• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Playtest Rules

Holy Smokes

First Post
Can we talk about something else, like, the new hybrid class playtest rules, or somethin. :p

I looked for the thread on this, and found zip, so apologies if there's a topic for this already. Otherwise, feel free to take a break from going on about lawsuits and pdf sales most of us won't care about or remember a year from now. I'll go first.

Looks like a really good start to me! Discuss!

EDIT: Nevermind! I finally found the thread.., on PAGE FOUR! /boggle

LOL

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
(reposted from RPGnet)

I'm really dubious about this.

I guess the reason they're doing this is to address a known drawback of the 4E paradigm: less flexibility when it comes to chargen. Going back to the quasi-building-blocks approach of 3E does address this, but brings with it all the drawbacks of THAT paradigm.

At least it looks like they know this, which is why it isn't RPGA-legal (yet), won't appear in the DDI, and there's sidebar after sidebar of disclaimers and warnings. I'm not convinced that they'll iron out all the problems by the time PHB3 goes to print; they didn't succeed in 2000 or 2003, and there's no reason to suppose it'll be different now. Therefore, if they do go ahead with this, let's hope the disclaimers and warnings stay in the book. It won't stop the CharOp mavens, but it might go some way to keeping newbies out of the traps.

Edit: Should add however, Lizard has posted some cogent arguments why the newbie trap thing might not be as bad as all that. Basically, it should be a lot more transparent than previous editions' multiclassing, so it's easy to tell whether you've accidentally gimped yourself.

Last edited:

Remove ads