I hate cat-people, dog-people, lion-people, etc

Gundark

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
Or the fact that skaven and beastmen are more than simply ratmen and goatmen, and are thus more interesting.

I think that this is what makes it fly or not for me.....like Ankh-Morpork said if they are nothing more than walking versions of the animal with opposible thumbs, then they're lame. If they're flashed out and developed then it's cool.

VirgilCaine

First Post
francisca said:
Your rage is so blinding that you left out the Pig-People Orcs from the 1e MM and those turtle-dudes from the savage coast.

You forgot the scorpionmen, the lupins, the wallaras, the enduks, and the flying elves from Savage Coast. And the several types of lizardmen.

Good point, D, but it's the humanoid tiger (with or without the freaky fingers that bend the wrong way) that always seems to be the depicted illustration in the various monster books.
So, in practice, the PCs would only see the rakshasha this way when the big fight happened and they had figured out that the rakshasha was some kind of shapeshifter.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Let me guess... Your hatred extends to all of these as well?

Hyena-people (gnolls)
Frog-people (bullywugs)
Lizard-people (lizardfolk)
Horse-people (centaurs)
Fish-people (merfolk, sahuagin, locathah)
Snake-people (yaun-ti, naga)
Octopus-people (mindflayers)

Many of the standard creatures in fantasy have been inspired by races with aspects of various animals. I don't fault them for keeping up the trend.

edbonny

Explorer
Are orcs considered pig-people? I always thought that from their portrayal way back when in the days of the D&D expert rules set.

- Ed

Kalendraf said:

Hyena-people (gnolls)
Frog-people (bullywugs)
Horse-people (centaurs)

Many of the standard creatures in fantasy have been inspired by races with aspects of various animals. I don't fault them for keeping up the trend.
Er, some of those are pretty shaky interpretations as animal-X-people. Just having a few features that are similar, such as a rubbery body with tentacles in place of a mouth does not make mindflayers octopus-people, for instance.

diaglo

Adventurer
Kalendraf said:

Hyena-people (gnolls)
Frog-people (bullywugs)
Horse-people (centaurs)

Gnolls are Troll/Gnome hybrids not hyena people. :p

you also forgot Trogs.

Remove ads