I Discovored D&D Later In Life Than I Would Have Liked And I Worry That....

Kyle Johnson

First Post
Thanks Guys. Life has been happening, I'm entering manhood (emotionally and mentally) So I've been grieving a little bit for my childhood left behind. But It's good to hear you can hold on to the parts of yourself you love and keep the things you love in your life

Dynel

First Post
Don't sweat it Kyle. It's going to be okay!

I thought I got in "late" at 13 in 1987. To be honest, I didn't start thinking that until my late 30s, musing about the stuff I wouldn't have missed if I would've started in '83 or '84. Now that's silly! :)

Now, I'm 43. I've been playing rpgs for 30 years. I've taken a few breaks (a year here and there) but it's stayed with me the whole time, even if the books were just collecting dust on my shelves for a little while.

I lost interest in video games for the most part, too, to be honest and I can't explain that. I haven't stopped playing altogether, but my interest in them isn't what it used to be (when I could sit down and play for hours on end). But I haven't lost the fire for tabletop rpgs. I don't think I ever will.

CydKnight

Explorer
I picked up D&D again after 30 years in my late 40's. If you lose the itch, it shouldn't be a "concern" because it typically means you have replaced it with other interests which satisfy you. If at some point after replacing it you truly become "sad" due to its absence, you can always come back to it again. Lots of things in our life can cycle in and out like that.

Sometimes real life causes us to focus on other things that are more important at the time like marriage, career, or children. You want to hold onto your hobbies but simply can't find a way to fit them in at that particular point in time. So either it wasn't as important to you as you thought or you simply make a conscious decision to come back to it at another time when it makes more sense to do so.

I find that problems with such things like this start to occur by my own design. If I focus so intently on it's absence and how sad it makes me that it's gone, I lose sight of the fact that I have the power to change that. It shouldn't make you sad to find something gone from your life that you apparently didn't think was worth keeping around anymore.

raleel

Explorer
45 now. been playing since 1979. I've played lots of video games over the years, but somehow, they are not pulling me like they once did. However, <your diety here> help you if you mess with my tabletop game night. I fight tooth and nail for that. My friends and I are already lamenting how "real life" gets in the way of gaming, and how awesome retirement gaming is going to be. yes, we probably won't be going until 1am, but we can start at 9, go through lunch, then move it over to Denny's at 4 for the senior early bird special!

I think you’ll manage just fine. I used to game with a guy who had never even touched a tabletop RPG until after college. For me, college was the time when I told myself I didn't have time for gaming (in hindsight, I'm certain I was wrong about that statement).

Arguably, these days it’s easier to have geeky interests than it’s ever been. And if you do happen to lapse at some point, take comfort in that you will most likely find your way back at some point in the future. I certainly did, about sixteen years ago or so, and I haven’t looked back.

reelo

Hero
Thanks Guys. Life has been happening, I'm entering manhood (emotionally and mentally) So I've been grieving a little bit for my childhood left behind. But It's good to hear you can hold on to the parts of yourself you love and keep the things you love in your life
You can't stop growing older. But growing up is entirely optional. A lot of men never do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app

The only challenge I see for those of us close to 60 than 30 is not getting stuck in a rut. It can be pretty easy to stick with the same group you know, playing the same games you know, and having fun, but missing out on what might increase your fun.

There's loads of people playing everything, but there's definitely a skew towards the older generation playing older games. Nothing wrong with that OF COURSE, so long as you're trying new games with an open mind and not just doing it that way because that's the way you've always done it.

pogre

Legend
What's interesting to me as I approach 50 this year is that mature players are easier than ever to find. A lot of guys I play with are empty-nesters who have a lot more time than they did ten years ago.

Azurewraith

Explorer
So here is my concern ( a part of me already knows its silly) I found D&D near the end of collage and picked it back up a few months ago (i am 26) I really enjoy it but I'm worried I may lose my nerd self as I grow up and get older. Was wondering if anyone could offer any insights. I already have started to struggle to play video games (which makes me sad cause it has been a big part of my life). D&D lately has actually been my go to over games though (i find it more stimulating cause i can create, grow, imagine, and engage my mind alot more) I'm hoping that trend will only grow deeper as I age. I am growing fulfilled in many areas of my life outside my nerd self (which didn't used to be the case) I guess i'm just sad thinking If that continues I'll lose the nerd in me.

Hopefully someone can tell me I'm dumb and can enjoy fantasy into my 80's haha (at least 40's)
One of my gaming groups consisted of a couple 40somethibgs a 50something a 30something and a handful of 20 something. I say something's as o struggle to remember my own age. The group only broke down as the host moved and couldn't accomodate a large group so we had to run a couple smaller sessions.

Remove ads