• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
You can use the lingering wound table when the target is critted, when reduced to 0 HP, or when failing a death save by 5 or more.

There are a few pages on traps, with several examples and tables that suggest save DC and damage.
Thanks so much Nikosandros!

If you have time, are you able to give an example of an effect on the lingering wounds table? I promise no more questions from me!

Man, from what I have seen here, the DMG options are going to be SWEEEEET ! :D

txshusker

First Post
I'd like to see some examples of the lingering wound table.

my marriage = disadvantage on all charisma checks, char unable to use persuasion, also begins each combat with -2 temporary hit points. OR... character always saves with disadvantage and has the choice to auto fail death saves.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I'm greatly looking forward to getting this book, and if I have any complaints, I'll hold off until I've had a chance to digest the content myself.

I do want to address +3 shields breaking bounded accuracy. They do, but since the game math supposedly assumes no magical gear, all +X items break bounded accuracy by their very nature. That's the point.

I will agree, though, that having +3 armor and a +3 shield is probably too much. That's enough magical armor bonus to completely negate a 20th level character's proficiency bonus. As such, I recommend being very reluctant to hand out +3 shields or let them be made.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Maybe it's time we start arguing about whether we got what was "promised in abstract terms like "bounded accuracy" and "wealth by level" and instead look at the actual system in front of us and judge whether we like it.

To clarify, because I realize this sounds a bit terse, I think it's worth examining whether the final system succeeds or fails, but trying to justify it in terms of how well we think it fits what the designers originally intended years ago early in the design process seems counterproductive.

When it comes to magic items, it looks like 5e has designed a system where a party with minimal magic items (just +1 weapons to overcome resistance) can take on appropriate CR challenges from level 1 to 20. The DM can keep magic as rare as he wants without worrying that he's breaking the high-level math by not giving the party their wealth-by-level. At the same time, another group that get tons of magical items will certainly be more effective, but the +3 cap on numerical bonuses ensures that even those characters aren't head and shoulders above appropriate CR encounters, and the three-attunement limit ensures that they have interesting char-op tradeoffs to make when equipping their characters (which is the kind of stuff those groups often enjoy, IME).

I do want to address +3 shields breaking bounded accuracy. They do, but since the game math supposedly assumes no magical gear, all +X items break bounded accuracy by their very nature. That's the point.
The game never actually breaks, though. Bounded Accuracy is strict enough as a baseline that, even allowing for an unexpected +6 to AC, you don't really get to situations where someone is un-hittable by creatures whose damage would matter.

Tormyr

Hero
These are not the tables I was talking about. There were four of them. They looked like this:
*snip*

Sorry. I did not go far enough back in the thread and assumed it was treasure generation. I love those tables and what they start. Somehow, an air elemental sword with a song, morphed into a sentient +1 sword that is as deranged as its owner.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The game never actually breaks, though. Bounded Accuracy is strict enough as a baseline that, even allowing for an unexpected +6 to AC, you don't really get to situations where someone is un-hittable by creatures whose damage would matter.

Sure. By breaking bounded accuracy, I simply mean that it breaks the established bounds. And +6 does break them by enough to make me uncomfortable.

Remove ads