• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hunter of the Dead Questions

Caliber

Explorer
Jeremy said:
27, effective level. So, the smack will destroy anything of 27th level or less.

Unless I've missed something, you only destroy Undead whose HD are 1/2 your level. You Turn those whose HD ae equal to your own.

Otherwise, impressive smack.

Jeremy

Explorer
Yup. You missed the Sun domain. Greater Turning. All undead turned are destroyed. :)

Or rather that rather important detail is left out of the only version of the smack I could find. <blush>

Additionally, Radiant Servants of Pelor get additional Greater Turning attempts per day. For more undead roasting power. :D

Last edited:

Doom3524

First Post
Ok, this seems to be a long dead thread, but I am new to the site, and I am attempting to make a character that is basically an Undead Hunter, using the new Hunter of the Dead in the Complete Warrior book. I am starting at Level 4 and figured 1 level of Cleric and 3 of Fighter would be a good start, getting the Turn/Rebuke and all the feats early is always nice. Any suggestions on this would be great. I dont know if this site is meant for this type of question, but I figured its worth a shot.

FireLance

Legend
What resources do you have available? In particular, do you have Libris Mortis (LM)? There are a number of nice feats for undead hunters in there. I tend to agree with the previous posters that the only thing going for the Hunter of the Dead is its True Death ability.

Consider taking a ranger with favored enemy (undead) instead. Or maybe a ranger x/fighter 4 with Necropotent (LM, +4 damage to undead with selected weapon), Improved Favored Enemy (Complete Warrior, +3 bonus to damage against favored enemies), and Unquenchable Flame of Life (LM, gain favored enemy bonus against undead to saving throws against the extraordinary or supernatural abilities of undead creatures).

A ranger 15/fighter 4 could have a +17 bonus to damage rolls against undead creatures before taking in account Strength and weapon enhancement bonuses (+8 favored enemy, +3 Improved Favored Enemy, +2 Weapon Specialization, +4 Necropotent) and a +8 to saving throws against the extraordinary or supernatural abilities of undead creatures (Unquenchable Flame of Life).

Add a level of cleric, and you can take feats like Sacred Vengeance (LM and Complete Warrior, spend one turn undead attempt as a free action to add +2d6 to all melee damage rolls against undead, works great with Two-Weapon Fighting) and Spurn Death's Touch (LM, spend one turn undead attempt to heal ability damage or remove paralysis or a negative level caused by an undead creature).

Doom3524

First Post
Wow Firelance, thanks for all that help!!! I do have Libris Mortis, as well as most of the other books. This is what I had so far....

Starting level is 4

Cleric 1
Fighter 3

Feats:
Enduring Life
Endurance
Lasting Life
Spurn Deaths Touch
Power Attack
Cleave

I went with the PA/Cl for when I fight the masses of zombies that my DM seems to like to throw against us. I have a Goliath Greathammer for a weapon (Bludgeoning to the max!!)

I am going to have to think about the Ranger thing. I might fo Cleric 1/Ranger 1/Fighter 2

How does that sound?

FireLance

Legend
Silly me, I'd forgotten about multiclassing penalties :\. Assuming you're playing a human, only your highest level class doesn't count when determining whether you take multiclassing penalties. So, a ranger x/fighter 4/cleric 1 is not a good idea. To avoid multiclassing penalties, one option is to go ranger x/fighter 2/cleric 1, but that means you miss out on Weapon Specialization and Necropotent. Another is to do a ranger x/fighter 4/paladin 4, but this still needs to be sequenced properly.

With respect to feat selection, you won't need to spend a feat slot on Endurance if you take at least 3 levels of ranger, and Lasting Life seems slightly redundant if you already have Spurn Death's Touch.

Also, if you're fighting zombies, you might want to pick a slashing weapon instead of the Goliath Greathammer - zombies have DR 5/slashing.

I would probably go with the following class and feat progression:

1. Ranger 1; Favored enemy (undead) +2; Human Bonus Feat: Power Attack; 1st level feat: Unquenchable Flame of Life
2. Ranger 1/Fighter 1; Fighter Bonus Feat: Cleave
3. Ranger 1/Fighter 2; Fighter Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus; 3rd level feat: Enduring Life
4. Ranger 1/Fighter 3
5. Ranger 2/Fighter 3; Combat Style: Two-Weapon Fighting
6. Ranger 2/Fighter 3/Paladin 1; Smite Evil 1/day; 6th level feat: Devoted Tracker (Complete Adventurer)*
7. Ranger 2/Fighter 3/Paladin 2; Divine Grace; Lay on Hands
8. Ranger 2/Fighter 3/Paladin 3; Aura of Courage; Divine Health
9. Ranger 2/Fighter 3/Paladin 4; Turn Undead; 9th level feat: Spurn Death's Touch
10. Ranger 2/Fighter 3/Paladin 5; Smite Evil 2/day; Summon Mount
11. Ranger 3/Fighter 3/Paladin 5; Endurance
12. Ranger 3/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Fighter Bonus Feat: Weapon Specialization; 12th level feat: Necropotent
13. Ranger 4/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Animal Companion
14. Ranger 5/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Favored Enemy (undead) +4
15. Ranger 6/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Combat Style: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting; 15th level feat: Improved Favored Enemy
16. Ranger 7/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Woodland Stride
17. Ranger 8/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Swift Tracker
18. Ranger 9/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Evasion; 18th level feat: Sacred Vengeance
19. Ranger 10/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Favored Enemy (undead) +6
20. Ranger 11/Fighter 4/Paladin 5; Combat Style: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

* Devoted Tracker allows stacking of special mount and animal companion benefits, and paladin and ranger levels stack for the purpose of smite evil and wild empathy.

Remove ads