I am angry

Eternalknight

First Post
Harmon said:
Could be as simple as walking up to the new boss and saying <extend hand> "I my name is <insert name>, we have yet to officially meet. Its my understanding that you are my new boss?" Once handshakes are exchanged and such. "I have been here a little while and have a method to doing things that I am pretty set in, could we talk about how I need to change to accomidate you? Or would you be willing to observe my method and allow me to continue using it as it works well for me."

Just my two copper pieces. Good luck. :)

I would probably handle it this way too.

Is there a reason your company would go to the lengths it has to hire this person? Is there anything special about him/her that they would do this? Might be a good thing to try and find out.

sniffles

First Post
Harmon said:
Could be as simple as walking up to the new boss and saying <extend hand> "I my name is <insert name>, we have yet to officially meet. Its my understanding that you are my new boss?" Once handshakes are exchanged and such. "I have been here a little while and have a method to doing things that I am pretty set in, could we talk about how I need to change to accomidate you? Or would you be willing to observe my method and allow me to continue using it as it works well for me."

Just my two copper pieces. Good luck. :)
This sounds like really good advice to me. Your new boss may just be one of those people who don't realize how they sound in email. It's not work-appropriate to use emoticons, so many people who are just terse in their correspondence come across as abrupt or rude.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
JimAde said:
Seriously I don't think you can even form a fair opinion, much less decide to kill someone and take their stuff, until you've at least met.

Au contraire, mon fraire. I see adventuring parties do it all the time. ;)

MonsterMash

First Post
JimAde said:
Seriously I don't think you can even form a fair opinion, much less decide to kill someone and take their stuff, until you've at least met. Starting a new job is a big, confusing hassle and it's entirely possible that your new boss is a decent person who is just immensely frazzled. Ask for a 1 on 1 meeting (typical for a new manager coming on anyway) and take the temperature.

Only if the boss proves that he/she is an obnoxious git may you bring a maul to your next meeting. :)
Surely you need to know who to kill before you can do it and take their stuff.

On a real world note: HR and try and meet one to one with the new boss to sort out working arrangements.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Oy, I know I play too much Dnd when I see HR and automatically think House Rules. I couldn't even think of what HR meant in this context for several full minutes.

I don't really have anything to add on the subject cause it seems like there's already been some good suggestions, sorry.

JimAde said:
Seriously I don't think you can even form a fair opinion, much less decide to kill someone and take their stuff, until you've at least met. ... Only if the boss proves that he/she is an obnoxious git may you bring a maul to your next meeting. :)
Really? Who said "fair opinions" were necessary? I'm kinda fan of snap judgements followed by sudden violence, myself. :cool:

Remove ads