• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I guess Jon Schindehette out. Bad news for D&D NEXT?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Jon explains the remark on his blog.

http://theartorder.com/wtf/?fb_source=pubv1

To quote "After some long, difficult and emotional conversations with people I respect in the industry, both inside and outside of Wizards, I have recognized that I can be a greater contribution in another opportunity. Given that, I have chosen to look for a creative opportunity that allows me to be that value-added person, to flex my creativity and put my passion for what I do into effect. Additionally, I’m looking for a position that allows me to pursue some of my other passions unfettered – my love of mentoring and teaching, my passion for growing the arts community, and my desire to improve the little area of the world that I can affect."

So he wasn't fired and hasn't quit, but he is looking for another position.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Who's Next?

It's a shame that he's leaving as he seems to have put in a lot of effort to try and get all the visual aspects of D&D and FR for the next edition to make sense, as it were. I've appreciated that sort of work - especially as a fan of FR - even if I have no interest in a third edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (aka Next).

Iosue

Legend
I still don't go in for the conspiracy theories that people are leaving because they think Next is going to crash, or the like. But this is definitely screwed up.

Gaming Tonic

First Post
I still don't go in for the conspiracy theories that people are leaving because they think Next is going to crash, or the like. But this is definitely screwed up.

I don't know if Next is going to crash and burn but I think that the Hasbro umbrella and talent not being able to work on any projects which are not related to D&D without some problems has more to do with this. When Jon says "Additionally, I’m looking for a position that allows me to pursue some of my other passions unfettered" that is what I take from the statement and other things I have read from other people who have left the team. Creative types might want several outlets to express their creativity and not have Hasbro lay claim to all that they do. I could be wrong but the talent keeps leaving the building and while there is still a lot of creative people on the project, numbers are dwindling. I am wondering if Hasbro shouldn't have just licensed out the D&D name and allowed another company dedicated to gaming to construct it at this point. There have been quite a few misses when dealing with their fan base over the past several years. A couple hits as well (the open playtest for one), but gamers have long memories and the wounds have cut deep.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
When Jon says "Additionally, I’m looking for a position that allows me to pursue some of my other passions unfettered" that is what I take from the statement and other things I have read from other people who have left the team. Creative types might want several outlets to express their creativity and not have Hasbro lay claim to all that they do.

This has been the explanation of Monte and Stan! for why they left, and I would imagine Cordell's as well (although I do not remember hearing him say that specifically.) I imagine this must be a Hasbro-mandated rule when it comes to working there full-time... and it's a bitter pill to swallow if you are not willing to plunge head first into the "D&D all the time!" body of water.

Fortunately for WotC, there is no shortage of people who are probably willing to jump down that rabbit hole to work on D&D, and thus they can replace those folks with cheaper and more single-minded alternatives.

Remove ads