Post
For a wizard that has Daily 1-5-9, aren't those just the levels you get another 'slot' to place a Daily in? So at Level 10 You could have multiple high level spells because you can trade-in a lower level spell for one of the higher level you can cast no?

WereMike

First Post
Thanks.
ShockMeSane said:
Insofar as to how many you can actually cast in a battle, the base number is set at 2 at-will, 3 encounter, 3 daily, 3 utility for all classes, you achieve this at 10th level.
A wizard could use Magic Missile 5 turns in a row during an encounter, right? I did not think there's a limit on how many times an At-Will power is used during an encounter.

I am fond of 3.X and eager for 4.0, but I expected some of this information to be more elegantly simple and streamlined. I'm probably having a learning curve issue and will "get it" once I really start playing the game.

zoroaster100

First Post
One thing I'm confused about with the spellbook is that it says you get two Daily or Utility powers each level where those become available. The Dailies are clear to me, but the Utilities sometimes are Daily and sometimes are Encounter. Does that mean a second level wizard can, on a given day, either pick one daily Utility 2nd level spell for the day OR pick an encounter Utility 2nd level spell and then use that one each encounter up to one time?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
zoroaster100 said:
One thing I'm confused about with the spellbook is that it says you get two Daily or Utility powers each level where those become available. The Dailies are clear to me, but the Utilities sometimes are Daily and sometimes are Encounter. Does that mean a second level wizard can, on a given day, either pick one daily Utility 2nd level spell for the day OR pick an encounter Utility 2nd level spell and then use that one each encounter up to one time?
Yep, that's exactly it. You get to select one of your 2 Utility Powers, if it is an Encounter Utility power, then you can use it once per encounter until the next day when you choose again.

keterys

First Post
Which is, frankly, awesome. I'm very happy with that side of implementing the wizard in the new framework.

I just want to know about the 'all high level powers all the time' or 'Still must be 1 of each level slot' question. Might need someone official, or a vampire bat, or something.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
keterys said:
Which is, frankly, awesome. I'm very happy with that side of implementing the wizard in the new framework.

I just want to know about the 'all high level powers all the time' or 'Still must be 1 of each level slot' question. Might need someone official, or a vampire bat, or something.
Good luck. Been trying to figure out the answer to that question for months. Seems everyone interprets it differently.

keterys

First Post
Majoru Oakheart said:
Good luck. Been trying to figure out the answer to that question for months. Seems everyone interprets it differently.

I guess I'll go on record and official dub that 'Poor'.

Major function/balance of a core class in doubt that could have been clarified by addition (or alteration) of one sentence? Poor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads