I don't get the dislike of healing surges

Oryan77

Adventurer
Having to rely on a cleric,
....is no different than having to rely on a wizard/sorcerer if you are a fighter type. Or rely on a fighter type to take hits if you are a wizard/sorcerer. It may be harder, but you can get by without a Cleric. It may be harder, but you can get by without an arcane caster.

a wand of CLW spells,
....is how much different than relying on healing surges? From what I'm reading, CLW wands seem pretty commonplace in games. So the only difference is that the healing surges are free? Yer still relying on both.

or needing to camp for a day or more after an exciting and challenging combat/encounter = unfun.
....is any different than needing to rest after every exciting and challenging combat/encounter? Wouldn't that statement hold more ground if it was in regards to not using healing surges? Before healing surges, I could do 3 or 4 combats before I needed to rest for a night. Healing surges are causing me to rest after every fight and then I still have to rest again each night. :lol:

If people like healing surges because it keeps things moving and is convenient, then why not just eliminate the hitpoint system completely? Then you know for sure that you can always keep things moving and not worry at all about healing those pesky hitpoints. We can just say that if a bad guy hits you more than 5 times, you die. We don't need to roll damage cause figuring out how to heal it is annoying.

I'm playing Pathfinder and having to camp, use a wand, or ask the cleric for healing after every encounter is really getting tiresome.
Dude, I know what you mean. I've been playing D&D for 16 years and if I have to buy supplies, use a weapon, or ask the wizard to cast fireball one more time, my head is going to explode.

FireLance

Legend
For me hit points and healing of hit points are physical only. Game designers have tried to explain it otherwise since the beginning of the game, but the game plays like hit points are physical - it works fine that way and I cannot see it as non-physical. So healing surges feel unnatural - no other explanation necessary.
For me, hit points cannot be completely physical because if a sword thrust deals 8 hp of damage and kills a normal man, and the same sword thrust barely slows down a 10th-level fighter, either the 10th-level fighter survived something that would have killed a normal man (decapitation, stabbed through the heart, sword in the gut) and just kept going, or he somehow managed to turn the 8 hp wound into something less significant for himself than it would be for a normal man. If the former, it feels unnatural to me. If the latter, then hit points cannot be completely physical.

Oryan77

Adventurer
For me, hit points cannot be completely physical because if a sword thrust deals 8 hp of damage and kills a normal man, and the same sword thrust barely slows down a 10th-level fighter, either the 10th-level fighter survived something that would have killed a normal man (decapitation, stabbed through the heart, sword in the gut) and just kept going, or he somehow managed to turn the 8 hp wound into something less significant for himself than it would be for a normal man. If the former, it feels unnatural to me. If the latter, then hit points cannot be completely physical.

If you can think abstractly about what hitpoints are in 4e and how healing surges work, then why can you not think abstractly about how damage is dealt to characters of different levels?

I don't think of 8 damage as being the exact same from one attack to another. Even among characters of the same level. It's the overall damage from every strike during a combat that matters to me.

Eight points of damage to a level 1 Fighter doesn't have to mean that it was more powerful than the 8 damage done to a level 10 Fighter. It just means that the attack wounded the level 1 guy more than the attack wounded the level 10 guy. The points/amount of damage rolled is insignificant. The higher hitpoints is a reflection of having more "luck, skill, and resolve" which is why the higher level guy is in better shape.

That's how I think of it anyway. It makes more sense to me than explaining that a Fighter using Healing Surges is not necessarily healing physical damage & can only use 1 Second Wind per encounter, yet if he gets to -10, he dies from physical damage.

The reality is unrealistic. I've seen 2 people take the same type of injury with the same level of severity and watched one instantly pass out and the other say "Ouch," and then drive to the emergency room on their own. They were both first time shoulder dislocations.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I don't like 4E overall.

But I liked healing surges. I like the system of being able to recover on your own without magic. This better fit fantasy. You rarely see a priest administer in combat healing in fantasy books. That was more a pure D&Dism than a fantasy trope. Healing surges allowed you to show how tough fighters shrug off the fatigue and wear and tear of a recent fight.

Healing surges were a good idea. Not sure how much I loved the implementation of using them as a daily healing limit. I did like that characters could shrug a fight off without using a wand or massive healing magic. Better fit my view of how it should work in fantasy games.

FireLance

Legend
The reality is unrealistic. I've seen 2 people take the same type of injury with the same level of severity and watched one instantly pass out and the other say "Ouch," and then drive to the emergency room on their own. They were both first time shoulder dislocations.
So, even in real life, hit points are not entirely physical? :p

Grydan

First Post
As I've mentioned previously in this thread, separating the hit point abstractions into two separate pools of abstraction is a solution with a lot of merit:
(1) You have one pool that's "turning bad wounds into less bad wounds, taking physical punishment, etc." that takes a long time to recover, and...
(2) You have a second pool that's "fatigue, ability to completely avoid damage, etc." that takes a very short amount of time to recover.

With this method, you can have certain effects reflect the description as necessary. Falling completely bypasses the "fatigue" pool, and deals damage directly to your "physical" pool. Being set on fire does the same. As does being immersed in lava. As does retroactive descriptions. And so on. So many issues with hit points over the past 35 years disappear.

As old issues disappear, new issues arise.

One is that any effect that can bypass the buffer of "fatigue" hit points and go directly to the "physical" hit points is vastly more powerful and desirable than ones that cannot.

If, as you suggest, falling damage bypasses the buffer, then any effect that can push an opponent off an edge, or even better lift them and drop them, becomes signficantly better than one that just deals damage.

If, as you suggest, fire damage bypasses the buffer, fire spells and flaming weapons become dramatically more powerful than even pushing or lifting/dropping, because you aren't limited by the local environment.

A system where a torch is a better weapon than a sword has... issues.

Systems such as what you are proposing have been used before, even by WotC. One of their Star Wars RPG systems used Vitality Points and Wound Points.

For their final take on the game (Saga Edition), they abandoned the system, and replaced it with a HP + Condition Track (death spiral) system instead.

Why? Well, one of the reasons they gave is that they felt the system was far too lethal. They felt that moving away from it allowed them to better capture the heroic and cinematic flavour of the Star Wars films, which like D&D are occupied by swashbuckling adventurers, clever scoundrels, and beautiful princesses.

Do some people want D&D to be grittier and more lethal than that? Certainly. I'm not one of them, though.

As soon as ways exist to bypass a large chunk of a character's health, then those methods become what the game is really about. Save or Die effects trump HP damage. "Physical" damage trumps "fatigue" damage.

So, even in real life, hit points are not entirely physical? :p

Oops, left out the who of it. The first was a Private in basic training and the other was a Sergent goofing around off duty.

The human body can take huge amounts of damage before it can not work. This amount is pretty constant across everyone. On the other hand it takes an amount of damage that varies from person to person that causes the autonomic nervous system to panic and start shutting body parts down. This pain threshold can be physically trained.

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
As old issues disappear, new issues arise.
As someone who constantly tinkers with game design, this makes sense.

One is that any effect that can bypass the buffer of "fatigue" hit points and go directly to the "physical" hit points is vastly more powerful and desirable than ones that cannot.
Yep. This makes sense to me, and would be desirable.

If, as you suggest, falling damage bypasses the buffer, then any effect that can push an opponent off an edge, or even better lift them and drop them, becomes signficantly better than one that just deals damage.
That would be a feature, not a bug, to me and my players. I do know that mileage will vary.

If, as you suggest, fire damage bypasses the buffer, fire spells and flaming weapons become dramatically more powerful than even pushing or lifting/dropping, because you aren't limited by the local environment.
I didn't suggest that. I said being on fire. Two different things. Dodging a fire spell? The "other" pool applies. Been lit on fire? It doesn't. You didn't dodge, fate didn't intervene, you didn't get lucky.

A system where a torch is a better weapon than a sword has... issues.
I don't think that's an issue here.

Systems such as what you are proposing have been used before, even by WotC. One of their Star Wars RPG systems used Vitality Points and Wound Points.
I wonder if it's what I was proposing. Based on this post, it's not.

For their final take on the game (Saga Edition), they abandoned the system, and replaced it with a HP + Condition Track (death spiral) system instead.
Okay. That's mildly interesting. It's not something I would do for my game.

Why? Well, one of the reasons they gave is that they felt the system was far too lethal. They felt that moving away from it allowed them to better capture the heroic and cinematic flavour of the Star Wars films, which like D&D are occupied by swashbuckling adventurers, clever scoundrels, and beautiful princesses.
Makes sense. Then again, like I said, I'm okay with different feels for different genres. I like gritty in my fantasy. I like narrative play in my Mutants and Masterminds. I don't want gritty in M&M, or narrative play in my fantasy games.

Do some people want D&D to be grittier and more lethal than that? Certainly. I'm not one of them, though.
Right. Makes sense.

As soon as ways exist to bypass a large chunk of a character's health, then those methods become what the game is really about. Save or Die effects trump HP damage. "Physical" damage trumps "fatigue" damage.
Not what it's about if most effects are hard to implement. Yes, they're more effective and can be taken advantage of, circumstances permitting. Pushing someone into lava or off of a cliff is a lot more lethal. That's a good thing in my eyes, even for different playstyles.

To simulationist players, this means that if you push a guy into lava, it doesn't matter if he's really skilled at deflecting attacks, he's going to start burning, and fast. This makes sense to them.

To narrative players, if the GM let them stumble across this circumstance, it's meant to be used. These players tend to be more willing to accept the GM using his control over the narrative to implement interesting settings and circumstances, so this is controlled in these groups by avoiding lava, cliffs, etc. Easy enough.

It mainly has upsides, in my view. You don't make bypassing the "other" pool easy. You make it make sense, and balance it. I think it's doable, as I feel I've done so for my game. But that's me. I understand you don't like it. That's fine. I don't agree with your reasoning. But, in my mind, it's much easier to implement a core optional rule that combines both HP pools into one than it is to separate both. But, as always, play what you like :)

Remove ads