Hungry, Hungry Mimics! [SHACKLED CITY]

Pinotage

Explorer
Our DM had the mimic guarding the treasure talk to us in Undercommon. It then proceeded to play a game with the three chests in the room, and we had to choose once which it could keep. We chose it, but it turned out to be trapped with some sort of spiritual weapon. The mimic opened the chest, activated the trap and got cut to shreds. That was fun. We negotiated with the first one, though.

Pinotage

WizarDru

Adventurer
Shawn_Kehoe said:
Hi all,

In our Shackled City campaign, two of the player characters were killed by the mimic in the malachite fortress before the party could escape. Their comrades have returned to the surface and now plan to rest, re-equip and recruit before making a return trip to finish it off.

I'd agree the first one would be consumed within the hour. Assuming they are both actually dead, and not just below 0 and unconscious, of course. If they'd been simply knocked into negative, I'd have put them in the slave cells, stabiliized but still very, very weak. Otherwise, it depends, but I'd suggest that, given one's a gnome, that they'd both be eaten in relatively short order.

Playing the mimic was one of my favorite parts of this module. Since the party had negotiated previously, they walked in and, well....see for yourself (from our Story Hour):

[SPOILER WARNING!!!!!]
As the group freed the captives, Bellsin made a keen observation. “If these guys were slavers, where are the profits?

While the captives waited in a safe room, the group quickly explored the Malachite Fortress. Any remaining creature with half a brain had fled to the Underdark, so there was little danger left. Kasmojen’s quarters were easily discovered, and among the skulls and skins and other macabre items, a secret door was found leading to a large room filled with the spoils of slaving – chests full of coin, jewel encrusted horns, armor, an ornate gong, and more.

Bellsin held out his arm preventing anyone from entering.

Which one of you is the mimic?

Remind me to do two nice things for Bellsin. I had completely forgotten. Judging from the Oh’s and Ah’s, I wasn’t the only one.

The gong manifested a toothy mouth. “Well hello thayah. You gots the smell of mah cousin on yas.

Yes we had the pleasure. We were able to work out an arrangement with him,” Bellsin said.

He’s a bit strange that one. Eats terrible, disgusting things, yah know.

To each his own I suppose,” Bellsin answered. “Perhaps we can work out an arrangement with you?

Ohhh no no no. I don’t be eatin’ no surface food. Deee-sgusting. But now, would I be correct in thinking that since you’z a-standin’ here, you must have a nice tasty dead half-troll somewhere?” The mimic’s tongue was out and slavering at the thought of Kasmojen’s body.

Why yes, yes we do,” Bellsin smiled. And a deal was made.

Remove ads