• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I Got D&D 4.1E, You Got The Questions

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Well, it was a surprise finding it out so soon and it's already been partially revised to boot. The frontpeice talks about how Collins just felt it was better to go ahead and go with the 4.1 release rather than have it come up next year.

The Wayne Reynolds cover is good, very good; dragons, fighters, spells going off, etc; very evocative.

Some high points:

Notice I didn't say 4.1 PHB or DMG or MM. All in one book. We'll get to that in a minute.
Full color slick paper throughout.
Manga-sized softback, with collectible hardcover out for Xmas. Don't worry; it has that funky 'lay flat' binding so you can't break the spine.
A CD with the character creation program and the compelte text of the book, all the tables, etc. At least it says this in the book. Um, I can't use it yet, because I have to find a CD drive it'll fit in. It's about 30% smaller than a normal CD. And it's kinda blueish. I don't know what's up with that.

The price: $25.99, 250 page softback.

The system:

It's, well... it's changed. The rules-light people will like it and it certainly does save space.
The classic Attributes are gone. Classes are gone. Hit Points are gone. Armor Class is gone.

There are four attributes: Attack, Defend, Move, Sense. You get 10 points (that's rated as 'Average Heroic' in the Tool chapter) to split between those. Everything else is handled by what feats you take. I haven't read everything yet, but it looks like this 'feat chain' thing kinda replaces classes. As in, I can have a character with Attack Action->Light Melee->Specialized Melee Attack-Fast melee Attack, Medium Endurance (Endurance kinda replaces hit points), High Skill Points->Extra Skill Points->Extra Skill Points->Specialized Training, and the Acrobatics package and call him a 'Rogue'.

Several examples are given, which also includes 'Named Chains' which are like packages of optomized feat chains to save space and time. The 'Mounted Knight' Named Chain, for example, has the chains for higher endurance, mounted combat chains, and is heavily melee oriented. there are about fifty of these to use as archetypes.

Feats occupy about half the book.
There are no spells, per se. All spells are done with a feat combo plus the Arcane Training feat. Thus, Magic Missle becomes Arcane Training->Ranged Arcane Attack->Multiple Attack->Targeted Multiple Attack->Damage Type: Fire

it says 'Arcane' but that's probably a holdover from older editions. There is no mention of different magic types.

You use only the d20 unless you use the optional damage/Hit point rules.

Your typical 4.1 statblock is: Ryn: Medium Humanoid; A5 D2 M2 S1; Endurance: Superior; Feats (Chains): Warrior, Experienced Warrior, Exotic Weapon: Giant Axe, Superior Endurance, Superior Attack. Skills: Climb 5, Jump 4, Influence (Intimidate) 3 (6), Ride 4

After the chapter on building spells and a magical tradition, about a quarter of the book is devoted to various monsters and traps.

CrusaderX

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Several examples are given, which also includes 'Named Chains' which are like packages of optomized feat chains to save space and time. The 'Mounted Knight' Named Chain, for example, has the chains for higher endurance, mounted combat chains, and is heavily melee oriented. there are about fifty of these to use as archetypes.

Did the "Ranger" Named Chain get the shaft?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
BiggusGeekus said:
Is it true about what they did to Gnomes?

Aw, man, I didn't go into races. Races are built with chains as well, which means you're going to give up some stuff for being non-human. The GM needs to prepare about six or seven Named Chains to give to his players to represent races 9whatever you call them) in his world. That said, we have racial examples in chapter five.

Yes, it's true, thank goodness. They don't have the pink hair and stuff, but the two thumbs thing is still in. They moevd the anime-look to the elves because, let's face it, they deserve it.

Gnomes are basically Superior Defense->Small Size->Improved Small Size with an additional feat point in Arcane Training so they can use Minor Arcane Training right off the bat.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
CrusaderX said:
Did the "Ranger" Named Chain get the shaft?

Heck no!
NC: Ranger: Superior Attack->Superior Ranged Attack->Special Attack (Named Enemy); Enmity (Pick Enemy)->Superior Enmity; Average Skills->Specialized Skills->Superior Specialized Skills (Pick three; usually this is Survival, Ecology (Woodland) and either Traps or Stealth); Lesser Arcane Training->The Green->Healing. No two weapon stuff to begin with, thank goodness.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
How bout magic items? +1 swords and armor are obviously gone.
what did they replace them with?
and levels? are they using the 1-100 system?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The GM sets a limit on XP; when characters reach that limit, they gain an attribute point, 5 feat points (some feats cost more than 1 pt, though not many), and a coupel other benefits. XP then resets itself. So you go up as fast or slow as the group agrees to.

Magic items: I haven't really read that part yet, but it looks more like you do something with the Imbue feat to bind a special weapon to you. The longer you use it, the better it gets. Also, once it's bound to you it's like it's considered part of you so you can give it feats, attribute points, whatever just like you can a familiar. So you adventure with this sword for a time and then it might have Superior Speed, Superior Endurance, and maybe one of the multiple attack chains.

Remove ads