• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I got to playtest Castles and Crusades!

nsruf said:
Sounds like it might be what I am looking for. My main problem with d20/D&D is how it gets decidedly more complicated to run at higher levels. How does C&C compare - as far as you are allowed to tell?
Thank you for the offer, but that is too far away for me.
Well I have only gotten my group to about 5 level on average. I've been bumping up the exp a bit per encounter, so we can look at all aspects of the game, along with allowing a character tree so we test all the class and race combo, so soon I will see how he game flows as the levels increase.
ken

gideon_thorne

First Post
I have a quick question for the representatives of Troll Lord Games who are following this thread.

How much - if any - of the C&C rules will be published under the OGL? Is there any chance that we will see third-party support for the new system?

We're using the OGL and SRD to publish the game. Some items will be straight from the SRD and many others wont. The books themselves will have listed what is open content and what isn't.

As for 'support', well it is a game company publishing it, and we already have a large fan base from the Castles and Crusades Society. The system is at least loosely compatable with the editions already published. Minimal work is needed to plug in or remove any mechanic you care too.

There will be a line of modules and assorted odds and ends to go with the core book(s)

How much more is needed? :)

Peter

C&C/Zagyg Artist

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
NeuroZombie said:
My Mistake, just making a note of what I was under the impression the various acronyms meant as read from many sources. The online sources must be wrong :)
Well, anyone can call something anything they want... but if the acronym OD&D for Original D&D is to make any sense it should only be used to refer to the Original box of three booklets (and their supplements) that was first published in 1974.

Granted, it doesn't say "OD&D" on the cover, since there was no confusion about versions back then. Like World War I wasn't called that until World War II came along. :eek:

/Mikael

cleaverthepit

First Post
I don't know how much of the game will be open, we are conferring with Mac Attack the Noodle Knacker (he posted previously). He should be able to address that question shortly.

As for third party publishers. Yes, there are several publishers who are considering releasing material compatible with the rules (as if that would be difficult). We are working out the details on this at the moment. Of course, Castle Zagyg will be presented using the Castles and Crusades rules.

We are also lining up severalvery good writers to do a seriesof adventures for us (Casey Christofferson for example). we intend to release quite a few modules under the system. We are,in fact looking at 6-12in the first 6 months. The system will also be supported by the Crusader Magazine in which rules and options are to be addressed.

I think, if I get permission, I can post the core classes later this evening.

Davis Chenault
Troll Lord Games

cleaverthepit

First Post
Well, as lead designer (that's me - davis) I had several goals. One of which was to pore over the rules from all editions and all permutations and pull out the core unifying elements and designs, strip them bare and start from ground zero. Hence, there is a unifying theme.

We have added a little here and there and created a few very unique manners of dealing with issues that have proven problematic in all editions. Again though, these will not unfamiliar though they are unique. They are also mutable without drastically effecting play. (more on that later).

The design team is made up of members of the Castle and Crusade Society. There are many 3e fans, 2e fans and of course 1efans. There are even a few OADD fans, a Godlike fan and a Rolemaster fan. We have gatherd under one banner to create a game we all, hopefully, like. And we have done it without devolving into 'edition wars.' And I want to tip my hat to them for alll the innovative thought and for helping bring this game to fruition.

I should say we do have a pugalistics section which is funny to read as everyone needs to let off steam every once in a while. check it out --- http://pub83.ezboard.com/ftrolllordgamesfrm117.showMessage?topicID=22.topic really, some of it is funny.

Davis Chenault
Troll Lord Games

bloodymage

House Ruler
I'm also under an NDA, but California folks can check out the playability of the latest playtest version at KublaCon in May. Steve has given me permission to introduce Castles & Crusades to the gamers at the con. No one will get a look at the rules, but you'll have an opportunity to create characters and play under them. I'm planning an eight-hour run with two-hour sign-ups, to allow as many people as possible the chance to experience this new offering from the Trolls.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads