• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "I have a 45 Strenght!"

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
With the fan creation for Grazz't (absolutely excellent), I am wondering if 30 is the upper limit for any ability score?
Maybe (or not) WotC plans on a release covering heroes above 20th level, and ability scores higher than this limit will be covered. Or maybe the MM2 (or Deities & Demigods)?

Curious to know if anyone has made a fan created chart covering stats above 30?

It's easy enough to extend the scale; the question is whether we should. Having not seem the MM yet, I don't know what the upper limits are, and you don't want to inadvertantly break the bounded accuracy design of 5E.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I certainly hope not.

30 as a hard cap for super-supernatural creatures (titans, uber dragons, deities, terrasque, etc...) seems perfectly fine.

The ability is not, somehow, a "better ability" just because it is a higher. I mean, yes, technically, it is...that's kinda how abilities work, but I mean, a line's gotta be drawn or no number has any meaning [if we can just continue into infinity]... things are not "kewler" just because a higher number is attached to it.

Drawing the line for "this is the strongest, smartest, wisest, most dexterous, etc etc... that exists in the universe" at 30 is sufficiently "wow."

aramis erak

Legend
We have two editions where epic is just an excuse for high numbers in the character sheet. I hope it's different this time around.

2 editions?

I think back to some of the AD&D stuff, and people pushing for high numbers on the sheet as "epic monsters" even then.

I also think the use of Legendary and Lair actions can add a lot of "epic feel" without high numbers.

Vic Ferrari

Banned
Banned
The problem for 4th Ed math for me, was it seemed that if you were a 1st level character fighting 1st level monsters, at 25th level fighting 25th level monsters, you still needed the same raw roll on a d20, so, I became disillusioned.

I also became disillusioned with 3rd Ed (no caps, natural 20 needing to hit, natural 1 needing to fail, a lot), leading me to 4th Ed, to once again become, yeah.

I like that in 5th Ed a hundred angry armed dudes is a problem, regardless of CR/HD/Level.

Remove ads