• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
"...but Lancelot, your approach means that I'll need obscene amounts of XP to get to 3rd level wizard!" Sure, but you needed them in 1e as well. At the same time your elven F/MU/T was hitting 2nd level in wizard (7,500 XP, split three ways), the party druid was already 4th or 5th level.
1e also gave xp awards for GP and magic items earned, as well as optional bonus RP experience awards.

But yes, 5e is about as fighter/wizard-y as just about anyone needs to be. :3

And you can always gestalt using the rules from the (nearly identical) 3.x ruleset.

EroGaki

First Post
OP, I'd like to know if there are any rules for calling outsiders? I don't mean the summoning spells from the PH, but actual conjuring; magic circles, true names, things of that nature.

Also, are there rules for creating your own spells?

Last edited:

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Before fifth edition released I was wary of WotC promising things they couldn't deliver. Then the PHB came out and I was relived. Then the MM came out and I was happy. I'm prepared to wait for the DMG and trust them to produce the same quality as the first two books.

fjw70

Adventurer
The real question is if the infamous facing rules are included in the tactical combat section. The developers were very excited about those. :)

Ragmon

Explorer
Thanks Nikosandro. :)

I have 2 yes or no question:

1 - Any mention of alternative healing when resting (short or long)?
2 - Any rules tied to backgrounds?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Wilderness Survival.

Are there rules for quicksand, demonic quicksand, fey quicksand, infernal quicksand, celestial quicksand, and necrotic quicksand?

Nebulous

Legend
I want to know about alternate healing options as well. And lingering wounds. Anything like that. Anything that manipulates the default hit point and recovery rules.

If there are options for facing, opportunity attacks are about to become a lot more important. How does facing deal with how weak they are right now? Why not just walk around each other the whole time?

AOO is not weak as the rules are now, it just stopped being quite as ridiculous. Many tactical rules that would make sense in a one second combat round don't work as well in an abstract combat system such as D&D.

So if a combat round is 6 seconds long, does that mean a fighter is staying still and facing the same direction the whole time? Also, why is that slow punk only attacking ONCE!

3E style AOO was utterly ludicrous. You could be fighting 3 big scary opponents at once, no problem but if an enemy ran behind you then you could easily turn your attention away enough to attack him without ANY consequences for taking your eye off the 3 guys you were already fighting. The stupid.....it hurts.

Ironbound

First Post
AOO is not weak as the rules are now, it just stopped being quite as ridiculous. Many tactical rules that would make sense in a one second combat round don't work as well in an abstract combat system such as D&D.

So if a combat round is 6 seconds long, does that mean a fighter is staying still and facing the same direction the whole time? Also, why is that slow punk only attacking ONCE!

3E style AOO was utterly ludicrous. You could be fighting 3 big scary opponents at once, no problem but if an enemy ran behind you then you could easily turn your attention away enough to attack him without ANY consequences for taking your eye off the 3 guys you were already fighting. The stupid.....it hurts.

If you're more a fan of that style of combat, than that's right for you, obviously, since it's DnD and whatever you like is the "right" answer.

In my mind, however, I have no trouble seeing a fighter only getting one good attack off in 6 seconds, the rest being footwork, feints and etc, and then as he increases in level being able to make more and more effective attacks in that amount of time. The fighter also wouldn't be facing one direction the whole time, facing change on your turn was plentiful in 3.5 rules (two changes on your turn if you didn't move, one free one for every square you moved as well as the one free one if you do) it was just that you always had to figure out how best to end your turn with your back to the least amount of threat possible.

Last thing, the situation you're describing at the end sounds like exactly what facing was supposed to eliminate, so I don't see how you think it's actually a problem with it! haha

Remove ads