First Post
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Wow, the group must have been really weakened to get beaten by a mimic. We knew it was there because the first mimic told us. We brandished Kazmogen's head, which we had removed in a giant battle just before, and the mimic gave up and fled without a fight.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hussar said:
:'( Our DM neglected to mention any gong or anything else as we sacked the room and thus we lost out on any treasure.
Maybe you didn't actually find the treasure room? It isn't the room where Kaz is located. It is full of tons of cash.

Hussar

Legend
Ah. Sigh. I think we missed an awful lot of that module. The joys of playing with amateur thespians instead of dedicated dungeon crawlers. :)

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Wow, the group must have been really weakened to get beaten by a mimic. We knew it was there because the first mimic told us. We brandished Kazmogen's head, which we had removed in a giant battle just before, and the mimic gave up and fled without a fight.

Oh yes, only 8 - 15 hp apiece left. I kept dropping subtle hints to get back to the surface, but I guess my player's sense motive isn't as good as their character's skill ;)

Shawn

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hussar said:
Ah. Sigh. I think we missed an awful lot of that module. The joys of playing with amateur thespians instead of dedicated dungeon crawlers.

Hey, we missed stuff due to our roleplaying tendencies too--we actually made a deal with the :SPOILER:
dark ones to cure the Vanishing
instead of killing them and thus lost out on their treasure. I daresay we're not great dungeon crawlers either, and we didn't explore the whole complex, but I would actually consider that it's not just bad dungeon-crawling but kind of weird roleplaying to not realise that :SPOILER:
somebody running a lucrative slaving business has to have plenty of cash--plus that key on his body has to go to something

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
My group decided to take the "but not for long" part of the prophesy literally, and went out of their way to get through the dungeon as fast as possible. Portable ram + knight = lots of smashed doors with traps exploding aplenty!

The way I see it, the adventure path can go two ways based on how the group handles the first module. If they go room by room taking out everything in their path, go directly to chapter three, since they should have the levels + gear to take it on.

If they skip most of the dungeon, run part two, which will should get them leveled and geared up properly.

The bard in my game (bless him) agreed not to take anything which could be identified as being stolen or owned by any of the townspeople, which has led the rest of the group to declare that he is no longer allowed to negotiate any of the group's deals.

So it looks like I will be doing chapter two...

--Steve

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Well, it sounds like they will be taking at least one or two days to recover. Not much hope for the bodies ... besides which, the cleric has decided that they probably don't want to be raised anyhow ;) Still gunning for the mimic though.

I figure that once the mimic realises that its boss is dead, it will try to relocate to ambush them elsewhere - possibly replacing Kazmojen's throne to hit them from behind.

Shawn

Mechnomancer

First Post
Don't feel bad for the pcs, this campaign is a real meat grinder. Just finished the Test of the smoking eye. I got 6 pcs and about 24 deaths including one tpk amongst them. If i did it over, i'd use the gestalt rules.

Now the question: how long will it take for the mimic to eat the two bodies lying about? I have emailed the players of the two survivors to ask how many days they intend to spend in preparation. The cleric has item creation feats and they just got paid for rescuing the orphans, so I could see it taking a few days before they return. I just wonder if there will be bodies left to rescue...

I'd figure the mimic to finish the 2 and find a quiet hole to go sleepy-bye. If the pcs track it down i'd let them glean some intel out of it as it is in a more helpful mood. Plus it would be a great help to the pcs for the final encounter in the malchite fortress.

Remove ads