[Humour] The Adventures of the A-Team - Story 3?? Aussie posters help please!

Inez Hull

First Post
IV: How Clean Is My Paladin?

The drooling ogre stared down at the silvered warrior which had appeared at its door. It paused, hoisted the cruel-bladed axe onto one hugely powerful shoulder and prepared for the inevitable onslaught of small and squashy adventurers all fighting to see who should be first in line to die.

“Er, excuse me...”, Virgil, Holy Knight Paladin, wielder of the Sword of Righteousness, wearer of the Golden Badge of Goodliness, five times winner of the ‘Bravest Most Friendly, Truthful and Honest Paladin in Shannafriadom’ award, puffed up his mighty chest and stormed politely to the front of the party, Mango performed a similar move, but in reverse.

“If I may be so bold... ”, Virgil continued, “...as the group as a collective have decided against the normal protocol of organising a conference of war, you know, some sort of round table discussion from which could have been formalised a clearly defined pro-active agreement as to the rules of engagement and the...”,

The ogre shuffled impatiently; brutish, yellow eyes narrowing, confused. Nothing was happening. Just a wall of tinny noise echoing out of the canned adventurer’s head-piece. The ogre wondered idly if this was some kind of new spell.

“...and as our duly elected leader appears to have momentarily found himself somewhere near the rear of the party...”, Virgil looked around wondering where Mango had gotten to, “...it has fallen upon me, as the warrior with the next most impressive armour, to open up the preliminary negotiations pending the dispatch of your good self.”

The ogre rubbed its sloped forehead even more confused. He much preferred it when they didn’t talk. Still, maybe he was wrong about this group; they seemed friendly enough.

“Negotiations? Negotiate your sword up his jaxie, you shiny idiot!” Spud exploded, indignation bursting from every greasy pore. “This is supposed to be a terror filled adventure, not some bloody silly board game!”

“Is this some new plan no one informed me about?” asked Wilson, resident mage.

“You charge in, butcher the b@stard, pause to loot the corpse, then push on to the next treasure filled bit!” said Spud.

“And eat the food, Spud”, said Zeek, the pudgy priest, “you forgot about the food.”

The paladin looked crestfallen. ‘Well I really think...,”

“Obviously!” retorted Wilson. “Will you just get on with it! Do what we normally do in these situations. Don’t waste time thinking, just kill it!”

“Fair enough then”, Virgil slammed down his visor with a renewed sense of purpose and stepped through the doorway.

The ogre scratched the back of its lumpy head. He’d never been faced with so many words before. Normally they simply kicked the door in, screamed a bit, then started hitting him. Then he’d hit back, kill ‘em, eat the tasty bits and sit down with a bone to suck on, waiting for the next batch of adventurers to turn up. This lot, however, were different, sort of friendly. All right, he’d play along with their silly game.

The ogre gave what he surmised was a welcoming smile, only his ferocious teeth and tusks got in the way. Virgil did what any self-respecting paladin would do in the face of such blatant aggression. He hit the ogre in the face with his sword.

Hearing the sound of distant combat, Mango re-appeared and tried desperately to peep over Spud’s shoulder into the room. “Kill what? Is there something in there?”

“Dunno really”, said Shana. “Ogre I think.”

“Oh?” said a relieved Mango, drawing himself up to his full height. “In that case, I’d better go in and deal with it. For a moment there I thought it might be a demon or something.”

Mango charged forward toward the open doorway, but was promptly sent sprawling to the ground as he bounced off the chubby body of Abel Zeek who had stepped into his way.

“What the...?”

Zeek looked up from where he’d been scrupulously examining the doorjamb.

“Thought there might be a secret door lever”, he explained jauntily, then returned to his close scrutiny of the door frame.

“A secret what?” Mango asked. “The bloody door is wide open? What do we need another entrance for?”

“You can never be too careful about these things”, Zeek smiled politely. “I’ll just move down here and check this bit then, shall I?”

Mango groaned and stayed down a while longer. He didn’t know which was bigger, Zeek’s stupidity or the cleric’s belly.

Meanwhile, inside the tower, the ogre howled in pain as Virgil’s bright blade split his smile even wider. Ogre blood sprayed across the paladin, then ran away to the ground in great droplets like water off a duck’s back. Virgil struck again, but this time the ogre managed to dodge the blow whilst slamming his broad-bladed axe heavily against the paladin’s breastplate. Virgil staggered back, breathing heavy.

“Think we should help him?” asked Shana.

“He didn’t ask”, observed Wilson, picking some lint from his rune-chased robe. “Anyway, seems to be coping all right.”

The ogre swung again, a mighty whooshing swing of the axe, and again found his mark with a thunderous impact that would have cleaved a one-stab opponent in twain. But it merely made Virgil stagger backwards, toppling a table and overturning a bucket of slops. A faint bruising appeared on the paladin’s forehead and the foul smelling refuse dribbled off his armour in neat rivulets. Virgil stabbed back expertly; more ogre blood sprayed over and off the paladin.

“How’s he do that?” asked Spud.

“What?” inquired Wilson.

Virgil and the ogre grappled across the room. Their weapons locked together, they smashed to the floor.

“Make all the blood run off him like that?” continued Spud.

The ogre flung Virgil across the room and up against a wall. A shelf shattered and its contents fell over the paladin. He paused, a slight dribble of blood oozing from his mouth, breathing heavy, but otherwise unharmed by the repeated onslaught of the ogre. Not being a one-stab creature makes a difference! Even so, this was getting beyond a joke. Virgil chanced a glance through the doorway, but no immediate help seemed to be forthcoming, only a thick wad of pig droppings picked up in the courtyard and thrown at him by Wilson. It hit the paladin square in the chest and slid to the ground.

“See! Did you see that? It never even left a mark on him!”

The ogre roared like a mad bull, charging the weary paladin with axe raised high. Virgil fell to his knees and pulled his sword up to fend off the attack, plunging the bright blade up to his elbows into the ogre’s exposed abdomen. The ogre stopped dead in its tracks, its confused smile frozen forever.

“Its like I told you”, Wilson explained. “Sh#t never sticks to a paladin.”

Mango strode into the room, his armour buckled and sword drawn. “Right then, lads, lets get this fight over with!”

Zeek peeped around the coiner. “Any secret doors in there?”

Shana stood in the doorway, a look of disgust playing across her face. “This pad needs a woman’s touch.”

“Yeah, me too”, leered Spud, his grotesque head appearing between her legs.

“Any treasure?” asked Wilson.

Virgil slid to the ground exhausted. “Medic!”

Malachai_rose

First Post
heh, poor Ogre ;) he thought they were gonna be all friendly and talk to him ... heh, gotta love that. Reminds me of Sunless Citadel when my group spotted lil ol' Meepo cowering in the corner under a blanket. Like any good group of adventurers we promptly killed him :D Made the rest of the module kinda hard though, lol. Great story thanks for reposting this stuff it's all classic :)

Inez Hull

First Post
V: Once Trapped, Thrice Furious

The A-Team had entered the orc's den via the tower, and having cleared a few rooms of their minor inconveniences, building their score of adventure points and gathering some incidental treasure along the way, now they were deep underground. This was the life, thump-and-run adventuring at its very best. But where were the orcs? It all seemed far too quiet for everyone’s liking. The group nervously surveyed the next room. You never could be too sure, it looked safe enough, your average looking library, but...

“What’ d orcs want with a library?” queried Shana.

“Dungeon filler”, announced Wilson with authority.

“Yeah, looks al’ right - plush. Safe”, Spud sauntered into the room, parking himself in a comfy chair. They all followed, Shana preening herself in the mirror above the fireplace.

“I’ll check for secret doors, then.” Zeek offered. He began diligently searching the bookcases that lined the walls, plucking heavy volumes, twisting ornaments and generally re-arranging everything in a desperate attempt to prove how useful he really could be, at a pinch.

“Wonder what knowledge these books contain?” Wilson thumbed through the musty books.

“Er, fellows, there is a maiden in distress awaiting our rescue”, Virgil reminded them, chaffing to get on with it.

“Maybe there’s a secret door behind this cabinet...”, mumbled Zeek to himself.

“There is a perfectly good door here”, suggested Virgil, pointing to the obvious exit in the far wall of the room.

“Aha, found it!” Zeek spun around, beaming proudly at his discovery of a secret passage revealed behind a trophy cabinet that swung away from the wall.

Spud leapt from his chair and peaked within. “A secret passage!” he announced.

The rest of the party crowded around the halfling, patting him on the back. “You’ve done it again, Spud”, Mango praised the thief.

“I found it!” Zeek chided.

“Don’t know what we’d do without you, Spud”, said Wilson, “is it trapped?”

Zeek’ s fat chin wobbled, his lips quivered, tears gathered in his hurt eyes. “I’ll check for another one, then, shall I?”

“Shush, blobbo, Spud’s looking for traps!” hissed Shana.

Zeek, disconsolate, wandered off to the other side of the library as the others waited with hushed voices for Spud to finish his expert search of the opened doorway.

“Safe as houses!” Spud announced, his ugly mug grinning up at the others as he stepped backwards into the passage and then promptly disappeared through the floor. A short scream ended with a loud splash.

“Good call”, said Wilson dryly. Wilson, Virgil, Shana and Mango peered over into the pit.

“Folding floor, deep hole, your standard pit trap”, Mango announced with the voice of experience.

From below came a heartfelt wail of agony. “Acid, I’ve dropped into a vat of bloody acid!”

“Nasty variation, that”, Mango observed.

“It’ll sting a bit”, said Wilson.

“Might improve his looks, though”, snigered Shana.

“Should we not throw him a rope?” suggested Virgil.

“Bugger it! I’ll climb out meself”, Spud’s voice came up from below. The burning thief began to climb the pit wall.

On the opposite side of the room, Zeek was dancing a little excited jig. He had found something again; a lever beside the fireplace. He turned to call to his comrades, but then remembering how they’d been so rude to him, Zeek thought better of it and decided to pull the lever all by himself. “This time, I’ll take the glory”, he mumbled.

Spud was nearly to the lip of the pit, his pain-wracked body dripping acid that hissed and sizzled as it burned through clothes, armour and flesh.

“Nearly there!” Virgil encouraged the little half-man.

Suddenly there was a loud twang, the sound of old springs that had long laid dormant protesting as they came to life. The floor section of the pit trap closed, knocking Spud back down into the hole screaming.

“Sh#t”, said Wilson, “the trap is resetting!” The muffled sound of Spud splashing into the vat of acid again, was followed by the halfling’ s forlorn screams.

Across the room, Zeek puzzled over the depressed lever. “Strange”, he cogitated, “doesn’t seem to do anything.”

Back at the secret passage, Mango scratched his head. “Wonder what made the trap re-arm?”

As one the group turned to look at Zeek. The cleric stood across the room with a lever in his hand. As one, the group all cried out “Noooo!” as Zeek pushed the lever back up again.

In the pit Spud had almost climbed back to the top as the floor to the passage, his roof, swung open yet again, thumping him on the head and sending him crashing backwards... “Aaaargh!”

“Bloody hellfire, Zeek”, raged Mango, “are you doing this on purpose?”

Zeek shrugged his plump shoulders with a sheepish halfsmile. “I am only trying to help!”

A very badly burnt Spud emerged from the pit looking bloody murder at Abel Zeek, poisoned dagger in hand.

Last edited:

Inez Hull

First Post
VI: A Demon in Name Only?

After the library, the Merry Band entered the secret passage into a labyrinth. Dangers had been met and faced, puzzles found and ignored and now the group grow ever more edgy. Six whole episodes and still no rescue...or treasure! Finally, they saw their chance. They had passed through a series of short dark tunnels at the end of which stood a pair of gilt bound doors.

“Quest’s end!” thought Virgil.

“Finally some bloody goodies”, thought his fellows.

The group eagerly passed through the doors which mysteriously opened as they approached, and edged into the room. Suddenly all hell broke loose. In the centre of the cavernous room, a demonic figure, with a flaring trunk and enormous flappy ears drew itself up. Smoke wreathed around it’s huge and fearsome form.

“Bloody Hell! A demon!” Mango went white. “Erm... I think I’ve just been hit with a fear spell. Sorry guys, I’m off.” Mango ducked back out into the corridor and scarpered.

Wilson peered up at the beast with open curiosity. “It can’t be a demon, we’re not high enough level!” he declared.

“Course it is”, answered Virgil. “It has all the classical demonic aspects - claws, fangs, smoke, beady red eyes.”

“But look at its nose”, said Wilson. The band stared at the foul looking beast. “Looks bloody ridiculous.”

Suddenly the thing with the long trunk-like nose spoke, its voice booming like a thing that booms really impressively.

“I AM CARAXUS.” Steaming ichor dripped from slavering jaws. “I AM THE ...”,

“There”, said Spud conclusively, “Virgil’s right. Its got a demon name. There’s an ‘X’ in it.”

“GUARDIAN OF THE DOOR...,”

“Its not a demon, I tell you, its got a bloody trunk!” Once he’d made his stand, Wilson was not to be moved.

“NONE MAY PASS WITHOUT....”,

“Well then, smart-@rse. What is it?” Shana smiled scornfully at Wilson.

“...THE KEY OF... ”,

“Well, it is obvious. One of them Tolkeiny things”, Wilson thumbed through his ‘What Beast Is That?’. “There, page 154. It is an Oliphant!”

“...A WHAT?” said the demon looking a little perplexed. It was used to being taken much more seriously than this.

“LISTEN TO ME CLOSELY. BEWARE LITTLE THINGS, I AM...”,

“Dangerous?” asked Shana, looking over Wilson’ s shoulder.

Caraxus began to feel a little left out. “DANGEROUS? DANGEROUS? I AM CARAXUS! I WILL SLAY...”,

“Sure pal!” Wilson turned to Shana. “Here look”, he shoved the book in the ranger’s face. “Completely harmless.”

“...STAND IN AWE WORMS! I AM THE MIGHTY CARAXUS AND NONE SHALL PASS ME!” Caraxus was becoming mightily confused, its grip on reality slipping.

“Bye”, said Spud, swathed in bandages, strolling past the demon, blissfully unconcerned. The others also began to file by, squeezing to get past Caraxus’ s great bulk.

“...NO! STOP! OR I WILL...“,

“There, there nice nelliphant.” Zeek offered the confused demon a handful of peanuts.

“. ..HOW DARE YOU! TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT OF...”,

But it was no good trying to intimidate the A-Team, they were simply too stupid to scare easily, especially when faced with a be-trunked demon; it appealed to their sense of the ridiculous.

“Bye!” said Wilson brightly, snapping his book closed.

“Nice wasn’t he?” said Zeek.

“Yeah, chatty for a change”, agreed Shana.

“The girl must be close”, mused Virgil.

“That reminds me”, said Spud, “Where is Mango?”

Caraxus sat down, deflated. With groups like that, perhaps it was time to retire from the demon business.

Inez Hull

First Post
VII: Its A Dirty Job...

The A-Team had faced danger many times before. Blood-curdling terrors that would chill the most redoubtable of adventurers to their very marrow had been mere side issues to this merry band that knew absolutely nothing of the word fear. But now they faced their greatest test, Mango the Magnificent, mightiest warrior of a mighty clan had gone missing, presumed dead. The band, leaderless and alone, faced their darkest hour.

“Well, should we go back and look for him?” Shana sighed.

“Who?’ asked Wilson abstractedly.

“You know, old whatsizface. Mango the Fruiterer.”

“Why?”

“Weeelll, he is our nominated leader.”

“Just pick another one then and we’ll be off”, said Wilson.

Spud nodded thoughtfully, “I guess it is one sixth more treasure to be divvied up.”

“How can you be so callous?” blurted Virgil. “He was more than our leader, he was a friend, a companion, a...”,

“Cream bun, anyone?” Zeek butted in helpfully.

“Zeek, stand watch!” snapped Shana. “Virgil’s right for once. We can’t simply desert him after all he’s done for us.”

The group brooded in silence.

“Err, as a thought though,” Shana broke the silence, “just who were you suggesting would be leader? Solely as a matter of interest of course.” She straightened her shoulders and smiled pleasingly at everyone.

“Obvious!” answered Virgil. “Me of course!”

“What?” sneered Shana, “You! You? Why?”

Virgil looked puzzled. “I’d have thought it more than a little obvious. I’m the fighter with the next shiniest set of plate mail!”.

“Sexist bollocks!” Shana exploded.

“Precisely!” agreed Wilson. “What sort of a system’s that? How about for a change we go with something a little less obvious, like highest intelligence for example?”

Zeek wiped the remains of an extra large cream bun from his face and put on his best spiritual look. “Morally I feel we’re missing the point a bit”, he said, being more than a little put out by the guffaws that greeted this comment.

“Sure pal”, Wilson smiled smugly, “good point, now how about contributing something more useful to this discussion, like go on watch?” Zeek wandered off, cowed.

“And another thing”, snapped Shana returning to the fray, “a female leader is long overdue...”

Meanwhile, in another part of the dungeon...

Mango sauntered nonchalantly along the dank corridors muttering quietly to himself about the indignity of being deserted by his group after boldly securing both flanks and the party’s rear from any possibility of counterattack. Suddenly he stopped, throwing himself against the dungeon wall. Ahead of him, a small
dark figure, head bent down, walked slowly towards him, long arms swinging rhythmically in front.

“Damn it!” Mango cursed. “Trapped!. Demons behind, mysterious undescribed beasts ahead, and me totally alone!”

Slowly, unbidden, a thought crept into his head. Mango closed his visor, shut his eyes and pretended he wasn’ t there.

That didn’ t seem to work; the menacing figure drew closer. “Damn”, thought Mango, “Oh well, nothing else for it, lesser of two terrible tortured deaths. Chin up!”

Mango leapt into the centre of the corridor belching his mighty war cry and swung his sword blade into the face of the oncoming unidentified Beast of Terror. The janitor collapsed as Mango’s sword crashed through his front row of teeth.

“Ugh!” he said attempting to collapse to the floor.

“Whoops!” Mango attempted to be a little more friendly by preventing his victim’s fall with a gauntleted grab to the throat. “Thought you were the enemy.”

“Nenemy, bruddy nenemy! Do I look like the bruddy nenemy?” said the janitor through broken teeth and blood.

Mango shrugged. “It is a little dark”, he said apologetically. The little man shook himself to his feet. “Where’s me bruddy broom gone?” he fumed. Mango cheerily retrieved it for him.

“Who are you anyway?” Mango asked.

“Just bruddy towld yer didn’t I? The bruddy janitor! Doug and Dave’s Dungeon Cleaning Services. ‘No job too dirty!’ that’s our motto.”

“Well what are you doing here in the middle of an action packed adventure of murderous proportions?’

“Well who the bruddy hell do you think cleans up after you buggers have been through smashing and breaking and dirtying? Anyway, Team Wolf was only just through here two days ago, and quite successfully too, I might add.”

Mango looked unimpressed.

“There’ s not supposed to be anyone in here for another week or so”, Doug continued, “so just what the bruddy hell are you doing here?”

Mango opened his visor and scratched his chin, confused.

Meanwhile back to the Team...

“...all right for Vermiculite’s sake, we have democratically decided that our new leader is Virgil because it is God’s wish, and otherwise he’ll sulk and we won’t have any fighters at all !“ said Wilson. “Agreed?”

The group nodded.

“Right then, let’s get on with this adventure.”

Virgil was just in the process of saying that at this momentous juncture a short prayer was probably called for when the doors burst open, issuing forth a rabid screaming horde of blood-thirsty orcs.

“Bloody hell!” yelped Wilson. “Where did they come from?”

“Who’s supposed to be on watch?” squealed Spud. The team turned accusingly towards Zeek. Zeek smiled sheepishly. “Er, cream bun, anyone?”

And on the other side of the labyrinth...

“...and so there you have it, our story in a nutshell. We have come to retrieve the girl!” finished Mango whilst helping the janitor to pick up his missing teeth.

“Giwl?”

“Yes the girl. Whatsername. You know, so and so’s daughter...”,

Doug looked even more puzzled.

“...him in the village.”

“Oh, her, I’d forgotten about her. Well off the right track aren’t you!”

“What?” asked Mango.

“Turned left at the bottom of stairs 15b didn’t you”, the janitor said rather too smugly.

“Well yes, possibly”, Mango answered dubiously.

“Should have gone right, through secret door 181 and up the tower.”

“Look, what are you gibbering about?”

“Only this little lad”, Doug tittered, “you’ ve gone the wrong way. Taken the wrong turn you might say. This is Darking’s Deep Dungeon of Demonic Death!”

“No, No, NO!” Mango had a nasty creeping feeling crawling up his back. “We’re Tokey’ s Tower of Terrible Tribulations! Levels four to six.”

“Ha Ha Ha”, the janitor was fair dribbling now. “Ho Ho Ho, ‘levels four to six’, Ho Ho Ho!”

“Someone’s buggered up badly”, Mango looked despairingly towards the ceiling. No sign of deliverance came.

“Anyway, the one your looking for, I think she’s a sacrifice, so that’ll be down in the Pentangle Room. She’ll, be a little busy now. Sacrifice began ten minutes ago”.

Mango strapped on his massive shield, tightened his armour buckles and put on his huge pair of Mighty Mitts of Mauling. “Ere you wouldn’t happen to have seen the rest of the party would you?”

Doug pointed down a long corridor.

“Right then,” growled Mango impressively, “time to finish this! And all alone too!”

Inez Hull

First Post
VIII: A Geometry Lesson

The bottles of pop were drained. The last of the nibblies scoffed. A wry smirk settled on the murderous visage of the Lord of the Polygons. The A-team trapped! Surrounded! And worse still, their heroic leader missing. A doomed look descended on the Merry Band. It seemed that the end was nigh...
...besides which, it was nearly pack up time.

“Looks bad”, Wilson surveyed the sea of pig-snouted faces.

“Sure does”, agreed Zeek licking his lips. “That’s the last of the creams. Down to plain bickies now.”

Wilson turned to Virgil. “Well, duly elected leader, what’s your plan?”

Virgil had a rather painful look upon his face as he thought hard. “Umm, now what would Mango do in this situation?”.

“What he already has”, said Spud, “bolt for the nearest door!”

“Not a bad plan that”, Virgil scanned the room for obvious signs of exit. “Too many orcs in the way. Only one thing left to do then. We’ll have to kill them all.”

“What?” spluttered Wilson, “there’ s millions of them! How we gonna kill all of ‘em.”

Virgil smiled grimly, drawing his blade with a flourish. “Methodically, but without malice, for that is our way!”

Whilst elsewhere...

“Damn it then!” Mango lumbered off down the hallway. “If that’s the way they feel, I’ll just bugger off by myself.” The first junction loomed.

“RIGHT!” he announced, deliberately flouting A-Team convention which maintained the next encounter was always around the next left hand turn.

“RIGHT!” he announced again at the next intersection, ignoring the plaintive cries of a girl in obvious need of rescue down the left hand corridor.

“RIGHT!” he announced at the next crossroads, denying the existence of a large neon sign pointing left that read ‘A-Team Sacrifice & Rescue this way’.

Suddenly, a chill damp descended over Mango. He scowled. “Drat!! Some gods have no sense of humour...”, was all he could get out before a blinding light enveloped him and a gargantuan thumb and forefinger snatched him up.

But with the rest of the A-Team...

As Virgil and Shana went about their work, the heap of orcish dead and wounded was increasing logarithmically.

“Yo!” burbled Virgil happily as another orc head bounced across the floor. “Brill! Low-life, two hits per round! Don’t you just love first-level greeblies.”

Shana’s blade flickered, first one, then a second orc fell cleanly sliced. “Yup, all seems a bit too easy really...,” with a nervous glance upwards.

Ineffectual blows rained upon them as the orcs frantically tried to come to terms with the fact that their attacks simply bounced off the pair. “Joys of low armour class”, Virgil beamed, then promptly dispatched a round dozen foes.

“Healing anyone?” Zeek strolled up waving his feather. “Blessings, resurrections, bible stories with happy endings?”

“You must be joking”, retorted Virgil indignantly. “They’ve hardly enough levels amongst them to scratch my armour class let alone injure me!”

“Just trying to help”, Zeek snorted and wandered off to the rear where the non-fighter element was enjoying a bite to eat.

The roar of battle began to diminish. The ores were falling back through the door in disarray. “Flip!” cursed Virgil, then turned bright red at his lack of self control. “Over so soon?”

“Something nasty’s coming”, observed Shana. “It always goes quiet when we’re winning. Give’s Him time to think”, Shana glanced up again.

Virgil put his boot to the door, and it slumped open. Beyond, a new larger breed of orc was forming up into a neat shield wall formation with pikes spiking out in front of it.

“Gee”, said Virgil, “That’s a bit clever. I’ve a plan, though. I’ll commence a frontal assault whilst the missile troops provide covering fire.”

“The who?” asked Spud, doing a double take.

“You and Shana. With bows.”

Spud nodded understanding. Shana and Spud readied their bows as Virgil marched merrily toward the pikes.

“What’s going on up front?” asked Wilson getting a bit bored at the rear of the adventure. He sauntered up to have a look at what was going on at the pointy end of the adventure.

Zeek shrugged. “Dunno. Virgil wants us to provide some fire, I think.”

“Fire?” Wilson perked up. “Really? I wouldn’t have thought it appropriate in this confined space. Are you sure, Zeek?”

“I’ll check. Wouldn’t want to make any mistakes now would we?” Zeek bustled forward.

‘What do you want us to do?” he asked the embattled paladin.

“Fire!” yelled Virgil. “Fire over their heads.”

Zeek returned to the rear and announced to Wilson, “The chief says fire when ready, right over their heads.”

“He’s the boss”, Wilson shrugged and began to rhythmically weave his hands together, muttering to himself. Before long the acrid odour of ozone filled the room as a pale blue light formed around his hands. Wilson giggled in manic glee as the pale light coalesced into a crackling ball and rose majestically into the centre of the chamber. The room silenced as all eyes, adventurers and ores alike, were involuntarily drawn to the menacing beauty hovering in the air.

“Is that what I think it is?” asked Virgil pausing in mid-decapitation.

“Couldn’t be.” Shana’s voice seemed to rise a little. “No one in their right mind would release one of those in here.”

All turned automatically to look at Wilson who waved and grinned sheepishly from behind the half-closed door.

“What volume do those things fill again?” Shana’ s voice was now taking on a slightly hysterical tone.

“About 30 000 cubic feet,” said Spud shuddering.

“33 actually”, called Wilson helpfully.

“And the area in this room is?” Shana now showing signs of extreme stress.

Zeek began to mutter some complex equations. “Length times breadth..., the square on the hypotenuse..., about 20,000 cubic feet”, the cleric announced.

“Thought so”, Virgil said. “Bit of a problem then, eh?”

Elsewhere, but getting closer...

“All right, all right!” Mango said irritably. “I’m, going!”

“...you know I like you to stay together. You know I won’t run two groups at once...,”

“There!” Mango called loudly. “I’m here! Right where I’m supposed to be.” He went to pull open the door then paused.

“Been in too many dungeons to fall for that old one”, he said smugly. He placed his ear to the door. Silence.

“Odd”, he mused. “I thought He said the Team are on the other side of this door.”

Mango tested the door. Unlocked. Fumbling a finger into the lock he looked for traps. Finding none he opened the door.

Mango did not have time to wonder why the entire population of the room were stood with their necks craning to the ceiling. BOOM! The room erupted before his startled eyes into a cauldron of scorching flame. There followed the softly echoing rattle of the Polygons of Fate.

Last edited:

Remove ads