D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They have a dice pooling alternate skill system, so the level one Prof bonus is a d20 +1d4, up to a d12 bonus. Rogues and Bards get an extra die for Expertise skills.

They have another variant which boils down to all skill checks being rolls based on abilities, each class getting to add their proficiency bonus on two abilities (maybe three for Rogue?).

They have another one where the proficiency bonus is applied wherever a player is able to make case to the DM and table based on the background as written out by the player. 13th Age does something like this, I believe.

They may have had another alternate system, but everything maintained the proficiency bonus one way or another; nothing like skill points whatsoever.

aramis erak

Legend
Caveat: I have not read through most of the book, just barely skimmed it and looked up Skills in the back. That said, there are three variant proficiency options, but none I saw that are more granular like a skill point system. Instead they are things like "Ability Score Proficiency", "Background Proficiency" and "Personalty Trait Proficiency" systems.

Ability Score Proficiency: Mirrors Castles & Crusades.
Background Proficiency: Similar to Barbarians of Lemuria.

Both of which are far less granular than standard 5E.

Personality Trait Proficiency makes me think Fate-System games.

They're all likely excellent for capturing that slightly more free-wheeling 0E or C&C feel.

Fralex

Explorer
Oh well. For now it's easy enough to make a feat that gives you expertise in some things you currently have regular proficiency in.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Morale is a DC 10 Wisdom save for the creature or group leader. If the opposition is overwhelming, save is made at disadvantage. (DM can also say the save auto fails.) Saves are made when creature/NPC is surprised, reduced to half or less hit points the first time in combat, has no way to harm opponent. Groups may flee if all are surprised, the leader is killed, captured, etc, or the group loses half or more of its total number while the opposition suffers no losses.

In the case of a leader making the check, are there rules for the other creatures to check loyalty? Also are there any situational modifiers to the DC or the roll besides overwhelming opposition?

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I've read through a lot of the book. It's good. For someone who had never DMed before, i think it is fantastic. I wish it had more modular options, but that's just me and not a fault of the book or what they promised necessarily. In my mind I kept imagining it like 3e Unearthed Arcana. Now, if it had been 30 pages longer with more crunch, that would have been sweet.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Oh well. For now it's easy enough to make a feat that gives you expertise in some things you currently have regular proficiency in.
Yeah they should have folded that into the Skilled Feat as an option probably. Gain new skills, or gain expertise in a single skill.

Remove ads