• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "I Have...the Power!" - Your Picks for Next Power Source

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Science!: Nonmagical tech in the scientific romance style. The previously mentioned Agatha Heterodyne would be a good example of a character who does this fast enough to use on the fly during an adventure. And yes, the '!' is necessary.

Artifice: Covering both magitech and mythic magic item crafting. Eberron's artificer (but without teh brokenz) is a good example.

Psionics: Pretty obvious. As much as I prefer the 3.5 psionics system as a REPLACEMENT for the 3.5 magic system, I hope with 4e they'll fix the latter and make the former different enough to really stand on its own.

Ki: Again, pretty obvious. There seem to be enough classes to make this practically necessary, unless an OA type book is released with the classes split into martial, psionic, arcane and divine.

The Merciful

First Post
Umm... Is there some description what specifically is meant by a "power source" in the forth coming edition? This thread seems the be about listing various character concepts shortened into a single word. (Not that I would accuse anyone of BADWRONGFUN, but at the moment people seem to treat "power source" a the latest not-so-meaningful buzzword.)

So, speaking of character concepts, I miss my 2nd Ed ranger/druid multiclass with herbalism. He had a jaguar, would scout around as a bird, do occasional battle field controll with entangle and would strike from shadows with a magic bola and poison arrows. For a layman that would be a woodsman archtype (martial weapons, herbal poisons) mixed magical archtype (spells, shape changing) - not sure what his 4th ed power source would be called.

Anyway, since I think toxins and herbs can be extraordinary and mundane at the same time, and because they can't be rolled back to martial nor magical, my vote for the next powersource is:

Herbalism

(I though first "poisons", but "hrebalism" is a bit more varied)

Last edited:

Aloïsius

First Post
Nature ( those are not the druids you are looking for !")
Psionic
Ki

And that's all. I'm not eager to see stuff like shadow, planar... who should be either arcane or divine IMHO. And I don't want science as a power source. Hi-tech and Sci-Fi can be used in D&D, but it's not a power source : a peon with a gun will send you to hell as efficiently as Einstein would. Science can't be about level, it's just about stuff. So, it's not D&D. ;)

KoshPWNZYou

First Post
The Merciful said:
(Not that I would accuse anyone of BADWRONGFUN, but at the moment people seem to treat "power source" a the latest not-so-meaningful buzzword.)

The term has been used explicitly by WoTC. They are referring to the fact that in the first wave of core books there will be three 'sources' from which the 'powers' (the at will, per day, per encounter stuff) that character classes are going to have access to will be derived -- powers derived from physical prowess and expertise (martial powers), powers derived from magic (arcane powers), and powers derived from the gods and other 'higher forces' (divine powers).

We're speculating (I don't think Wizards has confirmed this?) that future core books (PHB2, PHB3, etc) will introduce new power sources.

Remove ads