• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I got my Tact-Tiles and they are the bomb!

Black Pharaoh

First Post
Dry erase markers will also craze and crack most polycarbonate (plexiglas) and acrylic sheets.
So you need a polycarbonate-polyester blend to get the clarity you want and stil have the chemical resistance for the markers. Plexiglas and acrylic also scratch really easily

or use a sheet of glass.

Brottor Dankil

First Post
hrafnagud said:
If they came in hexes, I'd already own a set or two. The Tact-Tile people claim hexes are forthcoming, but if it was a priority, I'd think they'd have developed them already. Still waiting...

According to the manufacturer, they are waiting on their patent application to process. They said they can't risk the start-up costs of a new product line until the US Patent office gets off there rear and gets finished. Basically the design is done, but they've got to wait.

Jarrod

First Post
Re: marking lines.

You can also score whiteboard to get permanent lines. I've got a "battlemat" that I made out of half a sheet of slick white pressboard. My friend and I cut hexes ( :confused: ) into the entire thing. Took a couple of days, but we have a dry-erase hex mat. Found the slick white board at Home Depot, I think in the panelling section.

It can be done. And grid would have been easier. The cut lines turn dark with leftover marker crud. Just don't get the surface wet, or it will bubble.

Of course, now that we have it (pain to move, covers the table, and hexes can suck for indoors) we don't want to get tact-tiles because... wait for it... we've already got a mat.

And I want my tact-tiles. I really do. The big win for me would be the sliding (no more erasing. Ever.) and jigsaw.

Raging Epistaxis said:
The closest I have come is cut-to-size glass.

Heh. As a young little role-player back in the day, I wanted exactly the same thing (transparent erasable overlay). So, when we gamed and my parents weren't home, I'd steal the glass off of the glass-top coffee table, which was a perfect fit for my game table.

Unfortunately, the lead miniatures scratched the hell out of it, and the marker ink wouldn't come clean from the scratches. Mom and Dad were less than pleased. :eek:

Pigeon

First Post
The best thing for me about them is the sheer transportability of them. Compaired to my old (glass) gaming table, they are a dream.

Yes I know a battlemat would be transportable too, but not as versatile.

Droogie

Explorer
Brottor Dankil said:
I think they are going to produce a clear set. It's probably related to the patent problem as to why it hasn't been produced yet.

No offense to the makers of Tact Tiles, but perhaps a competitor will beat them to this? Chessex? Crystal Caste?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Droogie said:
No offense to the makers of Tact Tiles, but perhaps a competitor will beat them to this? Chessex? Crystal Caste?

Be kind of stupid if, in fact, the delay is because they have a patent pending.

Wulf

Romnipotent

First Post
I got a Megamat (double sided) a month ago, an ART tube, and the markers, and it does fine, while it doesn't have the functional pick and drop feature its easy enough to lug about. I admit cleanings annoying, and had I seen these at the FLGS I would have been debating what to get.

There are A2 grid sheets for like $4 per 10 as well, yay

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads