I got hired in June; is it rude to look at greener pastures?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
Should I apply for this new job? Will it annoy my current boss if she finds out she has spent 2 months training me and I'm already looking to move on?

Apply for it right now. I'm sure any boss will know that someone in a part time slot offered a full time slot will try to take it. Since you're already trained, I'd think you'd have a lock on the position. No, it's not rude. Most bosses should assume you're always going to try and better yourself in any way possible.

was

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
But the same University has posted an opening that is the same as my current job, except it's full time instead of 20 hours a week. Should I apply for this new job? Will it annoy my current boss if she finds out she has spent 2 months training me and I'm already looking to move on?

Be upfront with your boss. Tell her that you love your job and enjoy working for her, but have a tough time getting by on part time hours. Tell her that you're considering applying for the open position and see how she responds. At the very least, you might be able to get her to increase your hours. Nothing will tick off your boss faster than feeling that you've gone behind her back to get the new position.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
eabha said:
Last week, one of my employees (I hired her just three weeks ago) used my computer to check a job site. Just don't do that. That's really low. But otherwise, go for it.

I don't see how that is low. Did you give this person a computer to work on and the freedom to access the internet? If so, then why would you get upset just because they happen to check a job site? The fact is that unless you've talked with her, you don't know why this person was at that site. She may have been checking for jobs for someone she knows, possibly a signifficant other. She could be there to see if her old job has gone up on the site.

Besides, let's not pretend that we don't live in a world where companies lay off employees at the drop of a hat. At one time I went from newly hired to laid off inside of seven months. Seven months, and the reason I was laid off was because they had less work since they had just made a bundle of money when they sold off part of their company. This crap happens all the time and it leaves the person with the family or the roof to keep over their head in the lurch. Let's face it, workers are given little to no reason these days to trust that their employers have their best interest at heart. Truth be told, it doesn't matter who you are, unless you own the company, the company does not have your best interest at heart.

And spying on their internet activity may be easily done, but I hardly consider it ethical. If their work is getting done and the images on their computer screen aren't offending anyone because of explicit content, why is it any of your business what sites they're checking out?

Sorry, but I just don't see your point of view on this at all.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I agree.

I hired someone about 7 weeks ago.

I'd like her to stay for a long time, but if she came to me tomorrow and said that she found a job that she would enjoy more and with better pay (or even one of the two), I'd completely understand and she'd have my full support and recommendation.

My employees are not cattle (to me), and while I expect them to give me their best while they are there, it's a two way street. I need to do everything I can to support them as well - even if it takes them elsewhere.

Gilwen

Explorer
I would probably apply (don't make it the news but don't lie about it if asked by your boss), see if I got an interview, do the interview, if they offered me a position I'd use that as leverage with my current boss for full time if you like it there, if she can't do that then accept and give 2-3 weeks notice. At the end of the day you still have to do what is best for you. Even if you get don't get the job the interview experience alone is worth it.

Gil

eabha

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
Sorry, but I just don't see your point of view on this at all.
No, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to make it sound so bitchy. :eek: But I didn't go spying. Didn't have to. It was right there when I came back to my desk. I found it just before I posted so I was still a little stung I guess.

RangerWickett said:
But the same University has posted an opening that is the same as my current job, except it's full time instead of 20 hours a week. Now I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be hired because the folks at one library would not want to be rude to the other, but on the off chance I did get hired, how bad would that be?

Should I apply for this new job? Will it annoy my current boss if she finds out she has spent 2 months training me and I'm already looking to move on?

Hmm. I've got a few thoughts on this:

1. People in the library system I work at jump around all the time from library to library, so I don't see the problem with it from that perspective.

2. You have only been in your current job for 3 months, in the same library system. You haven't been there long enough to have much of a background when they check references, and are probably still under the probationary period. That's bad, because they can let you go without having to give any reason.

3. You'll be leaving at the beginning of the fall semester. That's REALLY bad, and will piss off not just your supervisor, but anyone else that is depending on you to be there when classes start again. That will mean that they will have to work extra hours, scramble to cover the hours that they had planned for you, and will probably not forget that you dumped them at a critical time.

If I were you, I'd wait and see what opens up in a few months. They can't blame you for wanting a full time job, but they will be much happier if you were to look at a time when things were not as busy as the beginning of the fall semester. Sounds like the money isn't your biggest concern right now, so I'd stick it out until at least 6 months, if not until next summer, then start looking. But keep your eyes and ears open, and make sure your boss knows that you are interested in a full time position. Maybe they have something coming open in the near future that you can be considered for.

Remove ads