• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I Hate That I Lose Enthusiasm...

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I hate that I lose enthusiasm for a campaign when I know I am down to the last few sessions and I have the next one all planned out. The current game has been going for basically a year. Only two of the original 8 players are still in the group and only one of the original PC's is still around. We took 6 weeks off in March, during which I basically disbanded the group and reformed it, taking up the game basically where we left off. With all of that, it has been hard to keep the game going forward at times, especially now, when they are on the verge of the climactic encounter with the final BBEG that we have been building up for over the course of the game.

Nobody in the group has ever played a PC to as high a level as we are now (and some of them are 1E and 2E veterans) and it has become more of an "oohing and aahing" at the cool things they can do than an interest in pursuing the undoing of the BBEG and stopping his evil acts. They are also starting to get excited about upcoming games and such.

I am not really looking for advice or anything, just needed to express how I felt. Of course, it doesn't help that I have been sick for about two weeks and work has been very demanding lately. I just need to get enthusiasm up for these last few sessions. I have some cool stuff planned and don't want it to fall flat.

Thanks for reading.

DM

Sounds like DM burnout to me. Will someone else in the group DM after your campaign ends and give you a chance to play? We switch off every two "adventures" between two campaigns and I find it really recharges my DM batteries.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Getting to the end of a campaign (rather than just ending a campaign) is tough. It's happened to me *once*. That was three weeks ago. Every other time, everyone moved away first.

Good luck with the game, wolf70!

Cheers!

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
Sounds like DM burnout to me. Will someone else in the group DM after your campaign ends and give you a chance to play? We switch off every two "adventures" between two campaigns and I find it really recharges my DM batteries.

Actually, yes. Another player is going to DM for a bit while I finish getting the new game ready. I don't think I am having "DM burnout" so much as excitement for my next idea. As MerricB said, I have had many more campaigns end than I have actually finished. I think I have "current campaign burnout." The bloom is off the rose and the end is in sight, while the next fresh idea has all the excitement and promise of starting over.

DM

MadMaxim

First Post
wolf70 said:
Actually, yes. Another player is going to DM for a bit while I finish getting the new game ready. I don't think I am having "DM burnout" so much as excitement for my next idea. As MerricB said, I have had many more campaigns end than I have actually finished. I think I have "current campaign burnout." The bloom is off the rose and the end is in sight, while the next fresh idea has all the excitement and promise of starting over.
That feeling is all too familiar... I hope you find the enthusiasm to finish off the charact... I mean the campaign! Can't it get you at least a little excited to finally get to set the characters up against the BBEG you've spent hours planning? I sure would look forward to it if I were you :) Oh, and good luck with the upcoming campaign!

Remove ads