• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I feel like my world is drifting towards low magic, any tips?

JeffB

Legend
Reduce # of spells known at first level. 6 + cantrips for a MU is ridiculous IMO.
Instead of just gaining new spells automatically each level, make them find/adventure for them.

I only use the basic rules when I ru. 5e, so do not know if there is an option somewhere in the PHB or DMG, but implement a "% chance to learn new spells" based on O/AD&D.

Tony Vargas

Legend
That being said, I am not experienced enough on low magic to know how that generally translates to mechanics. I feel like I am working in that direction with my above changes, but need to actually test them to see if they get the feel I want.
I've run low-magic a few times. I ran a low-magic /items/ AD&D campaign for many years, where NPC casters were comparatively rare, though occasionally powerful. The upshot of that style of world with more-or-less regular rules for the PCs was that PC casters were much more effective, interesting to play, and that mechanisms that limited or challenged them (making spells, components, &c 'rare,' for instance; or making casters misunderstood) turned easily into plot hooks and story arcs, and could be leveraged by clever players to their advantage.

It is tricky to translate it into the world, beyond a sense in the back of my mind that the magic is not there as much. I only have a couple of Caster NPCs running around, and my players are not into playing often enough to add any to the mix. ...Sorry if it seems like I am being vague on the matter, but this is pretty much all I have on the subject of magic.
NP, you might lean more towards making magic mysterious than 'low,' and that's also helped by keeping a damper on the players magic-using options...

So anyone playing a spellcaster, or even a demi-human, is going to be treated with a certain amount of curiosity and/or suspicion by most human NPCs. This alone was enough to discourage most of the group from playing full spellcasters. (Paladins and clerics get a pass, since they are "good" magic-users.)
Good idea, having no restrictions on Paladins and Clerics, brings plenty of healing/support magic to the party, so you won't much need to re-balance encounters or 'days' or anything like that.

Though, IMX (above), curiosity/suspicion or fear of magic-users is something they can turn to their advantage. In 5e a good choice of Background, for just one instance, could help you conceal that you're a caster when it's inconvenient - while leveraging it at other times.

If you're a wizard or sorcerer or whatever, you're an outsider; no shop sells you the stuff you need, nobody around here can help you with magical research, etc. If you want the magic, you need to go to dungeons to get it.
Makes for good plot-hooks. ;)

I don't think you need to nerf spellcasters to achieve any of this. It's not necessary and it unbalances the game. Just because the setting is low-magic that doesn't mean that spellcasting PCs should be made weaker than other PCs. Just let the specialness of being a magic-user get cancelled out by the inconvenience of being a magic-user.
Balance is something the DM typically needs to manage, anyway, so fear of unbalancing the game shouldn't hold anyone back. :) Restricting or 'nerfing' magical options is a way to bring a party more into-line with a low-/no- magic setting, if that's the kind of theme the DM is going for (there's little magic in the world, and little magic among the party). It's also perfectly legitimate for the story to focus on a party of heroic casters who constitute a substantial set of the world's magic-users - even all those not downright evil - the world is low-magic, but the party & their ultimate enemies are anything but (like a super-hero setting where the party and their enemies are the only supers around).

Change cantrips to a short rest, and then deal with the biggest problem on how you want to handle healing.
Without magic also contributing to healing, HD will get stretched pretty thing and fights can go bad quickly when someone gets dropped and can't be brought back up again. The existing non-magical PC options are few and not too-high impact. Second Wind has been mocked as 'regeneration' for the fighter, but it's really not much in any practical sense. Inspiring Leader is non-trivial damage mitigation, there's a healer feat (I can never remember the exact name of) that's probably the most potent option & can net quite a bit, and there's the very limited inspirational healing of the PDK.

My experience with 4e was that when you had adequate non-magical healing (which was easy, between Surges representing far more available healing than HD, Second Wind being available to all, and Warlords having Inspiring Word, and other martial classes have a surge-trigger hear or there) and used inherent bonuses, going low- or no- magic was pretty seamless, so it /can/ work. In 5e, low- or no- magic leaves too few and not sufficiently varied PC options, and HD aren't quite enough by themselves, so you just have to exercise some of that DM Empowerment and tweak a few things beyond just limiting access to magic.

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
Sounds like you need to work on the other aspects of your world first. I find that be really getting into the who what why and whens of it all, you can find ways of running all manner of campaigns with whatever style, themes and flavour you wish.

[sblock]Have you mapped out the cosmology? Are there gods? Where do people go, if anywhere, when they die? History? If you have dungeons or ruins, who built them? In the case of ruins, what ruined them? Magical items? Do you have any? Who makes/made them? Where are they, the items and the makers, now? Are there other planes of existence? How do, if at all, people interact with them? What lives there and can they/do they visit?

With our current world, the third in our campaign, I started with a theme: 1001 Nights meets Ravenloft. Then I added an interesting seat of power for the local big cheese, added another smaller trading community, and then scattered some adventuring sites and terrain. Questions to how the ruler kept power were answered next, followed by threats and ambitions. Then it's other forces that threaten and so on.

While working on that, questions of magic would pop up so I'd make notes on a few ideas. As more pieces came together, magic and its role naturally found its place within the continuity of the world. In this case, drawing inspiration from Ravenlot's mists, magic is kept 'quiet' by The Sands, a mystical aspect that threatens spell casters who use magic while in the desert (which is 80% of the campaign map at this time.) How it threatens is left to the DM, but its typically a Sam Raimi style vibe, where magic can produce unwanted (and often horrible) side effects, typically in the form of the attention of monsters and dark forces.

With the previous world we have a totalitarian academic institution that controls magical innovation and research, which is referred to as SCIENCE. Long story short, excessive peer rivalry and an ingrained fear that magic (i.e that which is not SCIENCE and cannot be trusted) causes mental instability (which buys a ticket to a nightmarish Victorian-style mental hospital) means that 1st through to 3rd level SCIENCE is more widely accessible, at the cost of continued scrutiny, paperwork and faculty obligations. Beyond 3rd is 'experimental' and thus dangerous, obviously the work of con-men, charlatans and the mentally deviant. The in-game result is that magical ability comes with a lot of role play baggage that is intrinsic to the campaign setting, has worked very well, with all our players of magic user embracing the fun/spirit crushing bureaucracy. It also neatly avoids the problem of low level magic-marts and magical services because it is not acceptable for practitioners of SCIENCE to stoop so low as to meddle with the affair of the common people. Those that do are obviously deviants and showing signs of mental instability - cue the horrible Victorian mental health treatments.

So aye, who what why and when. Much easier to fill in the gaps when you have enough things to actually make gaps. [/sblock]

1) the cosmology is fairly basic. The Chaos has leaked through a lot of the planes, so there are many fewer than default. All of the elemental planes are intact, since they are chaotic already. The Fey wild has been mostly cut off from the world, making it difficult to access. There is a celestial place, where the gods meet, though each god has their own demi-plane. There is the full nine hells, but instead of being different planes they are all a massive tower. All of these planes are accessible through portals, though the Fey portals are rare and unreliable.

2) there is a plane of death, though I have not fleshed it out completely. I had a thread a while back talking about it, basically describing it as a massive endless blizzard. Eventually an old man (death) comes around to offer you the afterlife you have earned, after you have been walking for a millennia or two. Off course, that is much less time in the real world, since they are on different time speeds. At a rough guess, I would say 1 second=1-2 millenia.

3) history is light, but I should get around to actually writing out the New history.

4) the dungeons and ruins are either currently inhabited by the original builders, or were built before the Chaos resurgence. To lay out the basic idea,

Primordial built the world, forging it out of the elements, then Chaos pulled in to retake the space. The Primordials, and a host of other gods they called on, fought the Chaos. All of this collective divine energy made the Material plane overflow with positive power, marking a great age of expansion. Then the gods started dying, one by one, and the world started to look worse. Without going through all the details, only seven gods survived the Chaos War, leaving divine power in short supply.

This all resulted in a massive expansion of civilization, before a massive collapse. This left all sorts of old places and relics that serve as ruins and dungeons.

5) I think there are magic items, but I am thinking they will be few. Interesting, but few. They will have been constructed by people looking for utility during the Great Expansion, or maybe a few newer ones made by people wanting a way to survive the chaos. Lastly, there will be Planar Shards, flexible pieces of the raw energy from a given Plane. These shards have specific properties, and will adjust themselves to the preferred form of the first person to come in contact with them. If they are ever taken to their Plane of origin however, they will return to the Plane.

6) I answered this one a little above, but here is a more in depth version. The Elemental planes are accessed the usual way, through portals lying in their element. The Hells are accessible through deep, deep, deep tunnels, where the earth starts to become hot. The celestial plane is only accessible by invitation, as it is essentially a fortress against the Chaos. The Fey is accessed through usual fey means. A fairy circle, a hole leading into a hill, or an open knot in a tree. However, the number of these portals that can be found dwindle every year, and will eventually be gone entirely if no one makes a push against the chaos that is slowly claiming the Fey Wild. All of these planes have visitors sometimes arrive from them. The Hells, elemental planes, and Fey are the most common. The Hells come because they are either taking advantage of the chaos, or because they actually have an interest in keeping order around since it keeps them in their given seat of power. The Elemental are mostly accidental, just happening to walk/swim/fly through a portal. The Fey come asking for help, hoping they will find someone capable of pushing back against the Chaos that is chewing through their realm. It is not unusual for Feylocks, or Oath of Ancient Paladins to be called on by the higher powers in the Fey Wild, once they have shown competence in adventuring.

Thanks for the questions, and sorry for the Wall of Text.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I think the easiest solution to make a low magic world is to cherry pick what spells are available. As soon as the only spells are non-flashy ones, you end up with a world that feels lower magic without actually crippling people who play casters or needing to restrict classes.

So.. no fireball, no lightning bolt, no damage cantrips (you might leave magic stone, shillelagh, vicious mockery, maybe even shocking grasp), no illusions (possibly except phantasms).

Lots of divinations, enchantments, transmutations. Some abjurations. Some necromancy (no raising skeletons perhaps). Almost no illusions, evocations or conjurations.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Weird; illusion seems like one of the magics I'd definitely keep, since that's what "magicians" nowadays practice.

I do like the idea of restricting only certain schools of magic. That's not as much of a nerf since the remaining schools are just as powerful as they ever were.

You might even implement a soft-nerf, where spells that cause overtly physical effects are still available, but a level or two higher than normal. For combat game-balance they'd need to use the normal level scaling. E.g., magic missile would be available as a 3rd-level spell launching 5 missiles; fireball would be a 5th-level spell dealing 10d6 damage; etc. Non-damaging spells don't necessarily need any compensation for the higher spell level, since often they are unique effects. E.g., you can't really polymorph or teleport or wall of force without magic, so these effects are still somewhat balanced even at higher spell levels.

Another, similar soft-nerf is to require overtly physical spells (or "unsubtle spells," if that's what we're restricting) to be available as normal, but they consume two spell slots when cast. This puts some nice pressure on the magic-user: blowing stuff up with magic is more costly than buffs, divination, or other utility magic; but it's an option when things get hairy. You could also try introducing a cost that isn't spell slots, like hit point loss (could get really brutal really fast) or fatigue (per spell? that's rough) or even just costly material components (the relevance of this depends on how much gold you are giving out).

Tranquilis

Explorer
I've recently given up on 5e exactly because I prefer lower magic. The unlimited, damage-causing cantrips are the reason. They have made the spellcasters so bland, IMO. I love 5e otherwise.

Balance is something the DM typically needs to manage, anyway, so fear of unbalancing the game shouldn't hold anyone back. :) Restricting or 'nerfing' magical options is a way to bring a party more into-line with a low-/no- magic setting, if that's the kind of theme the DM is going for (there's little magic in the world, and little magic among the party). It's also perfectly legitimate for the story to focus on a party of heroic casters who constitute a substantial set of the world's magic-users - even all those not downright evil - the world is low-magic, but the party & their ultimate enemies are anything but (like a super-hero setting where the party and their enemies are the only supers around).
I think it really depends on the sort of players you're playing with. If you describe the world as one where magic is rare and mysterious and those who wield it greatly mistrusted, can you trust them to write and play characters consistent with that description, or not? If you can, then there's no need for any rules changes at all. Even if they're all mages, they're mages with a healthy appreciation for subtlety and restraint, and the tone of the campaign should work just fine. (I'm in a campaign like that, by the way.) But if you expect your buddy Mike to not read the campaign document and show up with a flamboyant wizard who rides a unicorn and conjures magical doves by way of saying hello, then some firmer guidelines may be in order.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've recently given up on 5e exactly because I prefer lower magic. The unlimited, damage-causing cantrips are the reason. They have made the spellcasters so bland, IMO. I love 5e otherwise.

Seems an extreme decision. Exercise some authority as a DM and cut the magic down or out. Problem solved.

Of course, if you are dealing with certain types of players, who don't believe that the DM gets to make decisions about the world s/he wants to run, you may have to find a new group.

Dkamanus

First Post
You can make the wild magic table on the PHB something actually usable by any arcane magic user. Also, story wise, prejudice against magic users (even divine ones, since peasants can't really differentiate one from another).

Most of the time, low magic scenarios have BIG consequences towards the scenario. As per Dark Sun, you can make a player actually destroy stuff if he uses a powerful version of the spell (say, Fireball. Normal using would be half the total HD, while full power the spell as usual). Using full power would give a boon while giving a problem (Arcane Rupture on the scenario). THEN use the wild magic table to see what happens.

I'd DM in a way to present a problem to the players. A massive problem might call for more risks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads