D&D 5E I have the DMG!

ccooke

Adventurer
What's odd is if you set a trap's danger to Setback, say the party has two characters affected by it. One 4th level, one 5th level. The 4th level character takes 1d10 damage. The 5th level character takes 2d10 damage. From the same trap. :) (I'd never play it that way as DM, but it's something odd I noticed.)

I believe the intent is that you work out a level for the trap based on the level of the party. That would be average level, usually :)

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Is there any clarification as to the Use an Object action - does that cover using items such as magic wands, drinking a potion, and so on. In particular I am wondering how this interacts with a Rogue Fast Hands ability.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Morale is a DC 10 Wisdom save for the creature or group leader. If the opposition is overwhelming, save is made at disadvantage. (DM can also say the save auto fails.) Saves are made when creature/NPC is surprised, reduced to half or less hit points the first time in combat, has no way to harm opponent. Groups may flee if all are surprised, the leader is killed, captured, etc, or the group loses half or more of its total number while the opposition suffers no losses.

Awesome, thank you very much. :)

Mephista

Adventurer
Just a quick question I'm hoping someone who's scanning through the thing can tell me -

Is there anything at all in there about Fiend summoning? Or the construct building? They may be part of the magic item section, if hints in the Monster Manual are anything to go by. Something about needing certain amulets or books?

MechaPilot

Explorer
Just a quick question I'm hoping someone who's scanning through the thing can tell me -

Is there anything at all in there about Fiend summoning? Or the construct building? They may be part of the magic item section, if hints in the Monster Manual are anything to go by. Something about needing certain amulets or books?

I saw a book of golem creation in the magic item section when I flipped through it, but I haven't gotten around to reading the whole book thoroughly yet.

Anth

First Post
I hope I haven't missed this answer:

What's the disclaimer on the front page say?

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast does not officially endorse the following tactics, which are guaranteed to maximize your enjoyment as a Dungeon Master. First, always keep a straight face and say OK no matter how ludicrous or doomed the players’ plan of action is. Second, no matter what happens, pretend that you intended all along for everything to unfold the way it did. Third, if you’re not sure what to do next, feign illness, end the session early, and plot your next move. When all else fails, roll a bunch of dice behind your screen, study them for a moment with a look of deep concern mixed with regret, let loose a heavy sign, and announce that Tiamat swoops from the sky and attacks.

(copied from post #446 in this thread)

defendi

Explorer
I haven't seen an answer when I search this thread. I apologize if I missed it. Have the encounter building rules changed in the DMG? They are marked as a work in progress in the basic rules.

Fralex

Explorer
I remember in the Magic Items section of the playtest there were these awesome random tables you could roll on to make the less-interesting +X items more cool. You'd end up with stuff like, a +1 quarterstaff that magnifies your voice on command, but needs a drop of blood to function. Are there something like those tables in the DMG?

Nobody seems to have answered my question, but I snuck a look at a DMG in a bookstore and can gleefully confirm that yes, those tables are all there.

Remove ads