• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I Got Into CMU! [Update- Tufts too!]

ConnorSB

First Post
I got into Carnagie Mellon University, my top choice, and now I'm totally freaking out with freakish joy! *crazy scream/chortle* I'm so happy I have to tell EVERYONE!

Pittsburgh HERE I COME!

Last edited:

reiella

Explorer
ConnorSB said:
I got into Carnagie Mellon University, my top choice, and now I'm totally freaking out with freakish joy! *crazy scream/chortle* I'm so happy I have to tell EVERYONE!

Pittsburgh HERE I COME!

Congradulations :) on being accepted, and more importantly, on getting the fin aid for it :).

[ Sad history story for myself with CMU, but oh well :) ]

drnuncheon

Explorer
Good job!

Now, to tell you the most important thing (for someone on these boards anyway):

Phantom of the Attic is located on Craig Street. Walk down towards the Carnegie, hang a right at the parking lot, and it's a brown building on the left, a couple of blocks down. There's actually two - one is the comic shop (the first one you'll come to), the other is the gaming store, which is right past Lulu's Noodles.

Enjoy!

J

Uller

Adventurer
I grew up in Pittsburgh. They speak a different language there. You'll have to learn it if you want to be able to speak to the natives:

yunz: n. plural of you.
yunz guys: common variation of yunz

n'at: 'and that'. A phrase similar to "and such", used to end almost every sentence. "Hey, yunz guys going to the Clarks concert n'at?"

gum-band: rubber band

arn city: Iron City Beer. Drink it. Love it.

read-up: clean up.

worsh: wash

da-burgh: Pittsburgh

sliberty: East Liberty. A suburb of da'burgh

guins: The Penguins hockey team (well...it WAS a hockey team...now I think they play T-ball or something)

Stillers: The Steelers (there's hope...one for the thumb...one for the thumb...it can happen.

Buckos: The Pirates...like the Penguins, at one point this team played Major League Baseball. Now they just watch other teams play.

Gianiggle: Giant Eagle - a popular chain of grocery stores

Pop: Soda. To a resident of da'burgh, soda is seltzer water. If you call pop soda, you'll get some very puzzled looks.

slippy: slippery

Chuck Noel, Mario Lemuix, Lynn Swan, Jack Ham, Willie Stargel, Mean Joe Green: Various Pittsburgh saints. Note that Terry Bradshaw is NOT among these.

Ketchup: Catsup. Made by the H.J. Heinz company. There is no other kind.

Edit: For a more complete list check out http://www.pittsburghese.com

Last edited:

Shadow145

First Post
Congrats

Congratulations on your acceptance to CMU, and welcome to town! I second drnuncheon's tip, Phantom is a great store for Modules, Mini's, Board/Card Games, and miniature gaming (like Warhammer). The staff is friendly, and they will bend over backwards to help you out.

Uller isn't making a joke, by the way. Add
Yinz: variation on Yunz
Dawn-Tawn: Downtown area.

Last edited:

Remove ads