• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrids and Armor

Camelot

Adventurer
Just a question that I can't find a ruling on:

I want to make a hybrid Cleric/Ranger who uses melee weapons. The hybrid Cleric gets the full Healer's Lore feature, so can I trade that out for Battle Cleric's Lore (Dragon Magazine 400)? Normally, such a character would only have proficiency in cloth, leather, and hide armor, but this feature grants access to scale armor (since the cleric normally has chainmail). Can I have proficiency in scale without chainmail?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

S

Sunseeker

Sure, you can have proficiency in any armor type without having proficiency in a lesser armor type. Generally speaking profeciency is given in A, B and C just in case your dex/int is so high that the highest grade you can wear isn't the best fit. But there's no real necessity for having light and medium to have heavy.

pemerton

Legend
I thought I had seen something suggesting that you can't get the scale proficiency benefit from a hybrid build that otherwise wouldn't give decent armour.

Lord Ernie

First Post
Just a question that I can't find a ruling on:

I want to make a hybrid Cleric/Ranger who uses melee weapons. The hybrid Cleric gets the full Healer's Lore feature, so can I trade that out for Battle Cleric's Lore (Dragon Magazine 400)? Normally, such a character would only have proficiency in cloth, leather, and hide armor, but this feature grants access to scale armor (since the cleric normally has chainmail). Can I have proficiency in scale without chainmail?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!
Yes, that is legal. There's a reason Hybrid Clerics are among some of the most powerful hybrids in the game, and that reason is Battle Cleric's Lore.

Gryph

First Post
Yes, that is legal. There's a reason Hybrid Clerics are among some of the most powerful hybrids in the game, and that reason is Battle Cleric's Lore.

Actually, I think [MENTION=63962]Blackbrrd[/MENTION] is right on this. Hybrid characters only get armor that both classes are proficient in. With Ranger as a second class I believe the character would have hide as the best armor proficiency without spending an additional feat.

S

Sunseeker

Actually, I think @Blackbrrd is right on this. Hybrid characters only get armor that both classes are proficient in. With Ranger as a second class I believe the character would have hide as the best armor proficiency without spending an additional feat.

He could take the "Hybrid Talent" feat for more profeciencies.

But the class feature does work as he thinks. I just popped open the character builder and choosing the "Battle Cleric's Lore" feature does indeed give you access to Scale, even though a Cleric/Ranger would normally only get up to Hide.

Gryph

First Post
He could take the "Hybrid Talent" feat for more profeciencies.

But the class feature does work as he thinks. I just popped open the character builder and choosing the "Battle Cleric's Lore" feature does indeed give you access to Scale, even though a Cleric/Ranger would normally only get up to Hide.

What else does the cleric get with Battle Cleric's Lore, I forget and get to the compendium from here?

S

Sunseeker

What else does the cleric get with Battle Cleric's Lore, I forget and get to the compendium from here?

+2AC and a +2 bonus to hit to whomever the cleric grants a use of a healing surge.

Last edited:

Remove ads