I don't get the dislike of healing surges

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What happened to the other 4 ogres? There were 8 in the group after all.

Well, as stated in your post:

Surprise round: Wizard drops Glitterdust, catching all 4 ogres and they all fail their save. Fighter falls back a bit to block up the doorway.

There was no mention of 8 ogres, just the "all 4". I missed that this was a continuation of other posts.

But in the case of the 8, I'd actually go with LostSoul's Web, anchored in the doorway and into the room. The spell completely clogs the doorway, acting as entangling spell, obscuring protection, and absolute bar on LoS for 10 min/level. (This nixes their javelin strikes entirely.) Even if the ogres start making the aforementioned DC20 Str rolls, this gives me time to think- their movement will still be hampered.

So I can start considering all kinds of options: simply avoiding the room, for instance, if the adventure permits; using the bottleneck effect if one or more advance towards the be webbed door; lighting the web on fire for some freebie damage on the ogres as they try to get out.

And I'd definitely have to consider whatever resources the party has beyond the Wiz's spells and the fighter's sword arm. For example, given the above, the druid's casting Flaming Sphere seems a good place to start- it would ignite the Web, doing 2d4 from the Web's ignition going up and 2d6 of its own damage.

Last edited:

Ya know, I'm not accusing anyone of this, but this current part of the thread/conversation is reminding me of a DM I had in the past in which "magic didn't work" and "tactics didn't work". (This was when we were younger, he's much improved in terms of degree and flexibility now, btw.)

His favorite class was fighter, and he basically viewed D&D as trading hps back and forth. It was a fairly constricted view of the game, and was fine when he played. Well, fine-ish, as he would frequently charge into groups of low level enemies which could have been wiped away by a single fireball, and used up far less party resources than all of the hps he (and others) traded.

As DM, if a player had "Freedom of movement" on him, it was usually more of a "target of hold person deflector" in that he would never target that player with hold person, and would instead pick the next best target. If players fought a group of zombies, the zombies would use intelligent tactics to battle us. I don't mean intelligent in the sense of clever (these he would feel would be cheating...like if the zombies forced a bottleneck, or attacked from two sides or coordinated with a trap). I mean that zombies would all attack the same pc, selecting the least armored one and surrounding it, all the while ignoring all other pcs (basically using knowledge and working as a coordinated group despite being mindless).

To him, using tactics was "cheating the game" and he'd even call basic tactics (such as the ones described in this thread) "metagaming". GOD HELP YOU if you used magic in a creative way (like trying to bring down a cavern with soften earth and stone on the ceiling instead of the common use of the floor)..it simply would never work.

My point here is that he's an extreme example of how some DMs view the game and their own DMing style. He still has a flavor of his prior behavior, and sometimes has to be reminded (e.g. Why isn't the guy targeting me with hold person?..."oh yeah, right....he targets you and it fizzles).

Sometimes DMs feel as though awarding players "easy" wins with minimal loss of resources is bad dming or player cheating, even if done well within the constraints of the game (and even within the constraints of what the characters would know...without any metagaming occuring). If a "hard" combat isn't "hard" there must be some shennanigans, right? My example DM still has a bit of this attitude, and has to remind himself that when players win through in game tactics, it's not an "easy win" because they're cheating...it's an easy win because they're playing well.

If it rankles some that playing well results in less need for healing because of less hp loss, I wonder if some of this is from a perspective on how the game is "supposed" to work, as with my DM example? Like I said, I'm not accusing anyone of this. I don't even think it's something one can be "accused" of. It seems like merely a different perspective on what people want to get out of the game, and what they think is central to the game.

(BTW, lest people think I'm ragging on him too much, the person I mention still DMs for me, I enjoy his campaigns, he plays in mine, and he's a lot of fun. I merely mean to bring up his style and attitude as one that is somewhat central to his understanding of how he thinks the game works/wants the game to work.)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Sometimes DMs feel as though awarding players "easy" wins with minimal loss of resources is bad dming or player cheating, even if done well within the constraints of the game (and even within the constraints of what the characters would know...without any metagaming occuring).
This is one reason why I prefer to play a game in which the overcoming of tactical/mechanical challenges by the players is a means to an end (in Forge terms, a technique) rather than an end in itself.

Once it becomes an end in itself, all the issues you raise in your post raise their heads.

I learned that the hard way, Pemerton, with my own experience as a "Bad DM (tm)".

I ran a campaign where I ratcheted up the challenges to excruciating difficulty, so that only through clever tactics could the players win. If they tried to play HP attrition style, they would lose, and TPK.

Exactly what you say:
This is one reason why I prefer to play a game in which the overcoming of tactical/mechanical challenges by the players is a means to an end (in Forge terms, a technique) rather than an end in itself.
was the lesson I learned when that campaign failed. Thankfully the group doesn't hold it against me, and our campaigns (even the ones I DM) have improved (just as my friend, the DM I mention, has improved as well).

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Let's compare how badly an ogre encounter can go in both editions.

1e, ogres gain maximum suprise. Let's suppose there are only 2 ogres. The first ogre charges, hitting 5 times for an average of 27 points of damage, or a max of 50. The 2nd ogre does the same Our fighter has 25 hp on average (we'll be generous and give him a 16 con.) So, two fighters dead before they even get to roll initiative. Actually, assuming average damage, they're not dead, only at -2, they don't die till -3, so they'll only need a week of bed rest.

3e, the first ogre partial charges, doing 12 points of damage on average, maximum of 23. Or 46 on a crit. The 2nd ogre does the same. Our fighter has 35 hp on average (16 con). So, only on a crit can our fighter be killed, and then just barely. 2 crits means two 20s in a row, though admittedly, that's about as likely as 5 10s.

This is with TWO ogres. Many more are likely to be encountered in either edition.

Which is more deadly? Only with extreme damage rolls and crits does someone die in 3e. In 1e, we have two characters down before initiative is even rolled. Now, does 5 surprise segments come up often? No, but it's not that rare, either. With a dex penalty, you might get even MORE surprise segments.

And honestly, the 2 ogres fight would go better for the 1e group than say 12 goblins.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
This is the thread that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some gamers started posting here, not knowing what it was.
They'll keep on posting here forever, just because,

This is the thread that never ends..... :p

Oy!

I find it amusing when a person who moves the goal posts is annoyed when the other side does so as well....

The Auld Grump

pemerton

Legend
This is the thread that never ends.
But I think it's become better since it shifted from debating taste in recovery mechanics (which I think is a bit pointless) to looking at the action resolution dynamics of various editions, and their interaction with character build rules (which I think is pretty interesting).

Remove ads