I got hired in June; is it rude to look at greener pastures?

If you are offered the new job, you write your resignation letter and set up a time to talk with your boss.

Tell him/her that you've been offered a full time position at this other library and - unless they can offer you the same - you are going to take the job. If your current boss says "no can do," turn in your resignation letter/give your two weeks notice and move on.

Will your boss be a tiny bit burned, yep. Is it rude for you to look, nope.

You've gotta do what is best for you.

eabha

First Post
Last week, one of my employees (I hired her just three weeks ago) used my computer to check a job site. Just don't do that. That's really low. But otherwise, go for it.

The_Universe said:
Definitely apply, and don't tell your boss until or unless it's time to give him or her your two weeks notice.

I'm not sure I would play it that way. This would be a move to a different spot in the same organization -- it's quite likely that it will get back to his current employer one way or another. I would (assuming I had a good working relationship with my current boss) tell them up front that I was looking at the other position strictly out of financial necessity. Tell them you like working where you are, like working at the U. in general, and want to stay 'in the system'.

People don't consider part-time jobs as career-track positions. A higher turnover is expected. It's not like you took the job, went to company-sponsored training for 4 weeks, then came back and put in your two weeks.

Scotley

Hero
I hire quite a few people and for salary positions I do look at how frequently a person has changed jobs. I am less inclined to hire someone who hops around, unless they have a good reason. Moving from part time to full time is not going to be a problem, at least in my book.

IronWolf

blank
I echo the sentiments of the vast majority. Moving from a part time job to tha full time job just shows progression. I say definitely apply for it and wish you luck!

Any boss who hire any employee part time knows they are looking for better.

They might not be looking for better right now. But they are looking.

Reason?

Simple. you pay someone 10 bucks an hour for 20 hours? They can earn more working minumum wage full time. The only reason people work part time is for the greater free time.

A new mother/student etc might work for several years as a part time employee, but they are going to move on eventually.

And benefits. I worked one place 30 hours a week. My benefits package was limited to any spare change I found. had I worked 35 hours a week I'd have been considred full time and gotten: dental, medical,vision, retirement, 401 k, 2 weeks vacation, sick leave, bonuses, & a bunch more.

Part time employees are just that: Part Time. If your boss expects a quality part-time employee to be around longer than a year, he's dreaming. (Barring a situation like stay at hom mom, student etc).

To me a part time employee means temporary employee. They are going to be gone once a better deal comes up & a better deal ain't that hard to come up.

tarchon

First Post
I would say it depends on whether you indicated that you would prefer a full-time position when you got hired. If your boss knows you want full time already, I'd say there's nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, if they hired you for PT because you said you weren't looking for FT, that could be a problem.
I also agree that if it's a job within the same organization, there might be more politically acceptable ways to do it than a two-week notice after you get the offer, but it depends a lot on the circumstances.

Last edited:

Well, when I was interviewing for this position, I was coming off of working at a grocery store 30 hours a week for 8 bucks an hour. Now I'm getting $11.37 an hour for 20 hours a week. But I get benefits, because Emory University is a great employer. And I don't have to wear a crappy uniform or stand for my entire shift, so I ain't complaining. But in the interview, when they asked if full time would be alright, I remember saying that I do writing work on the side, so it wouldn't be a problem.

And it isn't, really. I can pay the bills and have some fun between the library and E.N. Publishing (and job restructuring in the university is going to get me a 75 cent raise in a month). And I think that if I got another job, I'd probably not have time to do as much writing as I like. It's definitely true that, right now at least, the writing is not as reliable as a job, but I'm working on it.

I know that if I told my boss I'm looking she'd be a little sternly disapproving, because they've been training me over the summer so that I'll be ready for when the fall semester starts. It's a medical school library, so I've been having to familiarize myself with terminology, research sites, key texts, and so on. It's actually a pretty darn good job, and I know if I stay on for a year I'll easily be able to transfer somewhere else in the system with high recommendations and no bad blood. Plus, I've got some writing aspirations I want to get out of my system first, and I'm okay being a little poor in the meanwhile.

Hm. I think I will ask my boss, not about this actual job, but about what's a good duration. It's not urgent that I get a full-time job, but it will be nice to know what the actual process would be, theoretically of course.

Hrm.

Oh, and Biggus Geekus, I now realize the PM wasn't erroneous. But I don't do layout. I do editing, and we know how much D20 publishers value good editing.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
tarchon said:
I would say it depends on whether you indicated that you would prefer a full-time position when you got hired. If your boss knows you want full time already, I'd say there's nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, if they haired you for PT because you said you weren't looking for FT, that could be a problem.
I also agree that if it's a job within the same organization, there might be more politically acceptable ways to do it than a two-week notice after you get the offer, but it depends a lot on the circumstances.

What tarchon said. :)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I would go for it. I would also speak with your boss about the desire for full-time employment. Don't talk specifically about applying for something else, but let it be know that you are interested in a 40 hour/week job.

Check with the University HR department about procedures for applying for jobs within the system. Sometime you cannot apply for a different position for X months after accpeting one. Also, some places require you to inform your supervisor prior to interviewing for an internal position.

Remove ads