• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have finally found religion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balok the Strange

First Post
....to be more specific, I have finally founded a religion.

I have come to the realization that none of the current religious trends currently offered provide me with any sense of awe. I will explain, but if you are a religious individual who may take umbrage, please stop reading this now.

Now, to begin with, we'll start with the three Abrahamic faiths, those being, in order of founding, Judeism, Christianity, and Islam. Judeism has, over the past three millennia, become much more of a culture than a religion (although there is a growing movement to change that), and I can't get past those dietary restrictions (I really like bacon double cheesburgers, and trafe like that is really frowned upon). Christianity has a dizzying array of sects and denominations. I was raised as a Catholic, but got very tired of the calestenics involved in the services. Islam has a few interesting points to make, but I never found women's ankles to be that sexy, so the whole burkha thing has me turned off from that.

Eastern religions also come in a rainbow of flavors. From Japanese Shinto, Confusionism and Taoism (both from China), Bhudism and Hinduism (those are from India), Zoroastrianism (from ancient Persia), to belief in the Dreamtime (from Austrailian aborigenies), there are way too many to choose from.

African religions including the Orishas (which my significant other follows), as well as a few others are also a bit out of my realm of belief. Even the derivatives of African religious practices, those being voudoun and voo-doo (which are hidden in the trappings of Christianity, a hold over from the old slavery days), are not quite my cup of zombie juice.

So, I am left bereft of religion...unless I go back to some of the other ancient European religions or their more modern offshoots, those being the various divisions of Wicca (which, oddly enough, were recreated in the middle of the 20th century by one of the former followers of Aliester Crowley (I know I spelled it wrong) and member of the Order of the Golden Dawn. I've read The Illuminatus Trilogy, so I can clearly not choose the religion in front of them.

So, again, no religion. I have, however found my spiritual advisor:

George Carlin.

No, seriously! I mean it!

This would make me a Carlinite, and I hereby declare myself the Grand High Mucky-muck of Carlinists everywhere. The basic tenets of Carlinism are simple:

1: All humans are full of crap.

2:There is no religious manual, you just have to join the Bookclub.

3: There is no central meeting place and no holy ground, just a place for your stuff.

As this religion is just starting up, I need some help in collating the necessary religious doctrine. There is no apochryphal material, but all elements need to be tied directly to St. George the Curmudgeon.

Please help me create the Gospel According to George. The first book is the Book of BS. And it goes like this:

Please assemble the following letters in the proper order to reveal the path of a true Carlinists. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Hint: You may have to use some letters more than once.

Last edited:

Torm

Explorer
While moderately humorous, I'm more aghast - but, that's because I know the rules here. Since you have only 28 posts, I assume you don't yet. :) Religion and politics are a no-no, for the most part.

Otherwise though: Hi, and welcome to ENWorld! :D

And, no, I'm not a moderator, but I AM a LG deity, so .... ;)

Balok the Strange

First Post
Alright, perhaps "religion" is too strong a word.

Carlinism is no more a religion than Scientology or The Jedi Order are (I know that if you look it up, you will find that being a Jedi is an officially recognized religion in the UK, but, hey, these are the same people that brought us soggy bacon sandwiches and "The Naked Chef"!). It ranks up there with Pastafarianism (look for the manual on that one coming out in February!)

Carlinism is more of a state of mind.

More than a philosophy, less than outright deification, Carlinism strives to find something, anything other than the normal bullcrap that homosapiens spew forth from their cerebral cortices. That, and it's funny as all get out!

Besides, Torm, considering your avatar, your admonition is really kind of funny as well!

Torm

Explorer
It wasn't the Carlinism that was the problem - except insofar as it parodies and therefore comments on real religions. It was the comments at the top of your post about real religions.

And, truthfully, I don't have a problem with it, personally - I'm a big 1st Amendment guy. But, posts like this cause flamewars - and ENWorld is too nice a place for that, for the most part. :)

Clue: If the TITLE of your thread includes the word "religion", think twice. Then, think again. :D

Torm

Explorer
Balok the Strange said:
Besides, Torm, considering your avatar, your admonition is really kind of funny as well!
True! :D

But, I think everyone gets that it refers to the D&D mechanic "smite", and my fictional self, not a capital "G" god. ;)

Also, excellent use of "admonition", there. Triple word score, even.

Balok the Strange

First Post
Torm said:
Also, excellent use of "admonition", there. Triple word score, even.

*Bows*

Thank you, thank you. I hope it makes up for my abominable spelling in the original post.

But, to continue with the thread as stated, do you have a favorite Carlinism to add to the growing doctrine of the Carlonites? I'm hoping to get something put together before the Man goes to the Home for Those Who Mean Well.

Ambrus

Explorer
I can only pray that you will soon be touched by his noodly appendage... :(
th_FSM3d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads