• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Humant Variant Feat Limitation: What am I Missing Here?

Johnny Angel

Explorer
I was trying out the demo of Hero Labs with the 5e rules. I tried making a Human Variant. It lets me select attributes to add +1 to and a skill proficiency. But when I try to select feats, the only option is Grappler. It's not an issue of pre-requisites, since under that system I don't have any stats yet, much less the 13+ Str required to take the feat. The fact is that I remember something similar coming up when I went tried the D&D Beyond chargen. I tried it again to confirm. It would only let me select Grappler or Svirfneblin Magic.

My book says "You gain one feat of your choice." Has this been nerfed? Now it's "one feat of your choice, as long as it's Grappler"?

It is the only really revised feat at the time of weiting the srd and so it was used as the example feat... the only freely available one. You need to pay for other ones.

Satyrn

First Post
Aye. It's the only feat listed in the D&D Basic Rules pdf, which means it's tge only feat legally allowed to be used freely in apps, programs and other people's books.

Or something close enough to that.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I was trying out the demo of Hero Labs with the 5e rules. I tried making a Human Variant. It lets me select attributes to add +1 to and a skill proficiency. But when I try to select feats, the only option is Grappler. It's not an issue of pre-requisites, since under that system I don't have any stats yet, much less the 13+ Str required to take the feat. The fact is that I remember something similar coming up when I went tried the D&D Beyond chargen. I tried it again to confirm. It would only let me select Grappler or Svirfneblin Magic.

My book says "You gain one feat of your choice." Has this been nerfed? Now it's "one feat of your choice, as long as it's Grappler"?

As other's have said. If you want content that wasn't released for free you have to pay for it. Grappler was in the SRD and can thus be used freely. Svirfneblin Magic was released in the Elemental Evil Companion so that's free too.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yeah, I'm trying out the demo as well to see if it is something i want to continue to use in the future. I'm limited to the free content but that is all I need for a trial. Some of it i find very convenient but I'm probably going to go back to my PC write ups I do in word instead.

Remove ads