[Humour] The Adventures of the A-Team - Story 3?? Aussie posters help please!

Inez Hull

First Post
In the early 90’s there was a roleplaying magazine in Australia called, imaginatively enough, Australian Realms. Although the magazine is remembered fondly by its regular readers it is the famous comic “The Adventures of the A-Team” which graced the last page of every issue which lives on with the greatest memories. The comic eventually found print in an annual but soon after the magazine finished. Most roleplayers, particularly outside Australia, will have never heard of the A-Team (well this A-Team anyway) which to my mind is a crime against humanity (or gamers anyway) as it is utterly hilarious and captures the mood of us gamers far better than any other comic or parody I’ve ever read or heard.

Before the comic existed it appeared in written form and it was due to the amazing response it received that the author went on to find an illustrator. The owners have given me permission to post the original stories on the net. The rights to the comic book are still held and the collected adventures can still be obtained through Tactics Roleplaying store in Western Australia for $15 Australian (Michael or Nick can be contacted on 61 8 9328 7081 or tacticswa@aol.com) Given that I’m on a GM’ing hiatus at present (and loving playing!) and that any story hours from old games of mine would fall flat compared to some of the great story hours here, I think the best contribution I can make to the boards is to post these truly amusing stories. My thanks to Andrew Daniels and Scott Edgar for their great work and I hope you enjoy these adventures as much as I have.

Last edited:

Inez Hull

First Post
A Maiden Misadventure

I: What’s In A Name?

The swirling mists of chaos stuff danced and whirled, pale lights twinkled and glowed. In the distance, you could just hear the sounds of dice being rolled; the fevered scratch of lead on parchment; squeals of delight mixed with cries of anguish as lives to shape, fleshed out gained character.

There came a sharp rustle and clatter, then the chaos stuff slowly pulled aside to reveal a huge muscular figure glistening in freshly silvered mail. He brushed aside his flowing golden mane, checked the sword that hung at his side, then methodically tightened the numerous straps and buckles that held his armour tight.

Another clatter, another figure slowly formed. This one thin, lithe, furtive, clad in a colourful rune-robe. He paused, looking cautiously about him, then spilled the contents of a leather backpack onto the ground. He quickly picked up a thin tome and earnestly perused its pages.

“Geez, I don’t believe he took that spell. What a load of cr@p.”

Faint shadows drifted in and out of the twilight. On the verge of hearing, distant sounds echoed of other people and stranger places. Pasts long forgotten, futures yet to arrive. The newly formed pair, however, went about their business apparently unconcerned with other, more pressing matters.

“How come they always give us such sh#t names?” cursed the heavily armoured, hulkish figure.

“What? Oh, hi! Didn’t notice you there. Wilson’s the name. Wilson Wormke”. The thin man extended a pallid hand. The hulk ignored it, scowling furiously.

“See! Done the same to you. Wilson! Bloody ridiculous”.

“Oh, I dunno”, Wilson replied, “I quite like it myself. Anyway, looks like I’m your mage”.

The hulk scowled even more furiously, closely examining the freshly honed blade of his longsword.

“Please yourself then”, said Wilson, withdrawing his hand.

Chaos billowed again. A third figure appeared. Round, a lardy ball on wobbling legs dressed in a flowing cassock.

“Let me guess, cleric”, Wilson conjectured.

“Got it in one. Abel Zeek’s the name”.

“See, you got a decent one”, muttered the hulk.

“Don’t worry about him. Yet to meet a fighter with enough sense to make him worth talking to”, said Wilson.

“Yeah”, agreed the cleric.

“Wilson’s the name”. The pair shook hands warmly. “So, who’s the lucky god this time then? Tyr? Ra? Freya?”

“Er, not quite. My god’s name is Shannafria”.

“Bless you. Got a cold, huh?”

“No, you don’t understand. That was no sneeze, it is the name of my god, Shannafria”, Abel Zeek explained glumly.

“Never heard of him”, Wilson said suppressing a snicker.

“Her”, corrected Zeek. “Me neither. A thousand perfectly useful deities to choose from and I get a master who invents one of his own. Not only that, he makes me the only character alive who actually believes in her. What kind of start in life does that give you?”

Wilson nodded sagely, beginning to doubt Zeek’s sanity.

“It gets worse. Look at this!” Zeek waved a little feather around his head. “This is my holy symbol, a stinking dove’s feather!”

“That will certainly inspire fear in the hearts of enemies”, Wilson commiserated.

“Yeah, and another thing...”, Zeek’s tirade halted with a gasp as Wilson’s bony elbow dug into his chubby midriff.

“Geez! Get a load of that”.

Last edited:

Inez Hull

First Post
From out of the swirling mists slid a magnificent example of the feminine form. Tall, perfectly proportioned and wearing an extremely close fitting set of leather buckskins, a young elven maid strode confidently towards the little group. Wilson smiled, Zeek attempted a little bow but gave up midway when his belly refused to crease, and the hulk shook back his golden locks and manfully pushed forward his chest.

“Shana, elven ranger first class”, she announced.

“Yo, babe, nice name...”, began the hulk.

“Firstly”, Shana cut across him, “please don’t make the mistake that I am the light relief for the group. Secondly, touch me and I’ll cut your nuts and bolts off, metal head”. The hulk’s chest deflated like a popped balloon.

“Right”, said Wilson, “that’s sorted out; nobody touches the babe. How many’s that then, four? Wer’e missing a...”,

Shana squealed. From behind her, a form, barely four feet tall, appeared with a face that would make a troll retch.

“...thief”, Wilson finished.

“Spud at your service”, said the hideous thing, “halfling master thief, master merchant and...”, here he balanced a skillet by its handle on the end of one finger, “...master chef”.

“Halfling, my eye!” Shana revolted. “Halflings are cute, lovable little creatures. “ You’re..., well..., plain horrible!”

“Yeah”, agreed Spud, “charisma throw wasn’t what it could have been. Still you’ve gotta get along with what you’ve got”. He leered at Shana who quickly turned away to prevent the vomit in her throat rising further.

The chatter came to an abrupt halt as the air was rent by a resounding crash and flash of lightning. From a hole torn through the stuff of chaos, rimmed in blinding light that silhouetted his tall form, strode a man dressed in filigreed plate mail. Tousled red plumes sprang from his closed helm, and a mighty shield embossed with bold heraldic signs swung on his arm as he bounced into the midst of the party.

“Oh no”, Wilson groaned.

“I am Virgil!” the hero’s voice boomed in his helm. “Knight Paladin! Defender of the Realm! Protector of the Weak! Scourge of Evil! Saviour of the...”.

“Al’right, al’right”, Wilson buted in, “we get the picture. Just cut out the self adulation while I’m around will you?”

“Sure”, beamed the Paladin, “just trying to make a point. Well, who are my worthy companions in our upcoming adventure?” He slapped Abel Zeek’s back, almost causing the cleric to choke on the bagel he had been nibbling.

“What? Oh, well I’m Wilson the mage, this is our cleric, Abel Zeek, Shana is the ranger, Spud, the thing, and err..., we never did catch your name”. He turned to the blushing hulk. “Come on, spit it out. Can’t spend the rest of our lives calling you ‘the fighter’ now, can we?”

“Mnmnng”, the fighter mumbled.

“What?”

“Manngggn the Magnificent”.

“Pardon, still didn’t quite catch it”, Wilson pursued.

“I said”, his voice embarrassingly loud, “MANGO THE MAGNIFICENT!”

The group fell as one to it’s knees, creased in communal laughter, Zeek’s flabby face exploding munched bagel. Mango fiddled with the pommel of his sword and cursed the player who had named him.

Inez Hull

First Post
II: Spot The Plot Device

The Inn buzzed. In fact it positively vibrated with the life of the newly formed. Not unexpectedly, the archetypal fat innkeeper entertained his guests with his as yet limitless supply of bonhomie type barman tales. Typically luscious bar-wenches with cleavages out of Boys Own Fantasy scampered about with foaming pots of ale between tables full of happy, smiling customers. A typically merry time was being had by all.

At the stereotypical corner table, our party of adventurers sat merrily quaffing fine ales and other assorted alcoholic beverages paid for with the coinage of the inevitably fat cleric’s, typically fat purse. The paladin excepted, of course; Virgil sat moodily supping a large orangeade mumbling something about..., “One’s body is a temple, you know”.

“Look”, Wilson slurred, “I can’t stand it any more, I’ve got to ask; what the heck is that thing sticking out of your backpack?”

Abel Zeek puffed his cheeks haughtily, “It is a ten foot pole. What does it look like?”

The party, except for Virgil the paladin, “Laughter is the hiding place of fools”, fell about laughing hysterically.

“What’s it for?” asked Shana the ranger, wiping tears from her eyes, “baton twirling!”

“Well there must be a use for it, or else He wouldn’t have chosen it for me to carry would he!”

“Don’t you have trouble getting through doorways with it?” asked Spud the thief merrily, “I mean you can just barely squeeze through as it is, mate”.

“No, I do not”, returned Zeek coldly, “and I’ll thank you not to...”, Zeek was cut short by the appearance of an old but extremely well dressed man. Pretty much your archetypal rich merchant type plot device.

“Look out, lads”, said Mango the Magnificent, “we’re on”.

“Gentleman...”, the old man began.

“And lady”, interjected Virgil.

“Erm, yes quite. As I was saying, gentlemen and lady, I...”,

“Here, old man, take the weight off”, interrupted Mango.

“Er, thank you”, said the man, sitting, “My name is...”,

“Here, buy the old geezer a drink”, said Spud.

“Thank you, but I would prefer...”,

“What!” said Zeek, “looks like he’s got all the money. Let him buy”. The others nodded in agreement.

“Yes, I’ll gladly buy you all a drink if you would just let me fin...”,

“How rude”, Virgil protested, “he’s our guest, we should...”,

The old man rose to his feet. “Will you people SHUT UP!”

Silence fell on the group except for Virgil who mumbled under his breath, “Just trying to make a point”.

“Now, as I have been trying to say for the last ten minutes, I came here to ask you to undertake an errand of mercy for me”.

“We knew that”, said Mango.

“Right up our alley”, said Virgil.

“Touchy old bugger”, said Spud.

“Your buy!”, said Wilson, hopefully.

The merchant sighed resignedly and ordered a round. Drinks in hand, the party fell silent again. “As I have been trying to say, my name is Ergmund...”,

“Lucky b@stard”, Mango grumbled.

“... and two days ago my daughter, Rowena, was captured by a roving band of orcs who have taken her to their lair to have their wicked ways with her, or worse still, to attempt to extort large amounts of cash off me”.

“Yeah, heard that one before. Two more pints of ale here, ta love”, Wilson said with typical lack of interest.

“And I would like you mighty adventurers to return her safely...”,

“Yeah, love to, but we’re a bit busy right now, see”, explained Wilson.

“Seem to have missed an important piece of the business here”, butted in Shana, “the question of price...”,

Virgil rose to make a speech, puffing out his chest. “Come now, my worthy fellows, and lady, we cannot reduce this man’s sad plight to such tawdry levels as pecuniary interest”.

“Too bloody right we can. How much?” Spud chipped in.

“I can offer you 100 geepees each”, replied Ergmund, his face turning red as the group burst out laughing. “Times are hard, business is not what it use to be, you are my last hope...”,

“Really?” Shana giggled, “that wouldn’t even pay my lingerie laundry expenses for such a task, let alone recompense the dangers faced”.

“100 gold pieces for facing a band of raving orcs? Bugger off!” said Spud.

“Another pint of ale here”, Mango added to the discussion.

“I’m sorry, old son”, Wilson patted the merchant on the back, “but the general consensus appears to be a big NO”.

The air chilled. Sounds of merriment reduced and then inn faded slowly into darkness until only the party remained, bathed in an intense circle of light. The atmosphere took on a distinctly icy edge.

“Oops!” Zeek buried his face in his tankard as the others looked around in consternation. A frail, painfully thin, bespectacled gent appeared above the centre of the table. Around his neck a thick chain of multicoloured polygons clinked together with a sound like the rapped knucklebones of the about-to-be-dead. Cold, myopic eyes froze the group.

The voice of one who knows exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, and how to deal with the silly prancing buggers, spoke out. A voice of ice, honed to razor sharpness by years of splitting hairs; hairs still attached to heads, mostly. “It would appear there is some reluctance to follow the plot in this group”.

“Erm, not really”, attempted Wilson.

SILENCE!

Wilson bit his lip and wondered about his next half dozen saving throws.

You all know who I am?"

“Well no, not really”, answered Virgil. Shana elbowed him in the ribs with an audible clank.

“He’s new”, Mango explained.

I am the Keeper of the Manuals!"

Thunder crashed. Lightning flickered, flashing off the rims of the Keeper’s spectacles, and other hackneyed effects played in the background. “I am the Lawgiver and you will obey my commands to the letter".

“But I can’t read”, Mango complained.

“Whose round is it?” yawned Wilson.

The Keeper sighed heavily. “For your benefit, puny and insignificant ones, I will again explain the first and most important Unwritten Rule of Adventuring. When I introduce a plot device leading to an adventure what do you do?"

“We take it!” chorused the group.

Good, that’s much better". The figure faded as the sights and sounds of the inn coalesced back into view.

Mango turned to the befuddled merchant. “Ere, that deal of yours, Ergmund, start tomorrow early enough?”

Last edited:

Malachai_rose

First Post
OMG... heh, the player bought the poor guy a 10 foot pole, lol. That and the bit with the 'Keeper of the Manuals' was great, heh, take the plot hook or else, lol.

Inez Hull

First Post
III: The Leadership Crisis

Our little band of adventurers stand suspended at the edge of a small wooded vale. They watch disinterestedly as a scrub covered hill forms hazily in the middle distance, as the Master of the Polygons drones on...

“...its crown surmounted by a squat tower surrounded by a wooden palisade. Both ivy-clad tower and wall are in urgent need of repair...,”

“This it then?” Spud, the gruesome halfling thief asked.

“Must be, he only ever describes the dangerous bits”, Mango replied, making last minute adjustments to his gear.

“Yep, pretty obvious. Walled palisade. Ruined tower. Dungeon-riddled hill. Looks like all your standard ingredients”, said Wilson rooting through spell components.

”...a babbling brook hurries across the lower reaches of the scree...,”

“Why do we dally? The young maiden, Rowena, is in grave danger”, Virgil, the paladin chaffed.

“She is now we’re here!” Spud grinned.

”...a brace of marsh hen take flight from the weedy scrub covering the lower slope.”

“She’ll be al’right, pretty boy”, said Shana, stringing her bow. “The scene with the girl, the cleaver and the cooking pot won’t start rolling until we’re there to see it happen.”

“Yeah, one of the Unwritten Laws of Adventuring, the demon never turns up until we walk through the door”, muttered Wilson, bemusedly examining a wriggling carp.

“Dappled sunlight plays across the backs of the horses as they nuzzle each other nervously...,”

“Any big monsters, yet?” asked Spud.

“Nope”, said Wilson, tossing the carp to a grateful Zeek.

“Did anyone remember to bring the bread rolls?” asked Zeek.

“...the long green grass before you..., um..., sways gently in the breeze..., ah, bugger it...,” The omnipresent droning stopped. There was a brief sound like a sigh from the heavens.

“Right, thank Shannafria that’s over with”, said Wilson cheerily. “First things first. What we’ll do is...”,

“Hold on a minute”, interrupted Mango. “Who died and left you archlich?”

“Well, I just thought...”,

“Well don’t, I do all the thinking around here. As leader of this party, I....”,

“Leader! Elected by whom?” asked Wilson.

Shana looked at Spud, then wishing she hadn’t, gulped back the bile. Zeek buried his head in a saddle bag. “Knew I’d put this somewhere”, he said, triumphantly holding aloft a thoroughly squished sticky bun. “Tea anyone?”

“Adventurer’s Code, bucko!” continued Mango ignoring the interruption. “Highest ranking warrior always calls the shots.” He tousled his long yellow locks. “Always has done.”

“Adventurer’s what?” scoffed Wilson. “Just ‘cos you’re best at thuggery.”

“How about Shana for leader. I’d rather follow her anytime”, said Spud leering.

“Right then!” said Mango miffed. “Break with ten years of tradition, see if I care! I’m off to Brasso me gorget.”

“Now look what you’ve done, Wilson. You know Mango’s so sensitive”, said Shana patting her horse.

“Blondes!” Wilson threw up his hands. “I’ll tell him we had a vote and he won.”

A few hours later a beautifully picturesque sunset hid coquettishly behind the distant tower but the moment was completely wasted on the A-Team, all they noticed was one moment it was day, the next, night.

“Time to go”, Mango growled above his sparkling gorget. Along the stockade palisade, a pair of orc guards swung in a slow lumbering gait. Spud turned to the A-Team smiling.

“Five minute turn around. Plenty of time. Up the wall there, knife the fat one, along the walkway, knife the thin one. Rope down the wall, haul up the clanky thumpy folk and on to victory. Easy.”

Wilson asked, “And if they don’t die with one knife stab?”

Spud pulled a thin blade from a lined pocket in his boot. A sticky yellow substance dripped slowly from the wickedly pointed tip. Spud chuckled, “They always die from one stab!”

Wilson nodded approvingly, but Virgil shuddered with revulsion. “Surely, ugly Spudling, even one as lowly as you would not stoop to battle with such a tainted weapon?”

“Battle? No. Murder, yes!”

“This is not the honourable way to conduct a rescue. We should call out their leader and offer them terms”, said Virgil.

“Terms! Talk to orcs. That’s a new one”, said Mango. “When was the last time we did that?”

“Scrofula’ s Deep, back in ‘79”, said Wilson, ‘Remember?”

“Oh, yeah. That time we got a whole sentence out before getting bored and fireballing the lot of ‘em.”

“I remember. The orcs looked like scorched marshmallows afterwards. I wonder if there’s a kitchen in this one?” Zeek’s more than ample tummy rumbled.

“Er, just the one other thing before we go”, said Shana, the ranger. “What are we going to do about the horses?”

“Same as always”, Wilson replied, “hobble them and leave ‘em here.”

“Will they be safe?” Shana asked.

“Who gives a rat’s @rse”, Mango spat. “Never in all my adventuring days have I known a group return for the horses. Always come out of the dungeon leagues from your starting point. Must be hundreds of starving tethered horses scattered across the multiverse waiting for adventurers who’ve buggered off!” Shana looked horrified.

“Damn the horses!” Spud lovingly turned over the gooey-bladed knife in his hand. “This stuff cost more than all of them put together. It won’t stay fresh forever.”

“I still cannot condone the use of illicit substances”, Virgil announced. “I will not allow it.”

“Horses have feelings you know”, Shana simpered.

The skewed gears in Wilson’s devious mind could almost be heard grinding and clacking into place as he formulated the perfect solution. “Shana has a point, the horse’s left alone might get eaten by something...”, he said cagily.

“What a waste,” said Abel Zeek.

“...someone clever and brave should lead them to a safe corral somewhere in the woods back there. Any volunteers?” Wilson asked without so much as a glance at the paladin.

Right on cue Virgil raised his hand. “I shall be proud to take on this perilous task.”

“Great”, said Wilson, as he watched the paladin lead the horses away. The mage turned to Spud, “Off you go then, he’ll be back soon enough.”

Spud silently scampered off. His backpack tied down, the little thief looked like a hunchbacked spider as he scaled the wooden wall with ease. The others watched as first one, then the other orc disappeared behind the parapet.

“Nice”, admitted Wilson begrudgingly.

Upon Virgil’s return the party moved to the wall which proved to be easily climbed with the aid of Spud’s rope. Once over the wall and into the courtyard, however, they were surprised by a beast whose poor description was its downfall.

“What ho! Die you fiend from Hell!“ shouted Virgil as he spitted the stockade’s resident porker. The pig grunted then lay still. Death is swift for a one-stab creature.

“You steaming great twit!” Wilson spat.

The others looked down at Virgil’s kill. Zeek paused to cut a haunch off the ‘fiend from hell’. “For later”, he explained.

The bold band made a beeline for the heavy door at the foot of the tower. Spud put a cauliflower ear against the door.

“Nothing”, he whispered then retracted a silver wire from the edging of his collar and began twiddling it in the lock.

“Erm”, coughed Mango. “Did you try the handle first?”

There was a distinct click of the mechanism turning. Spud looked sheepish as he tested the door and found he’d locked it.

“Has he c0cked up again?” Wilson asked smugly.

“Yeah, but at least his hand didn’t get blown off this time”, Mango replied, leaning on his sword.

A minute later Spud was able to reverse the lock and swung the door wide to the drone of more description...,

“...saliva dribbles like green syrup from the corner of the huge drooling beast’s mouth. The creature sways rhythmically from foot to foot, a huge rust-edged axe swinging easily between gauntleted fists. Piggy bloodshot eyes squint without emotion at the crowd of adventurers ogling through the wide open door. A slow grin breaks across its face as it lurches forward...,”

Startled, Spud sprang away with surprising agility for one so deformed. As he debunked he called over his shoulder, “Er..., Mango, its for you!”

GreyShadow

Explorer
Woohoo!

Ah, the fond memories!

I love these guys. Hmm, I wonder where I put my issues of Australian Realms. Back room I think....

Mango, my hero. :)

Remove ads