I am so angry

jdavis

First Post
We played for a while where if you were sitting down you were in character, if you wanted to say something out of character then you had to stand up, it worked real good as nobody wants to have to stand up to deliver a joke or off topic story. The problem came when we decided that we hated it that way, we like to talk and joke around. We play D&D so we can get together not the otner way around, we are there to have fun as a group gaming is just what we do.

At a dime a off topic comment today's game would of easily cost me over $50 and would of required a trip to the ATM machine for most of the group, we had a lot of fun though and that's all that counts isn't it. Your story sounded like they didn't like the money involved not the rule itself. If they said don't use money use exp. then the problem is in the money not the rule, try a different rule that has the same effect and see if that works. I'm serious at a dime a comment I would easily be out $25 to $50 a week, my group could generate a car payment in off topic fines. I wouldn't play in a game that had a monitary fine attached to it.

Jeph

Explorer
Usually, Corlon and I's (grammar?) group doesn't do anything about table talk . . . about half the time it goes great, and about half the time the session dissolves. We then play Worms for an hour or two, and go back to gaming after the nice OT break.

When I run a game, I usually have about 15 minutes for getting here time, oh damn where're my dice time, oh dame where's my character sheet time, oh damn where's the battle mat time, etc. Then I run the first scene, and as soon as it's over, we break for lunch for about half an hour. We then go back to the game, and there's seldome too much table talk. Idunno, maybe it's the pizza. We eat Pappa John's.

Wolf72

Explorer
*wolf sings chorus for Buttercup* ...

good grief! ... now try that scenario as the DM, you have limited time and want to game.

only 2 out of 6 players regularly show ... and when the whole group is there, they want to: talk, drink, walk around, etc ...

that ended ...

so go to play their own game ... taking 8-10+ hours on a saturday, usually playing past 11p. No thanks, I'm not that young anymore. By all accounts it worked for them.

right then, done ranting ...

maddman75

First Post
I've used Piratecat's Pig to great effect. The thing is you have to customize it to your group. Pick the things, the same lame jokes/topics that come up over and over again. For our group, we decided that this was appropriate

- $.5 for a pun
- $.10 for a dirty joke or inappropriate sexual comment
- $.25 for a movie reference. Especially MOnty Python or Braveheart

We also except imitations of Mr. Slave from South Park says "Oh jesus-christ" because it is always, always funny.

Make clear that this isn't you charging them. Use the money to order pizza. The doofuses I game with had enough to buy pizza for 8 players after 6 hours :).

Also, as long as the game is moving I'll let it slide. Its only when everyone goes stupid that we really enforce it.

Remove ads