I hate cat-people, dog-people, lion-people, etc

Gundark

Explorer
I think what makes it good or not is if the race was is like their real world counterpart. I can't remember the suppliment but I think that the race was actually called "cat-people". If the designer has gone thru the effort to make it interesting and different then I think it's cool. They also have to fit the setting....The have a lion race in the power of the jedi sourcebook...... :confused: .....having earth like creatures in star wars just doesn't fit.

I don't mind them if they're MORE than just cat/dog/lion/cow people. Usually, the problem is that they're just animals that walk on two legs and have opposable thumbs. One of the players in the Star Wars game that's in my Story Hour had a whole race of 'cat people', and though they had some of the stereotypical ideas, they also had more to them. So instead of just walking cats, they also have the ability to change shape, they're very hive minded instead of single minded, will pretty much die in any non-tropical temperatures, and are even more vulnerable to metal.

There's MORE there than just the simple cat people. One thing I notice is that there's also too many animal humanoids that keep popping up everywhere. We've definitely reached the 'enough is enough' point.

kenobi65

First Post
Dunno if it makes any difference, but keep in mind that minotaurs and rakshasas are based on creatures in real-world mythologies (Greek and Indian, respectively).

Which might suggest that there's been furries out there for a very, very long time. ;)

kenobi65

First Post
Gundark said:
IThe have a lion race in the power of the jedi sourcebook...... :confused: .....having earth like creatures in star wars just doesn't fit.

Yeah, that one's particularly egregious...IIRC, that species has a lion sub-species, a tiger sub-species, a cheetah sub-species, etc. :p

Edit: Oy. SW has the Cathar...and the Farghul...and the species I mentioned above (which I can't remember the name of, but it first appeared in the WEG alien books). I think they've got more than enough cat-people now.

Last edited:

Gundark said:
They also have to fit the setting....The have a lion race in the power of the jedi sourcebook...... :confused: .....having earth like creatures in star wars just doesn't fit.

The race is the Cathar, which originally appeared in the Tales of the Jedi comics. And earth like creatures in Star Wars DOES make sense. It has to...or Millenium FALCON wouldn't make any sense at all.

Its pretty much estabolished that while Star Wars may not have the EXACT same kind of creatures as on Earth, there are things close enough to cats, dogs, etc that it doesn't really matter.

kenobi65

First Post
diaglo said:
but they have multiple forms. the tiger one is not the only one.

Good point, D, but it's the humanoid tiger (with or without the freaky fingers that bend the wrong way) that always seems to be the depicted illustration in the various monster books.

Gundark

Explorer
francisca said:
What I really hate, though, are people people. I dated this cheerleader in high school. She was a "people person", loved small, cute, furry animals, and thought Bruce Willis was cuter than me.

:heh:

Well thanks for the rant review.... Bruce Willis really cuter than you?? sucks to be you :p

I realize that this isn't huge problem in rpgs.....I just groan when I see it.

Come to think of it, the Beastmen (goat-people) and skaven (rat-people) from Warhammer don't bother me at all, though -- in fact, I actually quite like them. Maybe it's just cat-people and dog-people that I don't much like, having seen them in all kinds of inappropriate venues (Traveller, the Man-Kzin Wars, etc.) where they really didn't make sense.

Or the fact that skaven and beastmen are more than simply ratmen and goatmen, and are thus more interesting.

Remove ads