• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Humanoid Mounts

galaga88

Explorer
It never fails, any time a D&D campaign I'm in includes at least one of the little folks (Halflings, Gnomes) they end up using another PC as a mount.

I know this has to be a stupidly common enough occurence that rules exist somewhere for it. Anybody have any ideas?

the Jester

Legend
galaga88 said:
It never fails, any time a D&D campaign I'm in includes at least one of the little folks (Halflings, Gnomes) they end up using another PC as a mount.

I know this has to be a stupidly common enough occurence that rules exist somewhere for it. Anybody have any ideas?

Oddly enough, I have never seen a rule set for this.

Nor do I see it come up very often, and one of the games I run is a halfling party.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
There was a Dragon magazine, released around the time of Savage Species, that had an article dealing with this very issue. I'm tempted to say it was issue #304, but I don't know for certain.

Demiurge out.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
the Jester said:
Oddly enough, I have never seen a rule set for this.

I had it come up not to long ago... (Only reason why I can quote the above. We decided since the person to be carried weighed about 90 lbs and the creature, which was a size larger, could carry 532 lbs on a light load that it was silly for him not to be able to carry her.)

The big issue is that the Mounted Combat Feat allows one to negate the damage done to the mount.

We house ruled that to do anything special would require balance checks and that the Mounted Combat Feat couldn't be used.

Scharlata

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
[...] Dragon magazine [...] issue #304 [...]

Page 42, Article: Saddle up, Mounted Combat, Rules for Intelligent Characters

Third column:
DRAGON #304 said:
A good rule of thumb might be that all creatures with a humanoid body shape can have half the normal amount of creatures as riders.... Of course, such mounts must still be able to carry the weight. This rule prevents some silly situations such as a human fighter riding piggyback on another human.

Enjoy!

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I present the Goblin Shoulder monkey
Goblin 3rd lvl fighter
Dex 17 (15+2 race)
Feats Skill focus Ride, Mounted combat, Ride by attack, spirited charge.
Skills: Balance 6, Handle animal (human) 5 rnks, Ride (human) +16 (rnks 6, synergy +2, racial +2, SF +3, dx +3) weapons : small lance, small shortsword

When not charging he will use aid another - and kick you in the sides to help you avoid being hit in combat.

There could even be a PrC class based on the halfling outrider

If humans cannot be used the orges, 1/2 gaints and golioths would all make decent mounts.

dagger

Adventurer
What kind of Attack penalty would you give goblins on the back/shoulder of an Ogre firing a short bow while the Ogre was moving or attacking?

I have had this conversation with a couple of people, and here is what we came up with:

Most of the Ride skill rules only cover riding a mount you do control. Mounted Combat's ability to negate hits cannot be used unless you are controlling the mount. Neither can any Ride skill check to increase the mounts movement or Jump results.

When riding a humanoid, unless its INT is 2 or less or is somehow macigally dominated, you can never treat it as under your control. Mounts not under your control act on thier own initiative. Ride checks are required to remain mounted as per the usual rules.

Generally the riding character will be riding without a saddle, which increases the DC of the check. Unless your party is crazy enough to purchase custom made saddles for themselves. A backpack with holes cut in it isn't enough to count as a saddle....

That means the riding character must Ready attacks to strike targets along the ridden characters movement path. Obviously it easier to use ranged attacks :)

The riding character can use the Ride skill option of gaining Cover.

In short, the Rider needs to/can:
Stay Mounted DC 5 {if mount is in melee combat or either of you take damage }
Guide with Knees {if you want 2 hands free} DC 5 {this is actually a 'HANG ON with knees' check ;p }
Cover DC 15 {as a non-action, gain cover behind your mount. You cannot attack or cast spells while gaining cover this way }

Without a proper saddle, the DC of these checks increase by +5
The normal Ride synergies {Handle Animal and Animal Affinity} only appy if the mount is of Animal or Magical Beast type.

Using this tactic generally means they get one attack or spell per round, benefit from cover and are not limited by thier personal movement rates.

I lost the thread, but somewhere recently there were some good rules on riding unwilling creatures, complete with bringing a mount under control. IIRC you essentially had to Pin the mount.... I know I am missing something there tho...

Anyway, thats what I use. I do have a Halfing Outrider in the group and am quite amazed that she hasn't hopped on the Half-Orc's shoulders yet.

Remove ads