• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I call upon lethal imaginations for a build..

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
The current campaign started with the party's Wizard being informed of a friends & fellow Wizards Keep being alledgedly sacked. Both he and this wizard are members of the Arcane Order. The Order wants to hire the Party to go "fix' the problem, save the Wizard and his students and secure the Wizards staff which would be very dangerous in the wrong hands...

This info came via 1 of the students that escaped and was found in the woods by a ranger hunting some 20 miles away. It took the student several days to get this info to the Order. He can only tell you what he heard as he fled to the woods as he was instantly blinded at the first sign of trouble (victim of seething eye bite).

so far the party has been teleported. They arrived in what used to be Aluve Village, only stone statues of people, burnt buildings and bloodstains remain. The Wizard lord's Keep is a couple of miles away overlooking the Valley from hillside. The party was soon attacked by a band of 12 10th level Barbarian Orks that served a Very Old Adult Green Dragon (limited Sorcerer).

So far the party beleives the school has been sacked by the Dragon and the 10 Barbarian Orc's, which the party dispatched after a pretty good battle. The above was all done on the first night of game play. This week we will continue although the party does'nt think there to much left to combat.

OK SO HERES WHERE CAN USE SOME...INSPIRATION, SOME SICK TWISTED VILE BAD GUY NOW ARMED WITH THIS ALL POWERFULL STAFF waiting for the party in the castle.

the party is 5 members all 13th level consisting of a 11th Cleric +Saint template, 13th Wizard, 13th Monk, 13th Ranger & a 9th fighter+stonechild template (the party meathead!).

1) ideas/suggestions on what the staff should be?
2) what creature(s) turned dozens of town folk to stone?
3) who is the big bad leader bad guy now dicovering the secrets of the staff.

My campiagn thought so far was to have that 6 armed female demon?devil? Be the melee tough guy = to a 12th level fighter but with 6 arms...should be pretty tough..maybe with a madusa head? Is that even possible?

And the leader will be a high level...?...?...Evil guy I just cant think of anything interesting? Maybe a Pale Master/necromancer that has all the students as some undead? Not vamps we just did a vampire campaign a couple of weeks ago...

Thorncrest

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
I posted in the wrong forum again. Can one of the monitors move this to the correct forum or can someone tell me how...

Thorncrest (the online novice)

Sir ThornCrest said:
The current campaign started with the party's Wizard being informed of a friends & fellow Wizards Keep being alledgedly sacked. Both he and this wizard are members of the Arcane Order. The Order wants to hire the Party to go "fix' the problem, save the Wizard and his students and secure the Wizards staff which would be very dangerous in the wrong hands...

This info came via 1 of the students that escaped and was found in the woods by a ranger hunting some 20 miles away. It took the student several days to get this info to the Order. He can only tell you what he heard as he fled to the woods as he was instantly blinded at the first sign of trouble (victim of seething eye bite).

so far the party has been teleported. They arrived in what used to be Aluve Village, only stone statues of people, burnt buildings and bloodstains remain. The Wizard lord's Keep is a couple of miles away overlooking the Valley from hillside. The party was soon attacked by a band of 12 10th level Barbarian Orks that served a Very Old Adult Green Dragon (limited Sorcerer).

So far the party beleives the school has been sacked by the Dragon and the 10 Barbarian Orc's, which the party dispatched after a pretty good battle. The above was all done on the first night of game play. This week we will continue although the party does'nt think there to much left to combat.

OK SO HERES WHERE CAN USE SOME...INSPIRATION, SOME SICK TWISTED VILE BAD GUY NOW ARMED WITH THIS ALL POWERFULL STAFF waiting for the party in the castle.

the party is 5 members all 13th level consisting of a 11th Cleric +Saint template, 13th Wizard, 13th Monk, 13th Ranger & a 9th fighter+stonechild template (the party meathead!).

My campiagn thought so far was to have that 6 armed female demon?devil? Be the melee tough guy = to a 12th level fighter but with 6 arms...should be pretty tough..maybe with a madusa head? Is that even possible?

And the leader will be a high level...?...?...Evil guy I just cant think of anything interesting? Maybe a Pale Master/necromancer that has all the students as some undead? Not vamps we just did a vampire campaign a couple of weeks ago...

Thorncrest

Rhun

First Post
Sir ThornCrest said:

1) Why not design a one of a kind type staff that has some powers that would be particularly effective against your players?

2) How about an Advanced Beholder of some kind, that enjoys using its Flesh to Stone eye?

3) Demons and Devils always make good bad guys. The beauty of the third edition rules is that you can make almost anything you want. A demon sorcerer? A cloud giant wizard? What kind of flavor are you looking for in a villain?

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
my players are pretty set on themselves "cocky" I would like to challenge them, thats why I wanted the 6 armed demon, do they still exist in 3e? I remember they were pretty tough in 2e. They are a pretty stout 13th level party I will admit, the stone child has a 28 str natural!
The Ranger or should I call him the archer is a hitting machine +30 or so...so you see they are cocky.

Thorncrest

Rhun said:
1) Why not design a one of a kind type staff that has some powers that would be particularly effective against your players?

2) How about an Advanced Beholder of some kind, that enjoys using its Flesh to Stone eye?

3) Demons and Devils always make good bad guys. The beauty of the third edition rules is that you can make almost anything you want. A demon sorcerer? A cloud giant wizard? What kind of flavor are you looking for in a villain?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A marlith would be good, but it lacks the "WTF is THAT" factor.

I'd go with a half-fiend medusa, myself, maybe with class levels.

As for the staff, load it up with high level conjuration spells. That gives it flexibility as an item -- just summon a critter who can create the effect you want -- and makes sense why it needs to stay out of the wrong hands, particularly if it's actually a piece of a larger magical item (or artifact) that can open big honking portals up to Some Place Bad.

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
Ok so a staff of summoning "non alignment specific" so in the hands of a good guy it does good but in the hands of a crazed villian...so evil OK I can work with that. Should it gate? or just monster summon 1 thru 9?

can somebody post the 6 arm demon? Or tell me where on line I can find it?
Thorncrest

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
A marlith would be good, but it lacks the "WTF is THAT" factor.

I'd go with a half-fiend medusa, myself, maybe with class levels.

As for the staff, load it up with high level conjuration spells. That gives it flexibility as an item -- just summon a critter who can create the effect you want -- and makes sense why it needs to stay out of the wrong hands, particularly if it's actually a piece of a larger magical item (or artifact) that can open big honking portals up to Some Place Bad.

Hammerhead

Explorer
I'd go for a Marilith Tanari with a medusa's pretrifying snake-hair gaze and the lower body being that of an acid-dripping slug instead of a snake.

foehammerx

First Post
Hammerhead said:
I'd go for a Marilith Tanari with a medusa's pretrifying snake-hair gaze and the lower body being that of an acid-dripping slug instead of a snake.
The staff should be something that wizards would particularly fear. Like it generates an antimagic field and taps the shaodweave (or equivilent) to use its powers. The players might have to overcome this in action.

The villian should be
An efreeti noble with a vorpal Scythe. He takes trophies of his victums and thus carries a Medusa head that he uses as a weapon.

Samuel Leming

First Post
As Hammerhead suggested, use a Gorgilith.

Step 1: Start with Medusa found on page 180 of the 3.5 Monster Manual.
Step 2: Apply the Fiendish template found on page 108 of the 3.5 Monster Manual to the standard Medusa.
Step 3: Look up the Marilith(six-armed demon) on page 44 of the 3.5 Monster Manual.
Step 4: Use the Amalgam template on page 16 of Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary to combine the Marilith and Fiendish Medusa into a dreaded Gorgilith.

This critter should have a CR of arround 18 or 19. Probably higher with that staff you mentioned.

For added fun have it disguise itself as a sorceress to lure the monk in close. :]

Good luck to your PC's

Sam

Last edited:

Remove ads