• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I am addicted to D20 products... Help...

buzz

Adventurer
I've tried the following of late:
  • Have I made any effort to read this book in the last 6-12 months?
  • Are the odds good that I will actually use this book?
  • Is this book part of a system I actually might play/run some day?

If the answers to two or more of these are "no", then I seriously consider selling/donating the product, regardless of quality. Monsternomicon, Occult Lore, Ars Magica, and Gatecrasher all recently got axed by failing these tests.

I've also simply tried to focus more on products in lines I really like, or by favorite authors, rather than buying (or wanting to buy) every new kewlio product I see on the horizon.

On the flip side, I'd take SSquirrel's advice --the subject of which was also recently featured in an editorial in Dungeon-- and simply run more mini-campaigns and one-shots. Not every game needs to be the subject of a multi-year campaign; honestly, I often get really bored of extended campaigns.

You say you might have a short attention span. Well, then don't run any campaigns that last more than 2-3 sessions. Sure, it can be a lot of effort to, say, get to know Midnight well enough to run it and then drop it after two games, but so be it. Prepping is half the fun. :) Not to mention, by cycling through all these different RPGs/settings, your group might find one or two that really capture their attention (or ones you realize just don't float your boat, which you can then sell), and then can happily embark on an extended campaign using it.

Of course, if you have the money, the space, and the freedom, freaking buy as many RPGs as you want! :D

Siridar

First Post
I too have this problem.

Midnight, Mutants & Masterminds, d20 Modern, the Core books, Conan, Iron Kingdoms, Call of Cthulhu, Mekton, Heavy Gear, Scarred Lands, Forgotten Realms, and a slew of other stuff. Stuff I wouldn't use. Stuff I >gasp< decided to sell. I kept/keeping about half my collection. The stuff I really like, even if I wouldn't use it.

I've decided to rotate games and I play less often so that makes it harder, but I slowly stopped buying stuff just because.

Then WotC released their minis. They aren't the best produced product and the collectibility can be irritating (a discussion for another thread that I won't start), but it's my new crack.

Just when I thought I was getting ok. D'oh.

shadow

First Post
I admit that I have a problem buying rpg books. I just see a book that looks cool and have to buy it. I've seriously spent way to much money on rpg books! So, I decided to cut back a little and give up buying rpg books (or even entering my FLGS for that matter) for Lent.

Remove ads